Stormy's back! I am starting her foaling thread again

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Night Renee
default_smile.png

I don't want to stress you, but Diane is it normal for him to be rolling so much? ever since I tuned in he has been rolling... Its probably nothing, but I just get real scared seeing horses roll now after everything with Finn. would love your opinion on this?

Thanks.

and Kara he is absoloutly gorgeous! what stunning facial markings he has! good job Stormy! yippee

ok thanks Diane
default_smile.png
yeah as soon as I sent you the message he got up LOL OF COURSE!

I'm just a bit of a worrywart now from everything with Finn LOL and I had just popped the camera up and he was down rolling... but he has been up and drinking for a while now... standing a bit uncomfy but looks ok so I'm glad.

Sorry everyone If I stressed you lol

Sorry you missed it Cassie! Thanks for watching her before. It's like she waited until you took your eyes off her. She was sneaky! Anyways, thank you for the text, hubby gave another enema, and we are going out in a bit now to check on everyone & feed before bed.

On another note, I still have Snowball a Maiden who is due May 8th. Was wondering when you guys thought I should switch their stalls with the camera?

OK so what consistency should a foals poos be?? What is normal and what would require treatment? I know when I see everyone say they are straining it seems like the poo is too hard. Is the first poop like a human babies first poop? Black tar? (yuck lol)

haha its ok. yeah sneaky mumma,

no worries about the text. if I see anything I don't like is it alright for me to text you during the night?

I'd like to watch him to... I will keep him up with the other mares today. to make sure he is drinking and pooping.

as Diane said how are his poops now?

haha pretty much Megan. lol some foals handle passing it fine. (Finn passed it within 10minutes of being out LOL)

and others like our sweet little man have a bit more trouble and need some assistance, if you see them straining for a while it is best to just pop a little enema up their bum.

Makes them more comfy
default_smile.png
hope that helps.

he has just got back up and had another small drink was hoping it might be bigger but thats ok he will get there... he is now trying to poop...

Did he manage it Kara? I see you out there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so. After the first enema his poop was hard brown nuggets like. This time Hubby said it was yellowish and slimy like. When I was out there, I did notice he does a weird posture and does a half squat to pee. He has done this at least 3 times through the day while checking on him. So, I am wondering if when it looks like he is trying to poo, he is actually peeing. I will keep him up for another day or two, I will keep an eye on Snowball, hopefully she will wait a bit to foal closer to her due date. Yes, Cassie if you see something that is major or emergancy, you can text me. I dont want anything bad to happen.And since you all are so wonderful, here is a dry pic of him.
default_wub.png
No name yet........2012 Stormy baby.jpg

wow he is lovely and so big!! no wonder Stormy was huge LOL he is sleeping standing up and keeps wobbling back and forth hee hee so cute!!! oh that was a big one, almost fell over LOL funny little kid!!!!

It has been a busy day for both of them so they are down sleeping at 2.50am

Aww thanks. He was 22.5 inches tall. He has been such a joy to watch. I may leave him on cam one more day. Depends on how snowball is looking. I will try to get pics of her tonight.

Thank you Diane! That is funny him using momma as a jungle gym. I think we are going to let him and momma out with the rest of the herd, just in the dry lot for an hour or so while we watch them, and see how they are doing. Momma is just itching to get out and stretch a little!

Ok, so that didnt go well.
default_frusty.gif
The rest of the herd made Stormy VERY stressed. Which is normal, but we have a mare who lost her foal last fall, and is trying to steal this new little man. So, looks like they are going to get time outside in an adjoining pasture for limited times the next couple days.

Sorry Kara I have only just read your previous thread. I would have adviced to give Stormy at least a week to bond with baby before she has to defend him. She will still be sore from the birth so she needs some quiet time and baby won't have bonded enough to recognise her yet and might wonder over to one of the others which would cause a fight. Also it would be good if Stormy could graze on some grass as it will help her system get back to normal.

Anyway I am glad no one got hurt.

I wasnt sure how long I should stall them. When we were out there, and this was going on, we were in the pasture. We ended up- my hubby picked up baby, and carried him with Stormy following, she was so glad, like she knew we were helping her. I have another pasture we were trying to keep all horses off, because we seeded it in Feb, but it is growing good, and if they need a separate place for awhile, then it will do. I has an adjoining fence to the rest of the herd. Once snowball foals, then i can keep both momma & baby sets out there. I had to fight hubby to NOT let them out yesterday! He wanted to let him out so bad, i told him momma and baby need to bond.

As for Snowball, I have a side view of her belly. Her udder doesnt have much in it, a couple days ago it felt like it was filling more, but today nothing. So, i will keep a better eye on it. After all she is a maiden! She is due May 8th.

04052012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I let them out for an hour or so, and getting ready to go back in. I put them out in their own pasture, but shares a fence with the rest of the mares (and 1 gelding.) He has been right by her side, every once and awhile we get to see him frolic and jump around momma! It is so cute! Once Snowball foals, i will be able to put them together for awhile. The mare that is the baby stealer, I feel so badly for. When she lost her foal back in August, she mourned so long, and very badly. She has been in a herd many times with a baby on her side, and no signs stealing. I just think she really wants t be a momma. Hopefully, she will settle for being an awesome aunt! I feel we need to breed her back this year, so she can have that loving bond again, she so desperately wants.

But, here is a pic of our little man
default_wub.png
baby 2012.jpg

any name ideas would be great, but they have to pass by hubby, and daughter! LOL

momma is Rauch's Ridin the Storm

sire is NHFS Wendells Wild Dude (I dont really like any of this name)

grandsire momma side- Lil hoofBeats Charming Alibi (VERY handsome black & white pinto)

grandsire daddys side- Sweetwaters Silver Melody

I am thinking get Stormy's name in there somehow, and Sweetwaters silver Melody in there some how, but not sound girly. We like the name Smokey (since he's smokey black) But?????????????????????????????

Oh Kara, dont ask me about names, I'm totally useless!!

I dont follow quite the same pattern as Diane, in that I do let my mares and foals out for an hour or two the day after they foal, but always have them on their own in their own separate paddock - and grass is the very best thing for a newly foaled mare's system (nice and gentle to get it going again) plus good for the milk production.

So glad that you managed to get Stormy and baby safely away from your other minis. I would keep them all apart until Snowball foals - sharing a fence line is good though as the others will get to know the babies without anyone getting hurt, and then when eventually you do put them all back together, no 'introductions' will be needed.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back