A horse coat of a different color. The rarest of rare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is sooooooo interesting!!! I love her, Will she always stay that way, or will she change??? If she dosent, shell definatley turn heads in halter
default_biggrin.png
Congratulations
default_saludando.gif

-Dan

Introducing my BRINDLE Buckskin Miniature Horse
Riverdances Brindle...(needs to have Wind in the name too)

Riverdance's Windle Brindle
default_laugh.png
Sorry.....I couldn't help myself.

What an interesting color on a very pretty girl!

Carol

I think "miniwhinny" here has a bay brindle horse??? Maybe she will post pics of him. Color is totally different than the one you posted, but the pattern is similar if I remember right.
I went on Mini Whinnys web site, they do not have anything that looks like her, just a couple of duns.

I have to say, I have never seen anything like her.
It's not the well known farm with that name, but a member who uses that nickname. I think her horse is named Ozzy or something...

Here, I found a partial picture of that horse's body: http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...p;#entry1200284

And here's an older thread on brindles, which at one point included pictures of that horse: http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=71190

Last edited by a moderator:
Riverdance's Windle Brindle
default_laugh.png
Sorry.....I couldn't help myself.
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

I just came from feeding horses and looked at her again. Her stripes are not black, but more of a smokey black and her other coloring is pale buckskin.

Below are some before pictures of her taken yesterday. Last week we had shaved down her muzzle and front of her neck and there were some light strips there and we though she was going to be a roan. If you look closely, there are some stipes on her face and neck.

7.jpg

6.jpg

4-3.jpg

Back in the late 70's, early 80's I had a 4H girl with a big QH pinto mare.

Her paperwork said she was a palomino pinto but her color was just

like a Brindle Great Dane....

The background color was golden but the barring and stripes were so

markedly obvious.

She garnered lots of attention at shows....and everyone was puzzled

at her color.

Had a old vet that had worked as a vet for the US Army and he said

he had seen coloring/markings like in wild herds he'd had to inspect

but she was the first he'd seen in a domestic horse.

Fascinating little one you have there, be fun to see what the testing

throws out.

Thanks Jill for those pictures. Yes, that mare is what is called a primative dun. She has shoulder stripes,( maybe even a few leg stripes, but the stripes are not all over her body) but a brindle, from what I have been able to read, has stips all over like a Zebra or a brindle Great Dane or like this filly of mine.

Thanks Jill for those pictures. Yes, that mare is what is called a primative dun. She has shoulder stripes,( maybe even a few leg stripes, but the stripes are not all over her body) but a brindle, from what I have been able to read, has stips all over like a Zebra or a brindle Great Dane or like this filly of mine.
That's what I would say from pictures, but miniwhinny vehemently denies that horse is dun and says he has no dun parents. She's chimed in over the years on dun thread to give an example of a horse who "looks" dun but is genetically not dun but brindle. It sticks in my mind because one of my color "things" that I love is dun and we have so many duns. I'm hoping miniwhinny will post but regardless, yours is for sure brindle and very cool looking
default_yes.gif

That's what I would say from pictures, but miniwhinny vehemently denies that horse is dun and says he has no dun parents. She's chimed in over the years on dun thread to give an example of a horse who "looks" dun but is genetically not dun but brindle. It sticks in my mind because one of my color "things" that I love is dun and we have so many duns. I'm hoping miniwhinny will post but regardless, yours is for sure brindle and very cool looking
default_yes.gif

Jill,

Based upon everything I have read so far, her horse is not a brindle.(again the brindle stripes have to be all over not just on the shoulders. Those are primative stripes.) Obviously I have a lot more to read and learn about this, but all of the examples of brindles were marked similar to mine.

First of all it seems a Brindle does come from the dun gene, so how can she say her horse is a brindle but not a dun? Both of this fillies parents where dun. One a dun roan. Only reason why I feel the dun roan is a dun is the stipe in her tail. Her body is white so I can not see any stripe there.

First of all it seems a Brindle does come from the dun gene, so how can she say her horse is a brindle but not a dun?
You got me
default_smile.png

I'm for sure not "arguing" a case for miniwhinny's horse being brindle vs. dun -- just showing you a horse who's been held out here many times as brindle and thought you would possibly find it interesting to see.

My own eyes tell me of him exactly what you think you see, too (dun).

Beautiful colour!

I do remember on the old Forum there was a miniature horse that was a registered Brindle... It was darker than this horse, more of a light bay with brackish and golden stripes all over it.

I did have a dun a few years back that showed some "extra" stripes here and there, but they were gone the following year. Let's hope your horse keeps them.

Back