What to wear in a driving class??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lover

Reaction score
I was just wondering what you all wear while you are in a driving class? I can not stop thinking about shows and wanted to get all my show outfits in my head so that I know what to buy for next year.

Oh and what colours should I wear while showing the buckskin in my avatar?

Should my outfit compliment the horse?

Thanks

-Nicole

It depends on the class...and the time of day.

For day-time classes, a nice jacket and skirt (no "evening" wear in AMHR shows is allowed until after 5:00 pm I believe). If it's an evening class - an evening gown is OK - but should have straps (for obvious reasons....but unfortunately needed to be "legislated" after one Nationals entrant showed more than she intended
blush.gif
)

Also, the outfit could be different if you are driving in Country Pleasure versus Pleasure. Obviously from the title, you could go with something a little more "country" whereas the Pleasure Driving class is just a touch more formal.

As far as color - a black or burgundy dress would compliment him nicely. JMO

laugh.gif

Hi, I think a nice green or blue would look great with him. Yes the color and style

of your clothing can give you a more polished look in the ring. For halter it should

be neat but comfortable [long sleeves please for any class]. For driving country

pleasure is more casual like going for a pleasant drive in the country. Either a

nice summery dress or jacket and slacks. Pleasure is a bit dressier. I prefer to

wear slacks [as you never know when you might have to bail out. Brown and

yellow would also look nice or black and gold. Linda B
wub.gif

You can wear evening dress during the day if it is a stakes class. You have to be careful with wearing slacks as some judges do not like them in a ladies class (personal experience!) Long sleeves for driving as well please for safety sake. I love greens and rusts with gold coloured horses.

MiLo Minis said:
You can wear evening dress during the day if it is a stakes class. You have to be careful with wearing slacks as some judges do not like them in a ladies class (personal experience!) Long sleeves for driving as well please for safety sake. I love greens and rusts with gold coloured horses.
526132[/snapback]

Stupid question here, you say long sleeves please for safety sake, what do you mean by that ( I do not show )

And, can you share the no slacks as some judges don't like'em in ladies classes. ( I would be a done in there as I am terrible I DO NOT wear dresses ) Maybe to a wedding, but....

The heck with the slacks I wear them anyway! I was told one time by a certain

judge I SHOULD wear a hat! I HATE hats!!!!! The only time I wear one is in

roadster because everyone else has to anyway! I WILL NOT wear a hat in an

open driving class. If the horse is good enough the hat [or lack thereof] should

not matter!!! Neither should slacks. Long sleeves LOOK more polished and

professional. Linda B

I WILL NOT wear a hat in an
open driving class. If the horse is good enough the hat [or lack thereof] should

not matter!!!
Around here...if a driver doesn't wear a hat...they pretty well don't get Judged. Same goes for the apron and gloves. Most Judges are quite "up" on tradition, Whether one agrees with it or not, to show; is to be willing to accept a Judges opinion...not necessarily your own.

I myself, find wearing a hat preferable to none, as sun bothers my eyes...a lot. Even if we are showing in an indoor, we always have to get there...from outside.
biggrin.gif

Stupid question here, you say long sleeves please for safety sake, what do you mean by that ( I do not show )

And, can you share the no slacks as some judges don't like'em in ladies classes. ( I would be a done in there as I am terrible I DO NOT wear dresses ) Maybe to a wedding, but....

526138[/snapback]

You can get by with wearing slacks if you wear a long apron over them. In case you haven't seen one, an apron is practically a wrap around skirt, open in the back and worn over whatever you like. It gives the "look" of a skirt. It also makes for quick changes. There are patterns available so you can make your own.

At the local shows, I am usually showing in halter and country pleasure (and often halter and driving obstacle, sometimes hunter), which doesn't leave much time to change. So, I wear black pants and a black slinky in both classes, the only difference is I change my jacket. I wear a long jacket/blazer in halter, then put on a short one that ends at my waist for performance. I would wear a dress for anything other than a local show.

By the way, I show AMHA.

SILVER said:
MiLo Minis said:
526132[/snapback]

526138[/snapback]

Its sort of like when driving a motorcycle in shorts - when you wipe out it does a little less damage if your skin is covered. It also looks a lot nicer and more professional.

On the rare occasions that I have worn slacks I have had judges tell me that I should have a dress on - I am a lady! And was placed accordingly.

I too believe in wearing hats. It is all part of the picture and a nice hat just completes it.

In New Zealand, it is compulsory to wear hat and gloves. As we don't really have any evening shows, evening dresses are not really applicable, except maybe at the National Show.

Most wear a jacket and skirt, or slacks, and the vast majority wear a western hat as well, which I don't agree with - cowboys don't drive!!
biggrin.gif

But then everyone wears western hats in halter classes still.

What I loved seeing at the World Show, was the men in tails and top (?) hats. Very dapper!!
yes.gif
Actually, I don't think they were top hats, but I can't think of the correct name for them
smile.gif

Edited: Whoops! Forgot to add that I drive a buckskin too, and I wear plain black, and my cart is plain black, will post a pic so you can see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wear pants and a jacket because they told me I had to. A dress and off the shoulder top would be totally unacceptable. I also always wear brown gloves and a hat; either Western or Fedora depending on how I feel and where the show is.

smile.gif

honestly i think evening gowns are tacky...... ESPECIALLY the spagetti straps or off the shoulder.....i just dont' understand why anyone would even wear one! just doesn't look right... I really think it makes a very unnapealing picture...Just my own oppinion..

I usually wear a cotton summery flower dress with a matching tee shirt under it and a cute little straw hat (whinney the pooh on it..though it's hard to see unless your up close LOL) for CP and usually remove the hat for Pleasure here at local show's. if i were showing at nationals i'd probably do something more fancy for Pleasure.

We won the ladies amatuer pleasure under at nationals [no hat and in slacks!]
Yes, I imagine you did. I have seen lots in the AMHA, and AMHR pictures, driving hatless, gloveless, apronless...and...darn-near dressless
yes.gif
BUT, in your original post, you were talking "open classes". So, I thought you were referring to "open shows", which are run according to American, and/or Canadian Driving Rules...not just the breed shows.

From what I have seen in many of the "winning" pictures in the MHW, and the Journal, many, if not most, of the traditional driving attire, and rules, are not adhered to.

Its not compulsory in NZ to wear a hat and gloves in any classes except Showmanship. Have i missed the rule somewhere????

I checked the most current available on the NZMHA website and found no mention of it. There used to be rules stating the length of skirts, aprons required and all that junk in there but Im sure it was removed years ago but never compulsory hats maybe hardhats in roadster or perferable to wear a hat in a whip class...

I personally think as long as you wear something you are comfortable in then that is okay..

I wear a skirt and jacket for country pleasure - but usually wear a broomstick skirt with elastic waist, makes for an quick change. And for those potentially awkward moments I pull the skirt on over my show pants.
biggrin.gif

Hats - I like them but seems like there were less this year at World than I've ever seen.

wiccanz, your turnout is very nice with your buckskin.

Jan

rolleyes.gif

ADS requires hats aprons etc. Showing in OPEN shows do not require such.

AMHR rulebook page 245 , Part 12 - Driving Division. Has your dress code for

driving. Ladies are not required to wear hats. The "tradition" for hats goes with

ADS [American Driving Society}. Linda B

Latest posts

Back