What do you guys think?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erinspaintedacres

Reaction score
I own a grade mini stud who is awesome to work with and is broke to drive single as well as in a team. He was a "fill in" for the team of Tom and Jerry who drove in the stampede parades but we never actually saw him in the team. He is black and in the summer he fades a little bit but not too bad. I only have a few pictures of him right now, and none of them are with him set up properly. In the summer picture her still had long hair and that is why it appears brown. (I don't shave my ponies) he has a different bang now, in the pictures, it is cut off so it sticks up. What my question is what you think of him entering a few halter and driving classes at fun shows in my area? Here are a few pictures.

shadowside.jpg

Shadowparade.jpg

Shadowparade2.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

The parade pictures (driving) are now with a different cart.. I bought an easy entry cart but don't have any good picture of him with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you enjoy working with him, what the heck. Show him and enjoy the experience. The worst that will happen is you have fun with him, enjoy meeting others showing and place last. Heck, someone is always last and often it has been me, but the fun is also in the doing. Winning is just extra icing. It is also amazing what you will learn.

Have fun with your cute little guy.

Anie

Geld him and have fun. He looks like he likes to drive and doesnt mind the comotion. Why leave him a stallion. He would be happier gelded. I would show him driving but he is not a halter horse. His conformation isnt great. Also where will you show a grade horse?

Lyn

Geld him and have fun. He looks like he likes to drive and doesnt mind the comotion. Why leave him a stallion. He would be happier gelded. I would show him driving but he is not a halter horse. His conformation isnt great. Also where will you show a grade horse?

Lyn
I agree
default_yes.gif
:

Lyn there are always open horse shows around the U.S. we still go to some big horse shows to act as a training show for our younger ones. The people love the minis.

I agree he isn't halter quality but heck why not show him in halter, but yeah if you can find some shows with driving classes that would be great! I would geld him and have him be my all-around gelding performance horse.

where will you show a grade horse?
When I was a teenager we had local fun shows where you could bring anything, papers or no, and show. They were great fun, even though I didn't have a horse at the time. The rules for entering classes were so relaxed that my cousin once took his goat in the halter class, much to the amusement of everyone there. Since the OP mentioned fun shows I would assume that it is possible they have something similar... though probably not anything so open that you could enter a goat in halter. :bgrin

Have a ball driving him and showing him in open shows and yes halter too if you want. Hes your horse and obviously he doesnt mind the bustle of the crowd. Go and have fun. Not all can show in registry shows with top contender registered horses but still can have lots of fun at local venues.GO FOR IT!!!!!!

there is always a place to show a grade horse from CdE events (which he looks like he might be good to try that with) and open shows.

Heck we are having a sanctioned performance show and we will also have open classes for anything 46 and under including donkeys :)

I think he can be a great ambassador for our breed

Like someone else said not every horse even those from quality breeding programs is a National quality halter horse and that is ok. He is out there with a job and looks like he enjoys it!

Last edited:
There are many chances to show grade horses at local open shows, 4H shows, etc. However, the only reason I see to keep a stallion a stallion is to breed him, and there's not much of a market for grade minis.

I have gelded some champion halter stallions and one of my best bred horses (and one of the most beautiful as well) is a gelding. The only thing a gelding cannot do is breed mares. When it comes to which horses I truly have the most fun and biggest bond with, my geldings top the list.

Take a look if you want: The Geldings of Whinny For Me Farm.

There's not any shame at all in deciding to geld a stallion. I've made the choice a number of times, on horses I had shown very well as stallions at registry shows, and I have not once regretted it!
default_smile.png

I have gelded some champion halter stallions and one of my best bred horses (and one of the most beautiful as well) is a gelding. The only thing a gelding cannot do is breed mares. When it comes to which horses I truly have the most fun and biggest bond with, my geldings top the list.
[SIZE=12pt]Ditto! I had a stallion gelded last month and he may just be the best horse I've ever bred and raised...and if you know Flying A's Heart's Afire, you know that is a pretty bold statement
default_yes.gif
: I'm looking forward to a wonderful show career for "Fury".[/SIZE]

Geldings are the best!!!

What a willing attitude he has! His ears are perked and he looks like he enjoys the driving.........

I agree with all above. Geld him, show him, and enjoy him!

MA

The shows I would be attending would be like 4 H shows and a couple of open ones. I know there is really no market for grade horses in some places, but around our area people are always looking for minis for their kids or just as companion horses. We only have 2 mares, and we will not buy any more unless we sell as we dont want an to go for meat. We constantly have people phoneing us to see if we have a baby yet to see if they can buy it. In the past 16 years we have raised grade welshs and welsh/QH Xs and we have sold them for $20 000 just because they were kid broke hunter jumpers

I am not trying to start anything but papers do not always guarentee a quality horse. Papers are only to keep track of the pedigree and birthdates, just because they have a paper saying that they come from world champion horses, doesn't mean they are not going to have some faults in conformation (like a cockeyed neck, or to short of legs, or whatever) That is just my 2 cents.

I WILL not geld him regardless of of whether I show, just keep him around or sell him. If he was a bad behaved stud I would in a minute, but I will not put an animal who is 9 years old through that when their is no specific reason other than to "just geld him".

I am sorry if that offended anyone! It is just my opinion!

Hi Erin,

Nice to see another Alberta Miniature Horse person! Hope to meet you somewhere out and about this summer! I'll be at the sale in Olds this Friday, are you planning to go?

I'm a leader for a Miniature Horse 4H club just north of Cochrane. We're showing this year at the Calgary Regional 4H Light Horse Show which is in Olds near the end of July. Are you a 4Her? There's only 2 clubs right now with Miniature Horse projects. Unfortunately, you're not allowed to show a stallion in 4H, even if they're Miniature. Maybe you could show one of your mares?

Anyway, he looks like a sweetheart, good luck with him whatever you decide to do.

9 years old isn't old at all for a horse. And you're right, papers don't mean a quality horse, but they help keep accurate records of what's behind your horse and what to expect when you breed. I wouldn't breed your horse if he was mine whether he was registered or not, but he looks like a sweet boy. If he was gelded, he could be in with your mares with no worries, and wouldn't have to be alone ;)

Anyway, there are lots of shows for grade/registered alike miniatures that you could have fun in, so go for it. Are you already in 4H? 4H here doesn't allow stallions.

Yes you are right.... a QUALITY horse is a quality horse with or without papers. Your boy seems to be a very level headed, ideal for driving fellow. Because you asked what we think, we are telling you not trying to offend you either but, this is not stallion material halter horse. Let him be a fabulous ambassador for the breed as a gelding.Gelding an older horse isnt traumatic. I gelded an aged stallion who, had very little discomfort and also, he was a kid safe horse BEFORE being gelded and a more useable horse by the kids he loved after being gelded. kids are not allowed to show stallions here in 4h shows . When I asked where are you going to show an unregistered horse I knew about the 4h but also knew he could not be shown by youth. We have a 4h club locally that has a whole mini division, in fact sometimes that division is bigger than the English and Western and Gymkana portions. Thats actually where Jill and I first met. So yes I am aware there are other places to do that. I personally believe that if you are breeding horses you should breed the best you possibly can not just to make cheap horses for people who want pets. I have sold or given away champion potential horses to good pet homes as well. There are quality horses out there for very little money.

Lyn

I agree that even the big farms are pumping out horses with terrible conformation. Just because a horse has a pedigree doesn't mean that it is a good horse. BUT that said, in my opinion, why bring more grade horses into the world, when there are LOTS of really nice, quality animals out there, registered and reasonably priced. Look at the horse market right now. You can buy some very nice animals for under $1000. It's upsetting to me when I have taken my time to find horses with great conformation, and good pedigrees, and BELIEVE me I didn't pay HUGE amounts of money for these animals, and I sell them for pennies. Around here, our 4-H clubs are now changing up the rules and the horses must be registered to show in the shows. I think that's a step in the right direction as I believe papers say more than the birthdate and the pedigree. It says that someone cares enough to keep track of this horse, where it came from, and if it's not the perfect horse, then you know that those bloodlines may not cross very well. Sorry but this is my opinion. I have been feeling very passionate about this lately because of the horse market, the no kill policy and the number of horses that are going to be out there suffering because no one cares any more. We really don't have to breed EVERY mare and stallion, just because they are a mare and stallion.

I know I went way off topic... If you want a critique of your stallion, I would be happy to do that in a PM, not publicly and I won't offer anything on that unless asked...

All that said, I hope you continue to have fun with him. Driving is such a wonderful thing to do with these little guys and they seem to really enjoy themselves!

Edited to add: We have gelded older stallions that we bought and decided they weren't quality enough for breeding, or simply wanted them have a better quality of life, living with their mares. One stallion was 11, another was 13 and another was 9. They came through famously with no swelling or anything! They certainly weren't unhappy living with the mares all the time. So gelding an older stallion doesn't seem like a problem to me.

They are smal local ranch shows for no points. I would not be showing 4H, just the 4h Like Shows. I am too old to compete in them. Sorry to make people feel like my horses are no worth it to be kept them in full, so I will just leave it at that, because I will have to be told to settle down if i say what i trully think. I am sorry for posting this on here, and have now realized why I don't post on forums.

Have anice day!

I thought everyone's responses were honest and respectful. You asked for opinions and got them. Why so bitter?

I wasn't going to post on this but Matt you are right the she asked and people answered honestly. There are ALOT of really nice stallions out there so to be breeding mediocre to very low quality stallions is really sensless IMO you are just adding to the number of horses that are pet quality and that are driving the prices down.

Christy

I am curious your website states you breed for colorful horses WITH papers. YEt you have this boy at stud? How are you going to get papers on the two foals of his that you have comeing? By the way, the one mare is a silver bay not palomino.

That said I do agree, geld and have fun.

I am curious your website states you breed for colorful horses WITH papers.
Did you ever stop to think that that applied to her APHA tobiano stallion and NOT to the mini stallion considering the APHA stallion is homozygous tobiano? Or did you just assume it was for the mini? Sorry if that came of 'bitter' or 'rude' but guess you have to be that way sometimes on here like many others find necessary...

She came on here asking what you thought about her entering him into a few halter and driving classes, not whether you think she should geld him or not... There are fun shows around my area that do allow intact stallions and colts to be shown.. And I know for a fact that there are some of you on here that have stallions that are not breeding or are retired from breeding that are still intact, so what makes it ok for those stallions to keep their *jewels* but not hers?

*dawning the flame suit as I'm sure I'll be flamed*

Latest posts

Back