What Are You Reading This Winter?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
What are you folks reading this winter?

I'm a die hard Stephen King fan and have read all of his, including 11/22/63. I also like Dean Koontz and have read just about all except his book that came out last month.

Over the years, I've gotten most of my book recommendations from the folks here! I especially love series where the character is the focus of multiple novels. The past year or so, I have enjoyed:

• Charlain Harris --all of her Southern Vampire series as well as her Harper Connelly series -- LOVE!
  • Jeff Lindsay -- all the Dexter Books -- even better than the Showtime series!
  • Kathy Reichs -- all the Tempe Brennan books and both the Virals books -- really enjoyed the Tempe books
  • Patricia Cornwell -- just now on the 4th Kay Scarpetta book and will read all the others -- loving the books and icing on the cake is the geographic setting is HOME to me
  • Johnathan Tropper -- read This Is Where I Leave You and laughed out loud. Read his others and thought they were also good, but not as good as the latest.
  • Kathryn Stockett -- The Help (LOVED IT!)
  • Robert McCammon -- Swan Song (loooooved!)
  • Gregory Macquire -- Wicked (tried it, but couldn't get into it)
  • Lee Smith -- Black Mountain Breakdown (did not like it, but it is one of my mom's favorites)

I'm planning to read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series after I finish with Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta books. I also have the Discworld series on audio, but haven't started it yet. I hope it will be easy to get into. I couldn't get into Wicked -- too wierd. I really love series because I read the books back to back and it's easy to get into a new book when the characters are familiar.

I nearly never "read" a paper book for fun, but listen to unabridged audio books on my office commute and also before bed. I read A LOT that way and it feels like bliss to be read to. Plus, a favorite guilty pleasure is to curl up on the couch with H while he watches TV and I listen to a book on my iPhone
default_wub.png

What are you all reading? What would you recommend or not recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't know what to suggest others read. So glad to know you are a reader. As a writer myself, it is always inspiring to know people still read.

Here is a wonderful website, where one can read tons of super books.

http://www.classicbookshelf.com/library/

I ploughed my way though 'Middlemarch', once again. It is heavy reading and took me almost an entire year to finish. This is a work by George Eliot. (nom de plume of Mary Ann Evans), It is one of those literary masterpieces of massive text, which might appear to some, as daunting. However, Eliot sculpts her characters in depth, and none fail to entice one in. After all, she had much from which to draw, having not been without a great deal of Victorian controversy, herself. Some are convinced this is the greatest novel of all time.

My favourite author, is Thomas Hardy. I never tire of 'Far From The Madding Crowd', and 'The Mayor of Casterbridge'.

I just sent a copy of my 'The Ostler's Daughter', off to my agent in the UK. Wish me luck that they like it.

Lizzie

I'm a huge James Patterson and John Grisham fan.......even though they are not "new" books, I still enjoy them.

In adult books--the last three were

The Silent Gift by Michael Langdon Jr.

Proof of Heaven: A Novel by Mary Curran Hackett

Stay by Allie Larkin

Of those Stay got a 10--laugh out loud funny and tender too.

I reread the entire James Herriot series this summer. LOVE those books.

I read a lot of books for 10-11 year olds to see what's good to recommend for book report books, what's good for read alouds, or what works best for Lit Circles.

For kids, I read these over break and loved them:

Midnight Rider by Joan Hiatt Harlow

Firestorm! by Joan Hiatt Harlow

Love, Aubrey by Suzanne M. LaFleur Fabulous book on how a child deals with grief.

Right now I'm reading Metaphors and Analogies-Power Tools for Teaching Any Subject for a group discussion for work.

Except for books I read for my profession, the kids' books are purchased with points from Scholastic, and adult books are put on hold through the library system--and they call me when a title is ready to be picked up. No high tech reading for me--I want to actually turn pages and curl up in a soft chair with a cup of tea when I read. I like to smell my books.
default_yes.gif

I'll come back to read others' lists once I'm free to read fiction again!

Right now, I'm reading The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan and Mr. Murder by Dean Koontz. I want to read Eragon, but wasn't sure about it...opinions?

I finally finished the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon) and loved it. I'm not usually one for fantasy, but I found myself being wrapped up in the books and not being able to put them down. (Finished the first three books in a week and the last book in less than 44 hours).
wink.gif

Jill- Was that new Stephen King about JFK? I was hoping for it for Christmas but things didn't work out that way this year! But fingers crossed for it for my B-day if a few days!
default_aktion033.gif

You mean I'm supposed to have time to read, too. About the only reading I get done is right here and the occassional magazine. Although, I would like to read the James Herriot books; I've read some of the stories as excerpts (sp?) in other books.

I just read the SK book 11/22/63. I really enjoyed it!
default_yes.gif

I love all of the books by Nevada Barr, especially the Anna Pigeon series.

All of the Sue Grafton books starting with A is for Alibi

Everything by Lee Child.

For non fiction two are on my list of must haves, Top Screwups Doctors Make and How to Avoid Them, and Doctor, Your Patient Will See You Now.

Love the Jane Smiley books too.

Love reading the input here!

Yes, 11/22/63 is about JFK and it was really good!

Having a backlog of books I think will be really good is the best feeling and like I said, over the years, most of my book recommendations are from the members here
default_yes.gif

You will love the Janet Evonavich "Stephanie Plum" series. She is up to book 18 and that does not include 3 other "Plum" books that are not numbered within the series. I have read through #14 so back to the used bookstore for 15-17.

I also saw a teaser on the television last night for a movie based on her first Stephanie Plum book which is also title the same as the book "One for the Money". Will be out mid month I beleive. Well have to go see it.

.I'm with Lizzie on the classics!I spent much of my summer re-reading Jane Austen (Emma, Mansfield Park, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, etc.), the Brontes, Thomas Hardy (Tess of the D'Urbervilles) and my favorite, The Forsyte Saga, by John Galsworthy. This is just a start.

As for contemporary writing, I lean toward literary fiction -- future classics. Topping my list is Ann Patchett's State of Wonder. Fantastic -- beautifully written plus loads of intrigue and adventure. I loved The Paris Wife, by Paula McLain -- a fictional take on the life of Ernest Hemingway's first wife, Hadley. I love anything by Molly Gloss (Jump Off Creek, Hearts of Horses).

For nonfiction, I highly recommend The Dressage Chronicles, by Karen McGoldrick. Well-written and extremely enjoyable.

For popular novels, I love the early Janet Evonavich books. I haven't been as thrilled about the later ones.

Susanne, I risk horrifying you only because you might also crack a smile... I haven't listened to it yet, but I did buy Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (link) through Audible
default_biggrin.png
Unabridged, of course... wouldn't want to miss anything
default_laugh.png

You will love the Janet Evonavich "Stephanie Plum" series. She is up to book 18 and that does not include 3 other "Plum" books that are not numbered within the series. I have read through #14 so back to the used bookstore for 15-17.

I also saw a teaser on the television last night for a movie based on her first Stephanie Plum book which is also title the same as the book "One for the Money". Will be out mid month I beleive. Well have to go see it.

LOVE LOVE LOVE The Stephanie Plum series.

Chosen by a horse by Susan Richards is a good book to read for long hours on end. I am currently reading Horse Whisperer by Nicolas Evans which is also really good.
default_smile.png

Thanks, Jill -- that sounds like a crackup -- and they have it for Kindle! (Does Kindle market "snort guards?")

Jane Austen is a natural for send-ups...I have to greatly englarge the text in order to read, so one of her complex sentences can require three or four page turns.

I think you and I are safe discussing horses, dogs, gross-outs, adult beverages and zombies! The list grows...

Susanne, you will be most happy to know that Explosive Eighteen has Janet back in her rare fighting form. I had missed the feel of the earlier books as well, but kept faithful to her anyway and 18 was worth the wait.

The new movie One For The Money comes out on January 27, I'll be beating a path to see it as soon as it comes out.

I got "11/22/63"for Christmas, and am about 3/4 of the way through it...and LOVING it! Stephen King has done it again!! I'd recently been re-reading a bunch of King's books(I own nearly every one,I think...except anything written 'strictly' for E books, as I don't and don't plan to have, a Kindle or similar.) Including several of his 'Richard Bachman' books, I think I've read about 8-10 in recent months. Have read 'The Stand' at least three times over the years(believe it's perhaps his BEST work??...at least, so far!)

I'd have completed the new one, but have spent many hours having to 'dig out' from recent heavy snows...by my own two hands. Got 'caught out', believing weathermen who stated that we here in NM would have another 'La Nina' winter, so hadn't taken on the considerable job of mounting the snow blower(HEAVY!) onto my garden tractor, so when we had three big storms in a row, I wasn't prepared.Neighbor came w/ his tractor and cleared my 'short' driveway so my kids could get here at Christmas, which I certainly appreciated...but, he also piled snow right in the center of the REST of the drive...creating additional hard work for me! I surely learned my lesson!!

I've heard that 'The Help' is really good; hope to get to read it soon...I don't generally buy hardcover books, though, so will wait until I can find it in paperback.

Otherwise, I like 'light' mystery/drama by James Patterson, Jonathan Kellerman, Dean Koontz, and similar.

Margo

It's great to know so many readers
default_yes.gif

Has anyone here read Kelley Armstrong's books? I thought they sounded good and got a collection of hers (audio), but haven't listened yet. They're on the back burner but hoping they will be good when I finish Cornwell's and Evanovich's series. Gotta fit the new Dean Koontz in there some place, too
default_smile.png

One author I really, really like is Joe Hil (SK's son). I thought his book, Horns, was awesome and also liked Heart-Shaped Box.

Latest posts

Back