Showing a Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erinspaintedacres

Reaction score
I am showing my stud this coming weekend, but haven't shown a stud before. I have owned horses and plenty of studs, just never shown them. I just starting showing this year for the first tiem (both large and small horses)

I was wondering if vaseline in their nostrils actually works. I have heard this from a friend but never knew if it worked or not :roll: Let me know what you use for your studs in the show ring. I am going in showmanship, trail, inhand jumpng, and driving. it is just a small local show.

Also, do you ever band your miniatures manes for showing? Here is a pic of my stud. Should I leave it long, or band it. I am doing a running braid for driving, but it doesn't look right for other things, just under harness.

Shadowside-1.jpg

Thanks,

Erin

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]It is Vick's Vapo-rub for their noses. I have heard it works. Also a lot of ground training works. Work him where he can see other horses and get him to learn to pay attention to you when ever he has the halter on. I take it one step further and have them pay attention to me when ever I am in the pen or stall too. As far as the mane, give him a bridle path and thin his mane down from underneath. Leave the length.

Last edited:
Vicks Vapor Rub in the nose, yes it works from what I"ve been told ;) Also seemed to work with my guy.

No, you don't band manes, you leave them long. I can't see your horse b/c most picture sites are blocked at work
default_sad.png
Most people also leave the manes down i driving classes.

Have fun! And good luck!

Jessi

I havnt shown my stallion yet (this weekend woohoo) but my gelding thinks hes a studley....not a dudley and it works for him :eek: . He still gets excited at every show and prances and the odd whiney but nothing to studish.

You haven't described much about your stallion; stallions are highly individual animals. I personally feel putting Vicks in the nose is a tad on the not-so-nice side, I wouldn't want Vicks in MY nose, after all. On SOME stallions (let's say you bred your stallion the day before and he just can't handle the smell of mares in heat at the show) I suppose you could, but this is more of a big-stallion trick. Honestly if you can't handle a tiny mini stud at a show you've got problems! I've shown stallions and never had to use Vicks. They've all listened, but manners do start at home. If my stallions aren't well mannered at home, they sure don't go to a show!

If your stallion is polite and quiet, take him to the show, but don't throw the Vicks on there "just because."

Are you going to an open show or a rated show? That information will help us give you some tips on grooming and such.

Andrea

If they are following the show rules for AMHR or AMHA, do not braid as it is not allowed except for hunter and jumper classes, not even the forelock.

When we were showing our stallion a lot, he was always a good boy, but liked to show off his "assets" all the time in the show ring! We tried the Vicks once on someone's recommendation, but it meant that our laid back boy also couldn't smell the treats and therefore didn't show like he should've either!!

As far as his mane, I'd give him quite a bit more bridle path and put a hood on him overnight before the show.

He looks like he's in good shape Erin!

See you Friday!

ok, i guess I wasn't clear. I will go into some detail now
default_smile.png

This is just a fun mini show and isn't very competitive. It is more or less just to have fun with your horses. It is a place where alot of people get into showing minis and don't have to feel pressured and can try lots of different things. It is my first mini show
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: . I have owned minis for 3 yrs now, but haven't done anything with them until last year when I started to drive this guy. This year I started jumping him and he's got talent, that is why I have decided to show him.

If I don't braid his mane with the harness, it gets all tangled and messy and doesn't look very nice. This pic was about a month ago and I thinned it a little bit after that. I only do my bridle paths to where the ear pulls back too, but I guess I will go a bit further with him since his ears are so tiny.

Shadow (the stud) is a very nicely behaved boy at home, and is at other places too. I drove him last year in a parade with lots of other horses and he was amazing. He focusses on me when I have him in the halter and when I have him under harness. Since I am new to showing horses, I thought i would ask a little bit more information. Shadow is very receptive to mares in heat, but usually doesn't mind unless they squat and pee. I think maybe you guys thought he was a handful and thats why I was asking.

Shadow is the type of horse that could steal your heart away with his dispostion. I have had friends come out here who can't belive he is a stud.

Hope thats clarifies it :bgrin Thanks Kendra!! We will see you in a few days. Looking forward to meeting you!

Honestly if you can't handle a tiny mini stud at a show you've got problems! I've shown stallions and never had to use Vicks. They've all listened, but manners do start at home. If my stallions aren't well mannered at home, they sure don't go to a show!

Andrea
Andrea,

I agree with you on using the vicks only as a last resort and not just because. (we sometimes use it when we have horses on transport)

Also I agree that a stallion should be well trained and well behaved and that you should train that at home.

But you have to try showing them once. They might be well behaved at home, but go crazy at a show. There is now way you can train under the same conditions that you find on a show: the stress, so many other horses. If you can...you are a very lucky person. I think most of us can come close by exposing them to noises, as many other horses as possible but there is no better final training than actually attending a show you can afford to lose because your stallion might not listen to you.

The thing that made me wonder though is your remark: if you can't handle a tiny mini stud.

No matter how tiny your mini stud is...they have so much power in that little body.

Please don't sugest that because it is a small horse that anyone should be able to control it at all times.

When a tiny miniature stallion goes crazy they have so much power, that sometimes even a grown person has a hard time controlling them.

Hope you don't mind me sharing my personal opinion.

Trisha

Rocky is a fun show where a lot of people go to show that don't show up at the sanctioned shows where there is a lot more compatition and crap so enjoy yourself. Your guy doesn't strike me as a hot firey type so l don't think you need to worry about vicks or anything and most people are considerate about a stallion being close by and give you space if you ask except for the little kids and there geldings which you need to watch for. We took out a hot to trot guy this summer and were a bit worried about how he would act in public the first time but he was more interested in what was going on and all the new things and horses he never made the attempt to act out except a few rear ups an opps l fell down don't look and showing off his weanie. Vicks didn't do a darn thing for him and we're sorry we used it cause it smelled up the ring even 10 minutes after using it and he would have showed a lot more life and how alert he usually is without it. His second show was fine even when brushing past another horse on the way back to the stalls. They just seem to pick up on what is and what isn't allowed if consistant at home about it. Enjoy the weekend you never know till you try what a horse does and Rocky is a good start. Our orphand fossil who was hand raised at her first show as a yearling was attacked bit and had her halter pulled of by another mare while waiting to go in a class so it's not always those stallions who you need to worry about...and watch out for people on the other end sometimes l swear you need to watch them more then the horse. :bgrin l'd also put on a slinky when he's wet to help flatten down the mane for driving. We do braid the forlock no matter what driving class and for jumping. Have fun lots of nice helpful girls in your age bracket will be showing.

Thanks Relic!!!

I have just recently got into showing this year (used to do 4H, but got too old
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) I am really interested in driving the minis as much as riding. It is a new adventure. :lol:

When I was training this little guy to cart, he was a little bit of a dummy. :lol: He needed to be drove lots to remember it,(as all horses usually are, but he was worse) but as soon as he caught on, he realized it was fun!! This is how I got jumping him. He loves doing it and he deserves to be giving the chance to prove himself in the show ring. I have no other options to show him, so I think this would be a great experience for him to start and maybe next year, I could take him to some local horse shows (full sized)

THankyou for all the help guys, I appreciate it!! I don't have a slinky and hopefully I could find one beofre Friday. I know not many around here have small sizes but I will look!! :bgrin

Erin - chances are you'll be able to buy a slinky at the show, wouldn't help for Friday, but you could put it on overnight.

I agree with most on the Vicks, I do use it but not on every stallion. As far as it being mean, it is not mean, it does not burn, as a matter of fact I use it every night on myself. It is a habitual thing for me, I cant sleep without it.

I always try a horse without it, most of my stallions start young and have manners and are used to the whole show thing by the time the hormones really kick in but there are some that just need a little help with attention in a show situation. Remember at home in familiar surroundings, where they already have a pecking order established it is quite different than having a bunch of new stallions that have never seen each other. Most of them feel the need to let themselves be known in one way or another.

Also in the classes you are participating in you will have mares as well to deal with, just make sure his attention in on you at all times.

Most of all, HAVE FUN!

As far as his mane, you can even take a towel and wrap it around his neck when his mane is damp, or dampen a towel and wrap it a bit before your class. It is rather thick and thinning it would help but if you like the full look then try the towel thing until you can get a slinky to put on him.

As for as "handling" him if you know your stallion and handle him regularly I can't imaging that he'll be uncontrolable in the ring. It may happen, but probably not. My personal experience has been that even though I have total control over my stallion from a handling perspective, I can't control all him hormones and sometimes even though he's listening to me and standing like a good boy, he'll still "drop". So I usually put a dab of an ointment called mineral ice on his...well...you know.
default_wacko.png
: So what happens is when he starts to drop - even in really hot weather - when air hits that mineral ice he'll shrink right back up! Works great!

I'm not aware of any reason this is a bad idea, but maybe if someone else knows why this shouldn't be used, they'll post about it.

Have fun at your show!

:saludando: Hi.. my mom, brother and I will be at Rocky. We love this show. I really have no clue what i'm doing still...but Rocky is the best place to learn. I'm sure someone will have a slinkie for you to purchase. Make sure to come introduce yourself...we're the Campbells.

See you Friday!
Glad you're coming again Kendra. I remember last year my mom was like who in the heck was cheering for you Dali and it was you..it gave us a good laugh.

:saludando: Hi.. my mom, brother and I will be at Rocky. We love this show. I really have no clue what i'm doing still...but Rocky is the best place to learn. I'm sure someone will have a slinkie for you to purchase. Make sure to come introduce yourself...we're the Campbells.

We will see you there!! I am glad we have a "support" group :bgrin

I bet we will be the only ones who have a tent in the back of our truck. lol. Look for that, and I will be there

See you guys Friday :saludando: I am really excited about this
default_yes.gif
:

I did my clipping yesterday..... does it look better? This is a pic from this morning. He isn't groomed at all, just taken in his pen

Shadowshave.jpg

Oh my gosh I think I may be falling in love with your horse.
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: (don't tell my horses I said that, they will get jealous)

Latest posts

Back