Fellow Zombie Fans -- I think you will be GLUED to this book

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Fellow zombie book fans -- READ THIS BOOK!
default_yes.gif

OMG, it is outstanding. It's part of a series, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through this first one and I'm loving every second
default_biggrin.png

Not only is it full of zombies, but it is centered around a US Presidential election, the power of social media, bias and news coverage, AND it has horses (!!!) as a key aspect in a way you'd not probably imagine
default_yes.gif

Seriously, unless it also contained recipes for some decadent yet calorie free desserts, I couldn't be more impressed
default_eat.gif

It also has a female lead, which I always seem to relate to better
default_smile.png

It is sooooo good
default_cheekkiss.gif

FEED, by Mira Grant

Shaun and Georgia are orphans of the Rising, the cataclysmic event which left the world reeling in the aftermath of the zombie uprising. Adopted by the Masons and raised in the strange world of the post-Rising media, they've spent their lives chasing the next big story, the one that will allow them to break into the big leagues once and for all. Now, in Senator Peter Ryman's run for the Presidency of the United States, they've finally found it.

All they have to do is survive until the election.

In a world filled with the constant threat of both the living and the living dead, it will be all that Shaun and Georgia can do to keep themselves in one piece. Accompanied by the rest of their blogging team, Senator Ryman's staff, and a whole lot of caffeine, they might succeed...or they might finally answer the big question of their post-Rising world: When will you rise?

Link: http://miragrant.com/feed.php

a2f40f8a29bf31991e17358bf830d30b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This book (still on the first) made me cry about halfway thru. But it's just THAT good. I'm so hooked!!!

My daughter loves the Zombie stuff, will have to get it for her, thanks for the heads up!

I went and checked it out of the library a few days ago. I am already done with it. It was a great book. Now I have to see if they have the next one in the series

I just looked on our library's website for the second book. They don't have it. Why would they have the first book to the series and not the other two? I am gonig to have to find it. There was a preview of Deadline at the end of Feed and that one seems like it is going to be just as good.

Can you request they get it? My "copy" of it is an Audible download, or I'd loan you mine. I just started #3 and it's SO good. Loved #2 even more than the first. This 3rd one is considerably longer and I'm happy since I think it finishes out the series and I don't want to be done reading about the characters and the world in this series.

Can you request they get it? My "copy" of it is an Audible download, or I'd loan you mine. I just started #3 and it's SO good. Loved #2 even more than the first. This 3rd one is considerably longer and I'm happy since I think it finishes out the series and I don't want to be done reading about the characters and the world in this series.
My husband has credits through Amazon for his Kindle so I think we are going to get them that way. I don't like reading off of Kindles but if that is the only way I can do it I will. There is only 3 books in the series but like Twilight Mira Grant does have a story that branches off from the Newsflesh series but you can only get it digitally and I am not sure if there is an audio version.

We looked at two used bookstores yesterday and neither one of them had anything by her or had heard of her. The one lady just kind of made a face when I said it had to do with Zombies and then sent me to science fiction and fantasy but I knew it wouldn't be there and wasn't.

I just requested all 3 from my Library! I hope I dont scare my self too bad. Zombies are a huge nightmare for me! LOL!

I'm SOOO into this series. I'm on the 3rd book, which I think ends it, but then have a novel that, I think, fits into the 2.5 slot. It is SO GOOD!

Another zombie series I just was hooked on within the first page is Mark Tufo's Zombie Fallout. VERY GOOD! There was a character that cropped up as major in maybe the 2nd or 3rd book that I didn't enjoy at first, but in sticking with it, it does come together. Rise Again is another that is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good, and with a female lead, and apparently a sequel due out soon.

There's this one series with now four books called "White Trash Zombie" by Diana Rowland, and man that one is fun! Not really scary, but just really, really good. \

Probably I should post this disclaimer:

* I think almost any book or movie is better if it has a zombie or two
default_biggrin.png

I just got this delivered on my ipad for less than $3.00. They say it's more political than Zombie? Whatever. I will give it a shot.

There is a political angle, but I think it's more about zombies. It probably depends on who's giving the review! It's one of very few fiction books I've read were the conservative politicians are not a given to be the really bad guys. While I did like that part, because it nearly never happens in a book or on TV, it was the characters, the "science", and the storyline that kept me glued to it. Tons of zombies, characters I cared enough about to make me cry, etc. If you like the first one, do not stop. I thought I might not like the 2nd one, but was hooked very quickly and now loving the 3rd. I think the book has great story telling and character development. I just wish there were 20 more in the series!!!

I ended up ordering the other two in the series from Amazon today. We looked for the Kindle but it would have been more to read them on the kindle and I don't even like kindles. They are used but I don't care. I read books and then pass them on. My husband is going to read the series after I do and then we donate them.

We can't wait for The Walking Dead to come back on. It's the only television show I care anything about. I could do without everything else and we basically do as we don't have cable so get The Walking Dead through iTunes.

I can't wait for The Walking Dead to start up again, either!!!

If I were buying physical books, I'd also get them used! No doubt. Half.com has been a good resource for me in the past, and is connected to Amazon. I am just tooooo darn lazy to read to myself when it comes to books I get for fun anymore, so I take full advantage of my account with Audible. It saves me A LOT of money over what I'd have to pay for audio books without a membership. But, I know not everyone enjoys audio books. They're my favorite way to read and actually my favorite way to be entertained
default_smile.png

Glad you got the other two! This is such a great series. There is this one Novellla that is like "2.5" in the series, but when I heard the end of #2, I had to plow into #3. Just some things I didn't expect, and wanted to see how they unfolded. I was pretty sure they wouldn't fully unfold in the novella, and that I'd still enjoy the novella on the heels of #3.

This author, Mira Grant, is a pen name. If you google her, you will see the name she normally writes under. When I looked into what else she has written (quite a bit of books!), I didn't think I'd enjoy them like these... seems to be too far out / too sci-fi for me to relate to, but I may come back to her yet. I sure love this NewsFlesh series of hers!

Jill, have you read the series by Anthony Giangregorio? My husband says there are 11 books in the series and it is about zombies. He says they are pretty good but I don't know as I have not read any yet. He also gave me other names of authors who do zombie books if you want me to list them.

Amanda, I would LOVE to hear your recommendations!!!

I've heard great things about that Anthony Giangregorio series, but as far as I can tell, at this time they aren't in audio format or at least not on Audible.com. I'm the queen of lazy when it comes to reading for fun... my favorite way to relax it to close my eyes in bed and be read to, but also, I like listening to books to and from work. I won't read for fun anymore unless I can listen to the book but for as much as I've heard about the Anthony Giangregorio books, I bet I'm not the only one waiting for it to come out on audio -- so maybe it will before long!

Please tell us about the other books!!! I sort of think any book's better with a zombie
default_yes.gif

One zombie series I can recommend is Mark Tufo's "Zombie Fallout" (I was hooked in the first minute because of "Sir Licks A Lot!"). There's an "unusual" element that comes out in that series, either near the end of the first or 2nd book. At first, I thought I didn't care for that "tweak", but keeping with it, yeah -- it's REALLY good!!! I think there are 6 or 7, including a novella that's super cool and set in the 1800's.... gives the background to what went into what went wrong in the world Tufo creates.

Read a BUNCH of super good horror novels the past couple of months, and maybe I'll make a thread about them (?). One

Okay, I haven't read any of these but my husband says they are pretty good:

David Wellington-Zombie Anthology and The Undead

Robert DeCoteau-Zombie Tales-Primrose Court Apartment 305, then there is the same title with apartments 502 and 205, my husband says these are short stories

J.L. Bourne has 3 books-Day by Day, Armageddon, and I don't know the 3rd

Max Brooks-World War Z

Then there are the ones that Robert Kirkman wrote that aren't a part of his graphic novels, Rise of the Governor, Road to Woodberry, Just Another Day at the Office, and Fall of the Governor. I am not sure but I think one of those has not come out yet but will be soon.

Lastly, I have Brian Rowe-Townhouse, a Tale of Terror, I am told it is only an E-book

I don't know if any of these are audio books or not. I tried audio when I had eye surgery and really didn't care for them so I have never looked to see.

Back