waiting for vet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope he's continuing to do better this morning!

Barbie

Well wishes for your little guy. did you vet give him DMSO intravenously?? Many years ago we had a arabian colt that reared up and over backwords and had head trauma. He could barely walk and his eyes could not focus. he was treated by our vet asap with DMSO and he did make a full recovery, though it took almost a year for him to come back 100%.

Well I am happy to say Dev is doing so much better today. When my husband gave him his meds this morning, didn't wait for me to hold him, I was happy to hear that Dev tried to kick him and Dev didn't fall down. He also bucked a bit too after his needle. My husband thought I was nuts when I said that is good. I didn't mean it was good he tried to kick him but good that he could kick without falling down. LOL His swelling has gone down and he is standing more now and walking from one side of the stall to the other. He no longer is shaking his head and the swelling has gone down over his eye. Tonight he was good too. Hope he continues to improve.
default_aktion033.gif

Shana- Sending prayors your way. We are dealing with a real similiar situation with our stallion here. Going thru testing. They are leaning towards head and neck injury as well but are doing tests for wobbles, EPM and a few other things. Have no idea what he did and when I drive him he is fine. But several times at nationals he fell over especially when we lifted his head. We have him on banamine to control the inflamation and keep him comfortable.

So happy to hear hes doing better! Horses cause us so much worry. I keep saying between them and the kids its no wonder I have to keep coloring the grey out of my hair LOL

Kaykay that is true. LOL They say things happen in threes. A few weeks ago had a mini mare get kicked by my gelding in the trailer getting a cut inside her vulva(a lot of blood-legs and tail were bright red). Had vet out for that, luckily nothing to serious and didn't need stitches. She is now fine. Then after that I had a mini mare decide she was going to check out a porcupine and had about 30 quills in her nose. Ouch! Then Dev and his head injury. Hope I don't have to see a vet again anytime soon. LOL
default_wacko.png

So glad to hear Dev is doing better. Hope he continues to improve! And I am so glad you posted about your mare that got kicked, because among our run of bad luck lately is a mare that just got kicked in her vulva. Bleeding is minimal. Area vets are at a conference this week, but I did hear that injuries to the vulva heal well. Let's hope so! Vet will see her Monday.

UPDATE OCTOBER 12, 2010:

Well Dev is outside with 2 of his mares, back to his old self, running and playing like normal, only thing is he lost a bit of weight and is a little nervous around his head now but that is something I can work on.
default_biggrin.png

Update December 2010:

Dev is back to his old self. Acting the way he use to before his injury. Thought I would let everyone know.

Wonderful!! That has got to be one of the scariest things, to see a horse not be able to stand properly with equilibrium loss. I'm glad he is back to his old self. Merry Christmas!!

OMG that is terrible, poor baby. Hope he will get better soon.
pray.gif
pray.gif

Yeah I am glad he is doing great too. He is back to prancing and showing off to the mares, when I lead him to the barn he always snorts, tries to rear and prances when we past the mare pasture to let them know he is there.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back