Who Else Loves SOUTHERN FICTION?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
That great Saving CeeCee Honeycutt book got me back into the grove of enjoying Southern Fiction. I've always loved it, but had drifted away into spending more time reading other sorts of fiction. It almost feels like coming home to me. I can usually relate easily to the geography / towns / way of talking... and the humor is a big plus to me as well!

For those of you who also like southern fiction, which authors do you enjoy and would recommend? Or specific books you really liked?

My favorite authors of this type, but I'd LOVE (LOVE!) to know of more, include:

• Fannie Flagg
  • Mark Childress
  • Elizabeth Berg
  • Lee Smith
  • Joshilyn Jackson
  • Pat Conroy

... some of my favorite specific novels:

• The Prince of Tides, by Pat Conroy (need to re-read it... it's been a couple decades!)
  • The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
  • Crazy in Alabama and Georgia Bottoms, both by Mark Childress
  • Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson
  • Fried Green Tomatoes and Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man, by Fannie Flagg
  • To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
  • The Color Purple, by Alice Walker

What about you all? This is such a satisfying "type" of fiction and right now, I feel like I could eat it with a spoon, I'm so enjoying it again! High five to the LB book club for helping me remember how fun it is with the CeeCee book
default_yes.gif

I have never really read Southern Fiction. A few of my smaller YA books are set in Louisiana, but they don't have the same 'feel' that CeeCee did. I will defintely read more in the future because I liked the charm.

I really like John Grisham books and most of them are set in the south. Some of them really give you a feel for earlier periods.

I like the Sarah Boothe Delaney mysteries and actually anything written by the author, Carolyn Haines. Although they are easy reading mysteries, they evoke the Mississippi Delta and she always writes about the land, the seasons, the people and weaves it skillfully into her stories. It's as if you take a journey to the Delta.

Latest posts

Back