What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H. worked late last night. Working not as late tonight; but he has the horses in (until ???) due to the frigid temps again. Last night he skipped stall cleaning, so tonight he will clean stalls, so he will still be in late.

I just had a baked potato, some slices of deli turkey and a dill pickle last night. Had a 'stuck on crutches' melt down again, H. had canned baked beans and made himself a turkey and grilled cheese sandwich. I have the crockpot going for tonight with swiss steak and potatoes with a tomato juice gravy. Out of carrots, so I will make a veggie on the stove or 'nuke' it.

Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 0 with a - wind chill. Tonight and overnight the wind is supposed to gust up to 30-45 miles per hour; so I am going to try to keep H. from lighting the wood stove. That's to gusty for overnight; it'll smoke us out! He gets so chilled cleaning stalls from having to make the trips to the manure pile outside!

I'm not at all sure what I will make tonight. My husband was home sick yesterday so we ate pretty light, salad and leftovers/ crackers/cheese, that kind of thing. I baked fresh bread/buns and made meatballs in a BBQ sauce for the guys where he works for lunch today. so he'll have a big lunch. Might just make sandwiches for tonight or maybe a soup if I can decide on one I feel like making and eating.

We were away from home, so I got to shop Walmart and Big R (like TSC), and we ate at the Chinese Restaurant, it was so good.

The oven baked BBQ pork chops last night were good, and I loaded up on creamed peas, green beans, and corn... but had to eat some rice-a-roni as well. I'm only human
default_biggrin.png

I saved one raw pork chop (only about 1/2-3/4 inch thick) and cooked it for my "breakfast" around 9am, but at that point, I've been up so long, it feels like time for something other than cereal. I never did make one in the skillet before, so had to look it up. I just rinsed it and then lightly coated it in some biscuit mix (that was handier than the flour and I figured about the same?). Put a little Smart Balance "butter" in the pan and melted it and had the skilled medium-high. Cooked it about 2-3mins on each side and OMG, it was really, really good. I wish I had more of it to make tonight. Ate it with the left over veggies
default_yes.gif

Tonight, since I don't have more pork chops on hand, we're just doing subway. Seafood sub for me, and not sure what H will pick for himself. I hope to put forth a better effort for tomorrow's dinner
default_eat.gif

Have a flank steak out for tonight. Going to fix it like the Lifetime cookware book suggests. Probably do Ore-Ida fries in the oven to go with and a veggie or two. I have a small roast thawing for tomorrow night. Unless I save it for Saturday. Everybody's mentioning Subway-maybe I will stop and get Subway for tomorrow night. There's one at the truck stop a mile around the corner from us. I think I can guess one for H. I know he has ordered the cold cut combo before. I usually get the turkey. They will have to be cold because I don't know H.'s time schedule again.

I for sure
default_wub.png
Subway. There are more of them around us, and on our commute home, than anything else.

At least here in our area, for January, each Foot Long (too much!), is only $5, not just select ones but all of them. I like to get cold ones anyway, but for sure at that price, when if it's cold, it's just as good the next day and can send it in H's lunch or eat it for "breakfast" myself the next day
default_yes.gif

However, I am still, seriously, wishing I had some more pork chops to pan fry
default_eat.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oven "fried" boneless / skinless chicken breast, green bean / wax bean / baby carrot mixture, some kind of pasta side or mashed potatoes w/ gravy, and maybe applesauce
default_eat.gif

I think we are going out for dinner tonight - probably chinese (thank you chandab for making me crave it lol) since our beef is ready for pick -up at the butcher and that means we will be out and about at dinner time. Leftovers last night again since my husband worked late, didn't get in until after 8:30. I had some of the ham and pasta soup I made Wednesday and he had a salad with some canned salmon.

Now I'm not sure if I'm going to make the chicken after all. Just not hungry enough for tonight. Maybe soup!

The flank steak was sort of tough. I know you have to cook it right. I didn't do Subway tonight. Lots of blowing snow and wind gusts tween 30-40 mph. H. is late. I made mostecolli-plain jane type. Tomorrow night the roast. Jill-I still wish we were neighbors and I could eat at your house most nights LOL!!!

Aw thanks! I never make anything hard or fancy, but love to eat. The chicken was really good, but I thought we'd picked up boneless / skinless breasts. It turned out, we have bought regular breasts so I took the skin off and left the bone in. it still was way more moist and good than when we get it deboned, so now for a lot of things, I will opt for the same kind again and just skin them before using.

Tonight, I think I'm going to thaw out some chili I'd made before and turn it into a chili mac casserole, maybe with some cornbread too and some kind of sides... probably the same boring green beans and corn, but I can't think of what else would go well with chili mac and don't have salad stuff on hand.

PS I also made a quick quiche over the weekend with turkey sausage, frozen pepper strips, onions, and cheddar and it was super good and extra easy! Had it with mandarin oranges and oven fries.

This weather's getting to me! Don't even feel like eating sometimes.

The roast was good. Very tender. Had fries and fruit with it. Last night we just threw a frozen pizza in the oven. I am going to make vegetable beef soup with the leftover roast tonight (I think) with some Pillsbury crescent rolls. If I can get up the motivation, I might make some cookies-snickerdoodles maybe.

We are getting a quarter of one of our friend's steers. I wish it was a half, but we could only afford a quarter right now. Maybe we can get a half later this spring. He will have more. I think he raises them or butchers them in rotation somehow??? I don't know how it works. The first one we had was wonderful. They are grass fed (great hay too-I have seen it) and no hormones, etc. The second was a little heifer that he felt was too small to breed. She was kind of tough and not the best flavor. I think the bigger ones must have beat up on her, LOL!

I love roast, and frozen pizza. Honestly, there's only a few foods I don't think I like or some I just can't / won't make myself try (like escargot, beef tongue, octopus). We will be eating a take-and-bake deli pizza one night this week. It's in the fridge now and I'm looking forward for when we'll eat it
default_yes.gif

Was thinking before when I make chili mac, it gets a little dry. I cooked the macaroni until it was firmer than I like and then just mixed it up and have it in the pot with the chili to cook / heat on low awhile. Figuring the pasta will absorb more moisture and the "casserole" (uncasseroled) won't get dry. I don't even think I want cheese on mine, but I can melt it over H's and P's.

Sorta wish it was dinner time now. I ate breakfast/lunch (same meal) too early maybe!)
default_eat.gif

I really like the chili/mac idea. I have some chili in my deep freeze that I will do that with I think. Good idea
default_smile.png
Tonight we are having tbone steaks, first try of our new beef so here's hoping it is tasty, I find the younger animals have less flavour than the older ones but there is a fine line between best flavour and the tenderness I want. We'll have baked potatoes and green salad with them or, if I find time to precook the potatoes and eggs, I'll make potato salad and green beans instead.

All this talk of chili, I think I'll take out the little bowl of left-over chili I have in the freezer and have it for my lunch tomorrow. [shayne can have canned soup.]

The chili mac was good and I did it in the pot for awhile then put it in a casserole pan. I baked it until it was pretty hot, then put some shredded cheese on top and baked it a tiny bit longer until that melted. Had it with carrots and green beans, and I had added some diced tomatoes and more green peppers to the chili. I don't think the plate had many carbs in it because it was mostly chili and veggies and the chili mac didn't have much "mac", but I think people could make it to their taste or preference easy as can be. There's a ton so that for left overs tonight, but will aim to make some different sides and maybe cancel out the general low-carbness of it and make some cornbread muffins
default_eat.gif

The steaks we had last night were fantastic! Yum, so tender and really nice flavour. Made me want to make them again tonight but I won't. I try to keep our red meat down to only a few times a week even tho I love it so much. Today I am making a chicken stew for the guys lunch tomorrow and we'll have that for supper. I will either make biscuits or corn meal muffins to go with it. The guys like both and so do I so we'll see which I feel like making. I might make some orange waffles for my son and his gf's deep freeze too. They like to have them frozen and just pull one out and toast it for breakfast and since I'm going to cooking up a mess in my kitchen I might as well do it all.

Bisquick's Easy Chicken pot pie for supper tonight. Have lots of left over chicken from the other night, so probably enough to make soup too, or maybe I'll try some chopped chicken sandwiches.

I saved the breast meat today for making chicken salad sandwiches later in the week (probably Thursday nite) I just chop it up add celery and green onions and mayo along with a little salt and pepper. Easy and quick and my husband loves the stuff, he even eats it on crackers if there is enough after we have the sandwiches.

Latest posts

Back