What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby didn't have to eat the fish tonight! I managed to get out today; but while at Walmart I locked my purse and keys in the car! It was 4 pm. I had to call him to come unlock me. By the time he could get there it was almost 5 pm. So we decided to use one of three gift cards he had to go out and eat. I chose Longhorn Steakhouse again. Had the same thing I had last time (so did he) Yum Yum!

Their mashed potatoes are so good-they whip some sour cream into them with fresh minced parsley. So good!

H. says go ahead and do the fish tomorrow night.

Well, we loved the stuffed meatballs last night, and our 9mos Great Pyrenees x Golden Retriever, Diesel, loved the leftovers for breakfast.

I've got a client appointment this afternoon, but before I leave, I plan to put some beer chicken in the crock pot, and hope to come up with a recipe that will make use of my whole sweet potatoes. Will aim for a low carb veggie side dish, but may not be able to resist baking more cookies!

default_eat.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I got on another cooking jag, but this one ended in disaster! LOL

I made a lovely and delicious roast pork loin, and while I had the oven going I mixed up meatloaf. I didn't quite have my regular ingredients, so I just threw some stuff together. A little of this, a little of that. Got them cooked, smelled wonderful, they looked good. Sliced off a little piece- YUCK! Soooooo salty and just didn't taste good, and the bit of Italian sausage in there had a really strong flavor. I don't think I've had a kitchen disaster like that since I forgot to put the eggs in the brownies. Makes me mad I wasted 3# of meat, I won't even feed it to the dogs, it's too salty.

I think I am going to nix the fish and just make mac n cheese and hamburger patties. I suppose H. will want his patty on a bun-he's real skinny, but I don't think he really needs that many carbs. Oh well. He smoked us out with the wood stove last night. Ugh! And now it's really windy tonight. I suppose he will light it again. I can't wait til summer so we aren't using that stove anymore. If there is no real wind I don't mind, but other wise-forget it. My stomach's been off since last night, but I think it's the IBS (course I thought it was from the smoke last night). I could just give him PB and J LOL and make me toast and tea!

Well, I woke up this morning to a light coating of snow/ice outside. It's in the 20's and not scheduled to get much warmer. Sigh. I got out my recipe book, looked over everything and promptly put it away, opting for Chicken Tortilla Soup for dinner tonight. If it's going to be cold, that's what I want. I've got two chicken breasts thawing even as I speak....er....type. We'll have that with a little sour cream and grated cheese and it'll make a dandy supper.

I cheated and stopped on my way home last night (I have been housebound due to road conditions for a full month and finally got out to see my daughter and take her visiting yesterday) and picked up sandwiches from Subway (which may be a Canadian only chain I don't know) and a pop each. I got seafood in garlic bread for my husband and chicken terriyaki with sweet onion sauce in garlic bread for me. I could finish mine so will have that for lunch today
default_smile.png
Tonight I will probably make something with eggs (maybe a crustless quiche) with a salad or we'll have left overs.

Nope Subway is in the US, too; and its wonderful. Might be a difference in the sandwiches they offer, but Subway is great.

Interesting, I wonder if there is any difference in menus. Do you also have Quiznos? Same type of place but slightly different menu, sandwiches are predesigned, you don't need to tell them what to add what to leave out. Really like there sandwiches but love the vegies I can add at Subway. I always get everything except hot peppers and olives (used to get those to but my tastes have changed) no matter what kind of sandwich I choose.

I know I've heard of Quiznos, but I've not seen one, it could be a regional thing (I live in the sticks, so don't have much of anything). The biggest difference might be the condiments available.

We have Quiznos. Both Illinois and Wisconsin, so I am sure there are more in the U.S. since they are franchises.

I felt kind of "off" last night and just had some toast and Sprite. May H. scrambled eggs and cheese and toast. Not too filling for a working guy, but he put up with it. I am going to make pot roast tonight with a small chuck steak. And planning on lasagna for H. tomorrow night. I will probably eat a little of that. It's snowing here today. Supposed to get anywhere from 2-6 inches, depending on the area (like they can really predict it anyway). I think it will be over 2 because it is going at it pretty good. Finer flakes, but I can't see the neighbor's across the field except for the faint shadow of the pine trees. (probably an 1/8 of a mile maybe).

We had Subway for dinner last night, too
default_yes.gif
We both love it.

Earlier today, I made an "old faithful"... quick quiche (with turkey bacon, green peppers, purple onions & cheddar). Oven baked some waffle fries and a fruit dump cake. It was good, but kinda all the same color on the outside, and I hate when that happens. Dinner will most likely be left overs of the quick quiche (re-heats great), and _____________ (I'm not sure!).

Looking forward to getting through the canned pie filling I have stock piled so I can use either frozen or fresh berries to make the dump cake like my mom does it now. That will cut down on the sugar calories for sure. Love the recipe but would like to cut some of the sugar out of it for sure.

Tonight, I'm making some oven BBQ chicken legs, roasted sliced white potatoes w/ parsley, onion salt and olive oil, some mixed veggies (from frozen: corn, carrots & green beans), and some creamed peas (using some cream cheese I have on hand). . Trying to stop running the same side dishes into the ground, but not sure if we'll like these sides or not. Guess I'll know in a few more hours
default_eat.gif

PS I might throw in all my cards and also make some "soda biscuits" using some Redd's Apple Ale vs. 7Up. No idea if it would taste good, but I love beer bread, only hate how heavy it comes out. I feel like I swallowed a rock when I eat it, so I was thinking about that soda biscuit recipe, which turns out so extra light. Not that we need to stack on more carbs, but I'm feeling a little creative
default_smile.png

The pot roast was real good. I made gravy out of it too. Didn't make the lasagna tonight though. We had a really late lunch; so I just made BBQ's and fries and green beans for supper instead. Tomorrow night is beef stew with some of the roast beef left from Christmas that i froze.

We had chicken breasts and ceasar salad last night. I cooked dinner and my husband and our son's girl friend made homemade croutons. They used three big loaves of Italian bread with thick slices (which they cut up into cubes) and flavoured them with garlic and other herbs/spices that appealed. I don't care for any bread that is dried out lol, but the both really like croutons and they had a lot of laughs doing it. Seems like a really good way for them to bond a bit and create some memories together.

Hi all, haven't posted in a while, I have dial up and a hot spot that I rent from Verizon. I don't like to use the hot spot too much if I can avoid it cause it uses minutes. Our phone service has been iffy, seems like every time it rains or snows the phone has background noise and won't let me sign on to my internet. I called the phone compay repair number twice and they keep telling me that it is not in the lines but in my house. We were driving to the store the other day and noticed that a car/truck has crashed into one of the phone boxes on our road, so I will need to make yet another phone call after this current snow storm passes. Anyway! I had to share this with you all. Last week I saw a recipe on Racheal Rea so I tried it and it was really good as I'm always looking to jazz up side dishes.

Roasted brussel sprouts: Preheat oven to 400, if using freash sprounts, wash and boil for a few minutes just till they start to soften.

Using a cooking sheet or shallow baking pan, drizzel in olive oil and coat using paper towel. When the sprouts have softened some drain and run them under cool water so you can handle them, cut them in half and spread in the baking pan, I use chopped garlic but you could use freash, I used two teaspoons, and put that over the sprouts then drizzled more olive oil on top. I baked till they were browned. Hubby and I loved them, and the guy that helps on the farm doesn't like brussel sprouts but he ate a small amount and said they were OK. Hope there aren't too many typos in this, but using my hot spot I have to use internet ex. and the font is so tiny I can barely see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I was outside in a long sleeve t-shirt working in my shrub beds and I woke up to snow this morning, and falling temperatures. We won't be going anywhere with all this snow and cold weather so....homemade lasagna! We'll have a late lunch/early dinner. I've been brewing and stewing in the kitchen all morning and it's finally all together. I'll pop it in the oven and we'll eat in 30 minutes or so. Can't wait.

Last night we had roast beef cooked with carrots and I made mashed potatoes using sour cream, yum. Had lots of left overs so since it is now snowing as expected, I put on a slow cooker filled with home made vegtable beef soup. We'll have that tonight with crackers.

i used four slices of beef, cut into small cubes

pureed a quart jar of canned tomatoes, and added pepper, no salt as hubby can't have it, and some onion flakes and garlic.

After that cooked for four hours I added two cans of mixed veggies, I'm sure you could use frozen.

I love this soup on a cold winters day.

I also now have some sliced beef for sandwiches if the powere goes out, or hubby can take it for lunch.

All the food you gals make always sounds so good!

Tonight, I'm planning to make pork chops that I have on hand + ? I'm tempted to do a crock pot mac & cheese w/ some low carb sides...

Back