A horse coat of a different color. The rarest of rare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow
default_new_shocked.gif
she sure is something special. I think I will clip my little roan, sure wish she was hiding something unusual,
Cnv0363.jpg
like your girl.LOL

Wow Sue! I love her coloring.
default_wub.png
:wub hopefully, just like some horses of color do she will just get better as she matures.
default_risa8.gif
:BananaHappy
default_risa8.gif
I can't wait to see her!

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to throw in the fact that Miniwhinny's "Ozzy" doesn't have a dun parent......His sire is black and his dam is registered as a chestnut, but is actually a silver bay.

Riverdance your title is just perfect. A horse of a different color!

Hold on to this one. Forget the shows and just keep her close and safe!

I am so taken by the fact that as a foal (and thank you for posting those foal photos) you would have NEVER known she was that color underneath.

I bet Animal Genetics would LOVE to see what she was DNA wise!!!!!

Keep us all posted please.
default_aktion033.gif

What a NEAT color pattern! Does she have roan or grey or appy in her genetics? I wonder if those stripes will stay or roan out...man it would be cool if she kept them!

She is so pretty! I know a lady here locally that has a filly with defiite barring over her topline. She has not been clipped yet. The filly is not registered by I may be trading for her in hopes of hardshipping her later on.
default_smile.png
I don't care clip her until a deal is done, afraid she may change her mind. lol

I went on Mini Whinnys web site, they do not have anything that looks like her, just a couple of duns.
Couldn't have been my web site...I don't have one (or duns lol) just the domain so far lol
default_wink.png

Your filly is awesome. I have a brindle stallion "Ozymandias" . Very different markings and many are hard to see because he's dark bay with black stripes...but this is very interesting...he is a Komokos Little King Supreme grandson so his lines are the same as your filly. The Brindle registry did confirm he's brindle but I never updated his registered color as such. Like MiniV said...NO dun in him but lots of stripes. You can see them on his sides in person but I just cant get them on a photo.

Not trying to upstage your girl...she's incredible...just sharing another brindle. There's one other too in Texas who looks just like your girl I think and one in Australia who looks more like my boy.

o1.jpg

I'd be so interested to see if your girl carries two DNA patterns (chimera)...she's just STUNNING.

That is one cool looking filly you got there. And I thought my colt did a total color change..Wow he hasnt got anything on your filly..

Thanks Jill for those pictures. Yes, that mare is what is called a primative dun. She has shoulder stripes,( maybe even a few leg stripes, but the stripes are not all over her body) but a brindle, from what I have been able to read, has stips all over like a Zebra or a brindle Great Dane or like this filly of mine.
That's what I would say from pictures, but miniwhinny vehemently denies that horse is dun and says he has no dun parents. She's chimed in over the years on dun thread to give an example of a horse who "looks" dun but is genetically not dun but brindle. It sticks in my mind because one of my color "things" that I love is dun and we have so many duns. I'm hoping miniwhinny will post but regardless, yours is for sure brindle and very cool looking
default_yes.gif
You have a good memory Jill
default_biggrin.png
Thanks for mentioning Oz...sorry I missed this thread earlier.

Dr. Phil Sponenberg - author of "Equine Color Genetics" and other horse color books" told me that Ozy "looks like the most wildly marked dun but is not a dun" He has NO dun in his lines - specifically his parents. He was bred by MiniV. The brindle registry sais he is brindle. What's interesting is that your filly and my stud have King Supreme as a grandsire. From the research I've done brindle can be chimera or can me a color thought to be influenced by the smutty gene. My boy for sure has the smutty gene...I wonder if your girl does too? I sure wish Ozy's body color was light like your girl....she's so cool.

Now that is one cool filly!

I hope the DNA testing will get just the information you need. She is really something special.

Congratulations.

Thanks Jill for those pictures. Yes, that mare is what is called a primative dun. She has shoulder stripes,( maybe even a few leg stripes, but the stripes are not all over her body) but a brindle, from what I have been able to read, has stips all over like a Zebra or a brindle Great Dane or like this filly of mine.
That's what I would say from pictures, but miniwhinny vehemently denies that horse is dun and says he has no dun parents. She's chimed in over the years on dun thread to give an example of a horse who "looks" dun but is genetically not dun but brindle. It sticks in my mind because one of my color "things" that I love is dun and we have so many duns. I'm hoping miniwhinny will post but regardless, yours is for sure brindle and very cool looking
default_yes.gif

Jill,

Based upon everything I have read so far, her horse is not a brindle.(again the brindle stripes have to be all over not just on the shoulders. Those are primative stripes.) Obviously I have a lot more to read and learn about this, but all of the examples of brindles were marked similar to mine.

First of all it seems a Brindle does come from the dun gene, so how can she say her horse is a brindle but not a dun? Both of this fillies parents where dun. One a dun roan. Only reason why I feel the dun roan is a dun is the stipe in her tail. Her body is white so I can not see any stripe there.

Riverdance...I'm not trying to take away the "uniqueness" of your mare by possibly owning one too. Brindle doesn't just come from dun it also comes from being chimera and from the smutty gene. I really don't care what color Ozy is..I have him registered as bay...it's not a big deal to me but Dr. Sponenberg and one of the Brindle registries told me he was brindle.

The mini horse on this page

http://www.elcascabel.com/brindlepictures2.html

has stripes identical to Ozy (who does have stripes all over his sides too just very hard to see black on dark bay in pictures) Ozys stripes all over his ribs are just like that one in Australia...hard to photograph lolBut again...like I said...I'm just interested in cool colors and not trying to take away from your filly and your excitement...Maybe one day we could breed our two and see what we get
default_wink.png
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Your filly is incredible and this whole thread is very interesting. I second Joyce- I would love to have seen your face while she was being exposed for what she is!! Hmm, we have a mare with King Supreme in her pedigree........

Maybe one day we could breed our two and see what we get
default_wink.png
default_wink.png

miniwhinny this is a great idea, of course I am in no way involved but would love to see the outcome of these 2 wonderfully different horses!

This little filly is just adorable
default_wub.png
!!! Congrats Riverdance !!!!

Wow...I used to raise Brindle Great Danes and she sure looks to be in that catagory for sure. She reminds me of a Tiger.

Back