Gracie's Mini Mommas' To Be Page- All done foaling! Five Healthy Foals!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Margarita update: Vet was back out this morning. It appears that after the Banamine wears off she goes down again. She has no temperature, her color is good, she is not dehydrated, her cap refill is good, just heart rate pretty elevated as well as respiration. Good gut noise and mobility as well. Only thing is, she had only passed two piles of manure since foaling. My vet did a slight rectal exam and there was a ton of manure (pretty dry and hard) just sitting in rectum. She helped remove that and Margarita had to really work to pass it. It was a huge back up. So as my vet said, this is all pointing to initial uterine cramping and vaginal pain and it has triggered her dumpy feeling and not drinking as well or eating good. The domino affect. So we oiled her and gave her more pain meds. My vet ultra sounded her abdomen and everything looked great, especially her colon and intestine mobility. The peak at her uterus also did not show anything abnormal. So my vet had us turn her and baby out on the back yard grass and give her a soupy bran, pellet & grain mash. She has been happily slurping that down while the baby is running around playing. She feels at this time that we just need to manage her pain as nothing is pointing to anything more.

You're right Mary. I think momma is a silver black (dapple) so this little guy should stay his beautiful color!! As to your concern over a "roach back' -- you must put these ideas out of your mind. This is just a beautiful colt, with no dwarf characteristics at all. He is just a growing baby -- and there are many stages where the babies look a little "butt-high" -- but he's just PERFECT!
Thanks Diane. I just do not want to miss anything. Maybe I need to be pinched as its like I question how we got so many nice looking babies. We have people knocking on our door that see them on the road asking if they are for sale. Yes, we do plan to sell but heck if I know on how to price them. I have not even thought about that. All I have been thinking is are any of them nice enough to show in hand as weanlings, etc... I would like to promote our stud and stuff, so I have a lot of thinking to do....

The nice thing is you can tell them, yes, SOME will be for sale, but right now you don't know which ones. Then, you have at least 4 months before you wean -- so it gives you time before you have to commit to anyone on any one baby, unless you know of one or two that you think you might be willing to sell. As they get older, I'm sure we would all like to look at them "set up" and as so many here show, perhaps we could help you in choosing who needs to be shown.
default_yes.gif
Great advise! Thank you!!

Ha - and here I was feeling jealous because you have all pinto foals and we don't. But it makes it EASY for us to pick which one(s) to sell - the solid color one!! I would be NO help on the pricing, as the only ones that left here alive were given away.

I spend way too much time on the sale boards and website sale pages
default_new_rofl.gif
but it does help when pricing your babies, I try to go for similar prices to similar quality/bred foals in the area.

I have a friend and a expert in the mini horse show world coming to evaluate the foals in a couple weeks. She will give me her opinion on them now and then again in a couple months I hope. Then I plan to have another person out as well. I am also going to have each foal tested for splash and homozygous tobiano. I think that there is a good chance several of them are both of those.

Margarita has pooped three more times since this mornings vet appointment. She did a lot of grazing today and ate her soupy mash of bran, pellets & grain. I hope by morning that I see oil passing through. Her pain meds should be warn off by now so I will keep an eye on her through the night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning! Margarita is doing much better this morning. We have had 5 large piles of poop since yesterday evenings feed time. She did lay down a couple times last night but nothing out of the unordinary. The last pile she did, I am beginning to see traces of oil
default_thumbup.gif

However, her lil guy had to have an enema about 2am. I saw him strain too many times for too long so I went out and gave him a warm water/mineral oil enema and he shot out some really hard fecal balls (milk poop, no meconium). This morning he is still acting a tad uncomfortable but I did find another hard pile of his poop. Lots of tail swishing and trying to run his butt, he almost acts itchy??? When I talk to the vet this morning I will talk to her about the lil guy.

The lil guy is happily pooping now and it is normal foal poop (softly formed) and passed easily with no straining. Margarita is pooping too and the best news is that my vet told me to turn them out with the others. Although protective of her baby, Margarita was so happy to rejoin the herd. I will try and get pictures tonight!!

Great news!

I can't wait to see pictures of your little herd of mares and foals! I bet that is a blast to watch- I could spend hours just watching Mary & Rowdy, so I can't imagine what it would be like with FIVE AMAZING FOALS!

As the others have said, great news! I can't wait to see pictures
default_smile.png

I am sorry, I did not get pictures taken tonight. I am just so busy. I am the show manager for our county 4-H horse show and gymkhana that is taking place this Sunday and we are short on volunteers. I promise to tomorrow.

Margarita and the lil guy (one of these days a name will pop in Gracie's head) have settled nicely in to the herd. Margarita is being very watchful over her lil man but seems so much happier being out with her friends. The lil man is having no issues adjusting to his new friends and he was showing off plenty He is also already trying to eat his moms grain. LOL!

Oh Sandy I am so happy that Margarita and Lil One are doing well and back in the herd, what an amazing year you and Gracie are having
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The County 4-H Horse Show and Gymkhana was a HUGE success. The awards were awesome and the kids all had a great time. I am so glad that it is done with as now I can concentrate on my girls horse camp coming up mid June.

Gracie did amazing with her big horses. Jac, Gracie's all-around horse almost did not get to go as he was a bit under the weather Saturday night and we had to have the vet out to oil him and he was also started on antibiotics. However he was fever free and appeared normal on Sunday morning so he got to go. Elmo (Gracie's jumper) was a bit of a handful being at a new place and was terrible in the hunter hack but came on strong in the over fences only classes. I have to share a couple pictures of Gracie and her boys.

Gracie and Jac were the Placer County 4-H Horse Show Hi-Point Junior Rider AND the ALL-AROUND CHAMPION of the show over all ages & divisions. They were first place in showmanship, western & english equitation and pleasure, trail and even in barrel racing!! The only class they did not do well in was bareback equitation as Jac broke from a jog to a lope twice after a down transition.

IMG_3037.JPG

wow everything seems to have settled down nicely for you Sandy, yay! you deserve a break now
default_smile.png
you and Gracie ahve done such an awesome job! and tell Gracie big congrats to her with the weekend, how exciting for her!

I don't know how you would be able to sell any of your gorgeous babies! but I know I'm glad I don't live any closer to you guys! LOL otherwise one or two might have to come live with me LOL.

congrats again and I'm so glad they are all doing so very well!

Back