What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made Stouffer's spaghetti and meatballs for me and Lasagna for H. and Pepperidge Farm Garlic Toast. I really shouldn't each the prepackaged stuff with my IBS though. I have a little sirloin for tomorrow night and I think I will do baked french fries and a veggie with it. It's grocery week. I think I will maybe purchase more poultry. Meat is so high priced now though-well, all groceries are.

It's grocery week. I think I will maybe purchase more poultry. Meat is so high priced now though-well, all groceries are.
I just got a few groceries yesterday, and Albertson's had boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.88/pound (don't know about elsewhere, but that's pretty cheap here for chicken breasts).

We eat chicken a lot, and also turkey. I usually like that better than red meat. We also eat pork often but am having mixed feelings over it late. Sometimes fish but that usually is from frozen and often breaded so I know that probably cancels out the health benefits pretty effectively
default_smile.png

Tonight, I don't have anything! I do, but nothing to really make. I had a 6pm client meeting but that ended up rescheduling this morning (bad weather). So now I'm home with frozen chicken that I will make tomorrow. SO tonight, that "take and bake" pizza is up! Yum
default_eat.gif

We eat lots of red meat, but we raise Red AngusX cattle; so eat homegrown beef. Store bought meat doesn't hold a candle to homegrown, there is no comparison. I'm not a fan of pork, and Shayne is allergic, so we don't eat it. We eat some chicken, and a bit of fish; but like you the fish is frozen and breaded usually, although the Gorton's pan fish is good (frozen, but less breading). [Forget what those Gorton's fish products are actually called, but I know the packaging, Shayne doesn't like them.]

I know the kind you're talking about, Chanda, and we like that kind of fish, too
default_smile.png
I love red meat, but try not to eat it as often as I'd like. Nothing better than a really rare steak for dinner
default_eat.gif

We eat lots of red meat, but we raise Red AngusX cattle; so eat homegrown beef. Store bought meat doesn't hold a candle to homegrown, there is no comparison. I'm not a fan of pork, and Shayne is allergic, so we don't eat it. We eat some chicken, and a bit of fish; but like you the fish is frozen and breaded usually, although the Gorton's pan fish is good (frozen, but less breading). [Forget what those Gorton's fish products are actually called, but I know the packaging, Shayne doesn't like them.]
You are so right, chandab! I buy almost no meat in the stores. I am not comfortable with factory style farming practices anyway and it really does something to the flavour. I love beef, grass fed not grain fattened and would eat that 5 nights a week if it weren't supposed to be hard on the arteries. We buy the beef from neighbours since we don't have our own cattle anymore, we raise our own chicken and will raise turkeys this year too. We would raise our own pork but all we like is a pork chop or steak 2 or 3 times a year, the ribs, bacon and ham so we'd end up with a lot we wouldn't eat. So every now and again I buy what we like usually when its on sale. We buy fish usually, the type that is pan ready with a coating or flavouring on it. We used to know a guy who went ocean fishing and he would trade fish for beef. We'd get red snapper and a variety of other fish and best of all he'd give use halibut. I don't really care for most fish but I love halibut. Unfortunately he has moved so we don't get that anymore. Other than that I only buy pre-skinned/deboned chicken breasts (because they are quick and easy if I'm too lazy to cook or forget to take something out) and occasionally a garlic coil (which my husband loves) , smokies or weiners.

Tonight it's oven baked teriyaki boneless / skinless chicken breasts (just using the Shake & Bake mix, but that makes the chicken so tasty and super juicy), mixed veggie thing (green beans / wax beans / baby carrots), and mashed potatoes. Maybe some corn.
default_eat.gif

Soft Shell tacos. Lots of hamburger in the freezer and happen to have a package thawed out. Shayne was in town, so picked up the lettuce, tomatoes and cheese needed.

Didn't get groceries! Frustrating, because I could go, shop in the motorized cart and a lot of the stuff, and have the store load them; but no way to get it all in the house at home on the crutches! Hope H. takes the hint from tonight that we are super low on food stuffs. I cooked his last package of Bacon up (I can eat BLT's, but can't stand cooking Bacon because when I was PG it was the one thing that the smell of made me sick). I froze some and left a little out for supper. We had scrambled eggs with chives, bacon, shoestring potatoes, and california mix veggies (added extra broccoli since H. likes brocolli but dislikes cauliflower and only eats some carrots). Don't know what I will make tomorrow night. There are still pork steaks in the freezer, but I don't eat them. I think there is still a salmon fillet-I can eat that. Guess we are still good for another night or so if I have to. Surprising what you can find if you dig around. Might be a little odd-but it's food.

I had quinoa and fish last night. No vegies but I did eat a bowl of berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries.) Husband came home late again (this new position he has at work is just too much for one guy IMO - of course that might be because he is training someone for his old position as well as the shipper/receiver and trying to clean up the mess left by the last guy) I feel so bad for him having to work 12 hour days but all I can do is try to help him relax when he is at home. Anyway, he just had a salmon sandwich and a glass of gingerale for dinner, insisted that was all he wanted. 'sigh' Tonight I'll make something with the ground beef we just got back. Probably scramble fry it and add in a mushroom/onion gravy then serve it with rice since I am out of potatoes. Along with that I'll probably cook some of the broccoli and cauliflower I grew last summer and froze. At least it is a meal that reheats nicely so even if he's really late again he can have something more than a sandwich.

Tonight, I'm making a "Tangy Slow Cooker Pork Roast" from a recipe on AllRecipes.com that I hope will turn out well. This morning, I'm making a quick quiche with sweet bell peppers and onions with oven fries and fruit salad
default_eat.gif

Shoot, lazy me! After I filled up on quick quiche (which we ended up having with lightly glazed (honey) baby carrots and bread pouding vs. what I'd originally planned), I felt like I'd never be hungry again and didn't get the pork roast going. Probably okay, though. I'll make THAT tomorrow and I always like to make something "special" (which only means different than the usual) for the Super Bowl (yawn to me, but H loves it!). Plus, I think H can make the pork into pulled pork sandwiches for the week if he wants, so maybe it's better timing anyhow. Despite how full I was, now I'm going to go see what I can make on the fly for dinner. Pretty hungry right about now
default_biggrin.png

I got the Subways last night; but then I felt kind of "off" again and only ate some of the baked crinkle fries I made and drank some Sprite. I think the weather, sitting around stuck inside and being so out of groceries here has just got to me. I made some cinnamon rolls (just baking powder biscuits really) this morning and we enjoyed those. I made a BL for lunch (out of tomato, LOL!) and that sat OK. Hubby said he would take me grocery shopping either tonight or tomorrow. I found 3 little chicken tenders in the freezer, so I could make soup with veggies and noodles. That would be interesting at least.

Soup is good! Especially with chicken. That's what I crave when I feel "off".

What did you have from Subway? Sometimes I feel off after that as well, and my favorite thing from there is a seafood sub. I've thrown a few out over the years, thinking they were spoiled, but also, I think the #1 cause of "food poisoning" is actually lettuce. You can't wash out what is w/in the leaf... Iceberg lettuce (which is what they have at our Subways) and I do not get along.

Also, I do think there is some science about chicken soup helping people to heal. I make it sometimes, but with my skills, and my ability to "grow" a recipe beyond the container I plan to make it in, I really don't think I can beat what comes in a can or an envelope
default_blush.png

I hope you are feeling better soon. We had a horse "off" this morning, and one of our favorites (Lou, driving mare who is now 20). She's fine now, but I wonder if for me when I feel off, if it's not also related to weather changes. I think if it does impact our animals (and I know it does), it also impacts us.

Steak for supper tonight, I think its a T-bone, but could be a Rib steak. Instant flavored potatoes and creamed corn.

I had a turkey Subway on Italian with lettuce, tomato and pickle. But I only ate about two inches of it. My "taster" may have been off anyway. Actually I usually do skip the lettuce out like that. Tonight's soup wasn't very good either. I was out of my rice milk and even regular milk that I wanted to add to the broth to make a creamier looking base. I just used more chicken broth and cornstarch (out of flour too). It just didn't look or taste all that great. Had cranberry sauce with it. That tasted good to me. Should have made some baked fries again I guess. We are going shopping tomorrow. (After H. plows us and the neighbors drives again). (Then we are supposed to get -maybe major- more snow Tuesday; so he can do it again, sometime).

Whoo-hoo! Went to the grocery store! Now there's more choices of food to make meals! But we went late afternoon, so I am going to make cheeseburgers, steak fries, and veggies for supper (maybe a salad too). We had lunch in the cafe/pizzaria/salad bar at the grocery store. Only the cafeteria line was closed already. I had mix of pasta salads from the salad bar (macaroni, tortellini and tuna with peppers). Hubby had pepperoni pizza and an Italian salad.

We shopped yesterday too. Had lunch out with our son, I had popcorn shrimp and yam fries (and something called freckled lemonade to drink- lemonade with sliced strawberries in syrup - yummy) and then we just had mushroom soup and a bun for dinner last night because we just weren't that hungry. I had put beef ribs in the crock pot yesterday morning so I will put bbq sauce on them and broil them tonight and we'll eat those with rice for supper along with a veggie. probably a green salad since we have fresh lettuce etc and I like to use it up in the first week after we get it to be sure it stays fresh.

Last night I made a new dish of veal scaloppini with artichoke hearts. I will do this again!

H. is working late again. Doesn't get home til around 8 and then does the horses, so we don't eat until like 8:30 pm. I don't care for this. I don't really feel like making a meal this time of night. I need to make a list of my favorite crockpot meals that stay tasty a long time (otherwise they taste blechh by the time H. gets to them).

Last night I ended up making grilled cheese, baked potatoes and peas and cranberry sauce. Tasted good and was fast.

I am planning Lasagna tonight. I was going to do it in the crockpot and then I forgot to start it, so it's too late now. I will have to do it the regular way. So I will have to find out when H. may be home so I can time it right. I have Pepperidge Farm frozen garlic toast left to go with it.

Latest posts

Back