What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm reading Evidence Based Horsemanship by Dr. Stephen Peters and Martin Black. Very interesting!

I'm reading Evidence Based Horsemanship by Dr. Stephen Peters and Martin Black. Very interesting!

I haven't been reading much lately. I think I'm burnt out and stressed at work, so it's hard to get into the reading mood. Not to menion that I'm struggling with my eating addiction right now, and I always want to grab a snack when I read. (Oh hum)

Untold Stories- Alan Bennett, and The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins- again as you really need to read his books five or six times to actually understand them (well....I do, maybe it's an age thing)

I have just finished reading my way through every book Terry Pratchet has written in the "Discworld" series, that was fun!!

I'm currently reading The Swarm by Frank Schatzing. It's The Day After Tomorrow meets The Abyss. I am only 150 pgs in, but it is so good. Already lots of intensity and it is very thought provoking. Loving it.

I like that bookstore's name, that is too cute.
default_smile.png

I've always wanted to read Salem's Lot. I just haven't worked myself up to being a Stephen King fan yet. I don't usually care for his movies, but books are always better then the movies, right?
default_smile.png

I've always wanted to read Salem's Lot. I just haven't worked myself up to being a Stephen King fan yet. I don't usually care for his movies, but books are always better then the movies, right?
default_smile.png
OMG, yes! I think he's the greatest storyteller alive!!!

Does it have that wonderful Southern charm?
default_smile.png
I spent an extra $1.50 (big spender, I know) to order it from someone here in California. I'm about a day away from finishing Practical Magic, so I'll be ready to start another book. Hopefully it gets here tomorrow. *fingers crossed*

With SK books, they are mostly set in New England, and he is a yankee
default_smile.png
But I don't know another author who brings the characters and stories alive like he does. Even with things that SHOULD be unbelievable, he will make you believe
default_yes.gif

(DUH! so after i hit enter, I see you are talking about the Saving CeeCee book -- yes, it is wonderfully, blissfully southern fiction!)

default_smile.png
I doubt there is a writer, living or dead, who can convey horror and fear the way King does. I have not read any of his books since Cujo. Salem's Lot was absolutely frightening. I read those 30 years ago. I'll never read another. The only movie of his that I might ever watch again was Christine. JMO!

An anecdote about Salem's Lot: A neighbor was reading the book after I had finished it. She had put her fireplace ashes in the garage before they were cool enough and her garage caught on fire. She was so scared, because she was reading the book, that she would not go out in the garage and see what the noise was. Fortunately, a neighbor saw the smoke and called the fire department!

I forgot Stephen King on my lest- I have read every book he has written bar the Gunslinger series, which I di not get into at all, too "Michael Moorcock" for me. What about his collaborative books- The Black House and there's another one that slips my mind....He seems to be an obsessive writer- he says he has NO idea where it comes from!

Ok, I just looked up a list of his movies and I was wrong. There are quite a few that I do like, many I didn't realize were his. I don't know if I like him too much as a person. I heard some comments he made a couple of years ago, over the whole Twilight thing. While Stephanie Meyer's may not be the writing genius that he is, I'd say that she did really good for her first try. I think it shows a lack of character for him to degrade what someone else worked hard on, just because he himself didn't enjoy it.
default_thumbdown.gif

I think that's very often the case. SK is a great writer when it comes to characters you will care about and relate to. He's done great work with stories that are not at all horror (though I do love them!).

His son has written under the name of "Joe Hill". Loved both his novels, Heart Shaped Box and Horns (even with the political themes that are not what I personally follow... it still was good!)

SK's books always hook me in the first couple pages, since way back when. There are two specific SK books that didn't do it for me (Gerald's Game and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon -- I just felt like they were not novel mamaterialbut maybe short story (as if I am an authority! ... just wouldn't hold them out as the first SK books a person should experience.)

Rabbit / Jane -- I did love the Talisman and Black House! It amazes me that two writers (Peter Straub is the co-author) can work that well together. There are some themes I especially noticed in BH that do relate to the Gunslinger books. Those, I think, are SK's masterpiece, or at least what he feels is his masterpiece (I ate them up!). If you have read that series, you see that thread of it are woven throughout his other works.

Ok, I just looked up a list of his movies and I was wrong. There are quite a few that I do like, many I didn't realize were his. I don't know if I like him too much as a person. I heard some comments he made a couple of years ago, over the whole Twilight thing. While Stephanie Meyer's may not be the writing genius that he is, I'd say that she did really good for her first try. I think it shows a lack of character for him to degrade what someone else worked hard on, just because he himself didn't enjoy it.
default_thumbdown.gif
LOL! I think he was right about Stephenie Meyer BUT that didn't keep me from reading and enjoying all her books
default_biggrin.png
The more I hear him talk, vs. reading his books, the less I want to like "him", but I'm just a HARDCORE fan of his books (he is my ultimate favorite author). I don't embrace many of his own opinions, but I will not ever miss one of his books. He is just unmatched imo when it comes to modern day authors. He is not just very popular, but also has talent that is not matched by any author I like to read, and there are many I enjoy. SK is in a class of his own as a real, true, living treasure.

I could not get into the Gunslinger books, and I disliked that chapter in Black House, too, it just does not get me. If you do like them, though, have you read any Michael Moorcock, cos it sounds as if he would be right up your street. He is way before SK's time (although he is still writing he is older than me, so- OLD!!)

And I forgot Kate Mosse (Citadel/ Labyrinth/ Sepulchre/Winter Ghosts)) It will make you long to go to the Langue D'Oc- very atmospheric! And then Kate Morton- The Forgotten Garden/ The House at Riverton/ and her best so far IMO The Children's Book (not a children's book!!) And The Distant Hours- twists and turns a plenty!! You'll never see the end coming, I promise and it'll leave you feeling really sad for the people in the story- it comes alive. I'll read anything, basically, so long as it has words! Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is rubbish, I get all my books at Car Boots or in Thrift shops so I waste a couple of dollars at most- one day I shall pile them all in the van and take them back to a sale and let someone else have the pleasure of owning them for a while!!

I have read all of Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)'s books and I would not know a carburetor from a crank shaft (but then, neither would he....) They have me laughing out loud, and scaring the dogs!!

I do like TV, don't get me wrong, I watch quite lot that I record, but I still have the last series of Doctor Who to wade through( and killing Stephen Moffat is head of my TV to do list...) so I don't watch any live TV.

Latest posts

Back