wormer for lice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jandjmc

Reaction score
I just purchased two minis that came in from the midwest. I set up a quarantine pen well away from my herd. Well the new minis arrived in good shape with one exception. They have lice. I've already used a recommended topical solution on both and sprayed the area where they are staying. Being located in the southwest, I have limited knowledge about getting rid of lice. Do wormers work to reduce the "lice load"?

I just purchased two minis that came in from the midwest. I set up a quarantine pen well away from my herd. Well the new minis arrived in good shape with one exception. They have lice. I've already used a recommended topical solution on both and sprayed the area where they are staying. Being located in the southwest, I have limited knowledge about getting rid of lice. Do wormers work to reduce the "lice load"?
Depending on which kind of lice (biting or chewing). It is said that oral ivermectin will help control. The lice powders seem to do a pretty good job. Or if its warm enough there, you can bath in a shampoo to treat the lice.

We had a similar issue a couple of years ago with two new mares. Used ivermectin, clipped them and since it was still fairly cold out, instead of bathing we used M-T-G. Stinky stuff (use gloves to put it on), but it worked wonders; it helped soothe their itchy skin and healed the sore spots. We had to keep them blanketed though and I was washing blankets right and left.

If you clip, be sure to burn the hair or it could blow around and infect others. Not fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, it's Ivermectin. We get Minis in here with lice all the time. I treat them topically (multiple times to get the hatching eggs) and with Ivermectin.

I had a really bad case of lice seems like years ago and my vet recommend a spot on fly treatment and you would repeat like in 2 weeks and it worked great! This might be what your already using when you said topical treatment but just had to repeat it incase.

I've heard Ivermectin will help for lice.

I have never had oral Ivermectin make any difference to lice. I think the confusion comes form the pour on for cattle- which will treat lice, but is too strong to use on horses.

I would advise using a good louse powder- fluff the coat up and be sure to wear a mask and goggles when applying- preferably outside with no wind.

According to my vet, the oral ivermectin helps against some types of biting lice only. So yes, it would only help in some cases. But unless you catch some and take them in for identification, you won't know which type they have.

Latest posts

Back