What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kendra

Reaction score
I thought it might be fun to see what everyone is reading right now, and whether or not they'd recommend it.

I just finished The Wild Ways by Tanya Huff. It's the sequel to The Enchantment Emporium, which I read mostly because it was set in Calgary and ended up really enjoying. I think I liked The Wild Ways even better. These books are weird and delightful and mostly so much fun to read. If you like magic and humour, I definitely recommend them. I can't wait for the next in the series!

Okay - what are YOU reading?

I'm reading James Patterson's The 5th Horseman. Just started today, hope I like it.

I just finished Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion last night, and LOVED it! The movie will be in theaters in February and I can't wait to see it!!!!

I'm not sure what I'm going to start next. I'm thinking about starting the Shiver trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater. Has anyone read it?

I am reading The Shadow of the Wind and DEFINITELY recommend it! I read it back in high school and it quickly became one of my favorites. A couple of weeks ago when i recommended it to someone I realized I could no longer remember exactly what happened. So, rereading
default_smile.png

I just finished "Finding My Distance," by Julia Wendell, who is an eventer and a poet. Beautifully written, and a great look into eventing.

I also just finished "Dog Stars," by Peter Heller. Not my normal choice -- it's about life after a virus wipes out most of the earth's population -- but it is well-written and very interesting.

Lat week I read Sara Gruen's "Riding Lessons" and "Flying Changes," which were better than I expected, although I wanted to slap the characters.

I'm in the midst of "The Marriage Plot," by Jeffrey Eugenides...contemporary literary fiction about a trio of Ivy League graduates in the early 80s. So far, so-so.

I've also begun "Kick On," by Kelly Jennings...too early to say yet what I think, and I'm re-reading Leon Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina."

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to read Anna Karenina last year - are you a fan Susanne? I didn't get very far ...

I am honored to join this group(thanks for the 'invite', Sara!) I don't know how much I can contribute, but I'm happy to learn what everyone else is reading(for some good ideas!), and just share in the pleasure of reading!

I am 're-reading' a PILE of paperbacks and other books I've accumulated over some years! Have made it through nearly all of my Stephen King books(single stories)in the past year, and am now on my second Jeffrey Deaver. I like his Lincoln Rhyme books, though this one has a female 'heroine' detective.

Margo

I tried to read Anna Karenina last year - are you a fan Susanne? I didn't get very far ...
I read it in college and liked it then, but of course the threat of a grade is great motivation to finish a book...we'll just have to see how I like it the second time through.

Hi Margo, glad you're here.
default_smile.png

There are so many books that you guys are mentioning that I've never heard of before. It really make me feel limited in my reading materials and knowledge. Lol.

I'm reading Scrambled Eggs at Midnight by Brad Barkley and Heather Hepler, before that Two Truths and a Lie by Sara Shepherd (Lying Games series). I was curious about the books after watching the tv show, I don't love them, but want to know what happens and they are an easy read.

The Fellowship of the Ring from the Lord of the Rings trilogy....

I just finished The Wild Ways by Tanya Huff. It's the sequel to The Enchantment Emporium, which I read mostly because it was set in Calgary and ended up really enjoying. I think I liked The Wild Ways even better. These books are weird and delightful and mostly so much fun to read. If you like magic and humour, I definitely recommend them. I can't wait for the next in the series!
I LOVE her books! Summon the Keeper is awesome!

I read it in college and liked it then, but of course the threat of a grade is great motivation to finish a book...we'll just have to see how I like it the second time through.
I read that back when I was discipling myself to read "classics". I don't remember much about the romance part, but the scenes from the farm where he tried to introduce labor saving machinary to the workers stuck with me. Probably would not re-read that one.

Ok, I decided to go with the Shift trilogy by Jeri Smith-Ready. I tend to read a lot of Young Adult books. :/

I am re-reading The Passage by Justin Cronin (the second book, The Twelve, is out so I wanted to read the first one again)

Heroes Proved by Oliver North (it is fiction and I just started it)

and I'm trying to start 77 Shadow Street for Decembers book but I've been procrastinating. I don't really like to read multiple books at once. Think I'm gonna try to hurry up and finish The Passage, put Heroes Proved on hold and start over with it once I finish 77 Shadow Street.

I highly recommend the Passage, it is awesome. http://enterthepassage.com/the-passage/

I LOVE her books! Summon the Keeper is awesome!
I'm looking forward to working my way through her backlist!

Last night I read one of the Heartland books (Sara, you're not the only one who likes YA!) - I enjoyed it, reminded me of the Saddle Club books I grew up on. I think (based on a sample of one) that the Heartland books are a little more accurate with the horse info, but I certainly enjoyed the Saddle Club series - still have over 60 of them in my collection! ;-) But if anyone out there has horse crazy girls in their life, the Heartland books would be good Christmas presents!

There's just something about the simplicity of books meant for younger people. I don't like spending a lot of time trying to figure out what the author is trying to say, or big words I don't recognize, or even tons of needless scenes and dialog. Guess I'm a shallow reader. ;)

I remember reading books in The Saddle Club when I was younger. It seems like there was another horse series too, but I can't remember what it was. Now it's gonna bother me.... Lol

I'm currently reading 77 Shadow Street, and have Blood LIne on the back burner. I'm having a hard time getting in my reading time since I'm baking now, and getting out decorations, plus horse chores. What I need is a snow day! HAHA weather has been too warm for that! One of my mares was off her feed yesterday and so I spent alot of time in the barn watching her. Don't worry she's fine, I think the neighbors dogs aggraviated her the night before, as she came in the barn real wary, was eating her hay but not interested in grain. once she got back out she was fine and has been ever since. Sometimes they are such sensitive creatures.

I hate when the horses (animals) act 'off'. I am a huge stresser and I think it usually bothers me more then it does them. Glad your mare is back to normal. What is the Blood Line book you are talking about? It sounds familiar but I can't place the name.

Blood Line by James Rollins, A Sigma Force Novel. I only read the first chapter then started the Dean Koontz one, and put this one aside. I seem to only be able to read one story at a time, or I get them tangled. The Sigma Force is a American military operative that he uses in his books, he likes to mix the past of real history with the fiction of the present. This one is about immortality and the staff of Jesus, also about the President of the USA who has his daughter kidnapped while she is on vacation. She is pregnant with a special child. That is all I'm giving away, wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone.

Right now, I'm reading the 9th of the current 10 books total in Victoria Lauries "Psychic Eye" novels, called Vision Impossible. It's good and I like the series a lot (light and entertaining).

After I read #10, then I'm going to read the reading circle, 77 Shadow Street.

How are you all liking the 77 Shadow Street book? I haven't wanted to read the threads because I don't want spoilers... but am hoping it's a good book.

Latest posts

Back