Help, constipated? yearling...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsesdances

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have searched the forum for answers before posting but didn't find results - maybe I didn' t have the right terminology...

Sunday I noticed that my beloved yearling Danu, seemed to have trouble defecating. He was breathing heavily and passed a little quantity of smaller than usual "balls" of manure. I thought he was constipated a little and figured I would observe him. He was fine besides that. But today it was similar but a little worse. He rolled before and lied down after. So I gave him some mineral oil very carefully. He is fine and eats well, but I am worried. I just changed the water bucket for a bigger one on Saturday, so I wondered if he drinks enough... but the water is lowering about as before and I have seen him drink.

We feed first cut hay and he was fine on it before. They get one hour of grazing per day most days and some Ultium (I think in the US - "Juvenile" from Purina in Canada) feed twice a day, dose recommended by the Purina nutritionist. They are outdoors (I have 2 colts) 24hrs/7 days a week, so they have plenty excercice. They have been wormed with Safeguard in February, Exodus in March, Ivermectin in april/may and have herbal wormers as well everyweek.

Dany also always had a big belly - like a huge hay belly since I got him in February. I then noticed they had lice... and treated.

Would it be better to feed 2nd cut hay for them?

I think I should worm them again, I have a tube of Exodus I can use tomorrow and then order more ivermectin for August?

Giving them access to grazing fresh pasture helped reduce the big belly, but it is still a concern.

their teeth are pretty good. The other mini doesn't bloat and has no problems, for now.

I come to you generous experienced mini owners for help and advice once more. Thanking in advance for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention, we are in the time of the year when black and yellow stinging flies are out in huge numbers and the horses get bitten a lot. So maybe Danu is stressed by that. Even if it is now appearant. Today my big horses were freeking out and I put spray on them, and am considering taking them inside the barn in the day time if the spray is not enough. I put some spray on the minis to at super time.

I could also wet the hay...

if I remain on the first cut
Check his temp, he could have picked something up. Hydrate hydrate hydrate. Soak his hay, if he will eat his feed in a mash, wet it down, about 2-3 parts water to I part foot, let it soak up the water and feed it. A bit of vegetable or corn oil ( I prefer veggie oil, usually made from soy) on the feed will help thing along too (2-3 tablespoons to start), if he has acess to grass let him graze or Hand graze him for short periods if he is not use to being on grass, grass is naturally high in moisture content. Offer a plain salt block and a mineral lick if he does not have one. Otherwise, just keep a close on on him. Stay on your

wormer rotation or have the vet do a fecal and worm for what is needed and just skip the herbal wormers ( if it were me). I am not a fan of mixing things up a lot if the horse seems off. Extra water incorperated into the existing diet as well as a bit of oil should be easily accepted.

Thanks. I got some second cut hay (more leafy, more protein) tonite. I gave them a little bit to start to get the used to it. I will wet the hay, great suggestion. Thank you. I was thinking about mixing it with the hay they are used to eat and increase the amount gradually, as long as second cut hay is better for them. I will keep a very close eye on him. For the wormers I was using the vets but had a count of 100 even with monthly worming, that is why I added the plants. My big horses have been on the plants for 4 years and have super low counts, so it works really well with them.

I went to check on him and he was fine tonite and eating as usual. But it doesn't mean he is ok. Vegetable oil is a great suggesion to. thanks

Impaction colic is one of the most serious situations for a horse. It is an emergency level concern.

Thanks and you are right, but he is not having a colic, not now, not yet, but I want to make sure we don't go down that road... I would say it is serious and I am worried and really checking on him but he is eating and passing manure. Just I feel it is a severe warning to change something and keep a very close eye on him. Find the cause, if it is the hay - change it. If he isn't drinking enough find a way to make him drink more etc...

Last night he was a little better but not ok when passing manure, and I fed the minis half 2nd cut hay I went to get for him in the evening and my usual hay to 50-50% ratio so I don't change the feed drastically. This morning he is better, less bloated (or pod bellied, hay belly...) and he is very relaxed. I can see it in his eyes he is better. I will keep checking on him regularlely and keep you posted. I will also go get him some bran to give him mashes and then beet pulp later (like in a few days if he is back to digesting ok). And don't worry if needed I will call my vet, either for a consultation on the phone on the matter (if it is not improving quickly) or if he does colic, wich I am doing all my best to avoid.

If this were my horse, I would at least call my vet to get some ideas. Does he get regular treatment with Sand Clear? Since that is essentially a laxative (Metamucil) I might try that, but again would ask vet first. One other thing I thought of is that it is often hard to tell the difference between ulcer and colic pain, so perhaps try some stomach remedy. I use Stomach Soother, Maalox, or Tums, if I don't feel that Gastroguard is called for. I am glad to hear you are keeping a close eye on him anyway. Good luck.

Thank you targetmom. I went to bring samples to get fecal tests and know for sure the situation with parasites.

I bought bran to give him a mash (if sand or dirt is the culprid - vet suggestion with my latest colic of a big horse this spring). I will place a call to my vet if he is not better tomorrow. I called a friend in animal health who worked a zoos and has lots of experience and she recommended wetting the hay, adding mineral oil or glycerine daily until better and walking and excercicing him a lot. I trotted him this pm and right after it was easier for him to defecate. Maybe the hot weather forces them to be to lethargic to. So many possible causes. Thank you for the help. For sure it is an intestinal problem, the cause - I am still looking. Will keep you posted and update also hoping it may help others in the future.

I have had waaay more than my share of impactions due to lack of water intake.I have 3 Minis now that get fed with their feed in water.I use senior feed, shredded beet pulp and elctrolytes lots of water and make soup.the senior feed is dumped in that and they suck up the water to get the feed out.If manue is tiny and or very dry you need to get more water in the gut or it will cause problems.Tiny or hard poop will mean major problems in the future.IMO just a question of time.Keep water in the digestive system.Keep us posted on the progress.

Hi everyone,

here is my update

I called my vet - better safe than sorry, since Danu is not perfect yet.

She is worried to and we are going to treat it like a colic. No taking any chances

So I will take him inside to ensure he doesn't eat anything until tomorrow am. Give him mineral oil tonite (500ml), tomorrow am (300ml), then start half portion of hay and mineral oil tomorrow night (200ml). If all is well, continue feeding half ration Saturday and normal ration Sunday, giving mineral oil (200ml) until the complete ration is fed, if all goes well. Otherwise I call her back and she will come. I also will walk or trot him 3 times a day minimum about 15-20 mins each time.

I will keep you posted, I am writing this to help if someone else gets the same problem eventually.

My vet said that often some minis can be like Danu for 5-6 days and then develop a severe impaction. So we are taking this very seriously.

Thanks everyone for your help.

malem

thanks dear ones! He was better than yesterday, but I prefer to do as the vet recommended anyways. It won't hurt for sure and is much safer. No chances to take with such matters. I will update. promise

thanks! me to.

I decided to give him the mineral oil the am but to wait to start the hay. Now the manure is "softer" so I am giving half a portion of hay and hope he will be ok. He is not bloated anymore. He must feel so much better! he always had a huge belly since I got him, but not fat, bloat. He is to skinny, and I was not able to put more weight on him since he arrived in Feb.

Also the fecal test came back negative!! so no parasites! with the mini babies here, the herbal wormers proved to be more efficient than the Ivermectin, Exodus, Safeguard etc.But I give them once a week, and 3 days in a row (a different one) every 2 months.

He was really happy to finally get some food! Now I hope he will be ok. The hay has been soaked 25 mins. Thanks bevann for your input. I really think for Danu it is a matter of not drinking enough also. But I also think he has a hard time digesting hay since he is always bloated. I plan to keep wetting the hay for this summer or anytime I see the slightest sign of harder manure. It is not much trouble in my setup and it is better safe than sorry! will add water to feed as well.

Our other mini is fine tough, but it will not hurt him.

If this were my horse in this case, I would give him a very sloppy bran mash for a couple of days with the oil added, also add some electrolytes. Maybe add some molasses for a good flavor.

My horses will drink a metamucil 'cocktail' out of a bucket, one quart water with one tablespoon metamucil diluted in it. Pretty much fixed up the way people take it. It really helps to soften the manure.

My litte guys love it and lap it right up.

Sounds like you aren't in the clear yet - don't think you are please. You need to get lots of water in him besides the mineral oil. Vets can give a shot to help them drink water, makes them want to drink water instead of the old hose down the nose. In any event - you need to get water down him.

Take care....

If you are feeding alfalfa hay, I would never soak it- it spoils very quickly and turns sour. Glad to hear he is doing better as I just lost a mare yesterday due to severe impaction, even with immediate vet care.

Back