Sadie the yo-yo's Daughter: Chloe owned by Viola **Update**

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New pics are a must
default_smile.png

Sadie has a lot of edema that just showed up this morning and is a lot worse tonight. I'm worried about it. It's in front of her udder to about 3 inches past her belly button... If I push on it, it pits. Her udder is really warm, but other than that, absolutely no changes. She hasn't even been acting like she is anywhere near foaling. I think I'm going to talk to a vet about it on Monday. She hasn't even had a bout of what I thought was false labor since day before yesterday and that was also the last I felt the baby move. I'm hoping it's because baby is ready to come. How long can mare be flat sided before foaling, anyone know?
default_no.gif

I am sure she is fine and as Diane said the foal can change positions which will alture her mood. Can you take some new pics please

Sadie's udder has been going back and forth between normal heat and whoa, that's warm! It's been hard at night and softer in the am. She got so mean today that my hubby locked her in while I was gone. He just wanted to feed her. He rarely puts her away for me. I don't know what was up, but she's never tried to kick him. She is even softer in the hind quarters. Now, both hips jiggle at the same time. The edema hasn't gotten worse. I'm going to try to get brave and take some pictures of her in a little bit. Now that she looks skinnier everywhere else, I notice she has fat rolls on her shoulders.
default_risa_suelos.gif

DSCN5528_zps74b49072.jpg
DSCN5527_zpsa79f5a6e.jpg
DSCN5524_zpsc832591e.jpg
DSCN5516_zpsd094a740.jpg
DSCN5508_zps64f18a3f.jpg
DSCN5506_zpsb0dca157.jpg

On the last one, the second bump on bottom is actually the start of her edema that goes all the way up to her udder. The two of her top and from the rear, she isn't squared up...

DSCN5510_zpsc8df6050.jpg

Here's the one from the top. Like I said, she's not squared up. Her head was to the left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her vulva is looser today but I can't get near her teats without being threatened by her teeth. She enjoys affection still, but only if I stay away from her sides and stomach. She's so miserable that she's taking it out on us. I fell asleep in the recliner today, so it was nice to have a little more sleep. I dreamed that she popped out a little bay colt with ease. I'm still rooting for my silver buckskin filly with a blaze and two white socks.

I think we're all getting pretty worn out waiting on babies to be born.
default_thud.gif

Yes, the waiting is the hard part -- but so necessary to be attentive to the ladies and these precious little ones they're carrying!

My ever faithful Sadie ran off to the neighbors' today after I was bragging on another topic how she NEVER leaves the yard.
default_footinmouth.gif
She also tried to bite the dog.

This must be what is meant by the "V"? I must admit, only experience can teach one what to look for sometimes! I've been reading her all wrong! Not only that but her relaxed vulva has elongated (another thing experience teaches- the difference between relaxing and elongating...). It's about an inch longer and seems swollen to me. My mom tried to tell me that Sadie was having a false pregnancy, because she didn't even look pregnant to her. She made me get out the stethoscope and listen for baby's heartbeat! I have no idea what I was trying to hear, but I did see baby kick directly at the belly button. That made my mom back off.
default_biggrin.png

Sadie's down flat right now and grunting. Her milk was sweet and sticky this morning, but there was no white in it. I'm not counting on anything becoming of her grunting, but I sure am wishful!
default_deadhorse2.gif
default_gaah.gif

DSCN5576_zps1b9a7323.jpg
DSCN5579_zps2e32ab62.jpg
DSCN5577_zpse5783df7.jpg
DSCN5581_zps967c77a7.jpg

She's 'shaping' up perfectly! I would like to see that tummy shift just a bit further forward, but that could happen quickly particularly with her long hooha and the sticky milk!
default_yes.gif

Any day now and she will have that little one for you - keep your eyes peeled!!

And by the way, she is in a lovely condition and a real credit to you.
default_firstprize.gif

She's 'shaping' up perfectly! I would like to see that tummy shift just a bit further forward, but that could happen quickly particularly with her long hooha and the sticky milk!
default_yes.gif

Any day now and she will have that little one for you - keep your eyes peeled!!

And by the way, she is in a lovely condition and a real credit to you.
default_firstprize.gif
Thank you! So, the V itself will move forward?

At the moment it looks about central - it should move forward so that it appears to be closer to her front legs, but as I said this CAN happen quickly. Also rolling will help get the baby 'down' into the presentation position, which is when you will see the 'true' V.

Hope this helps!

She's been sitting pretty forward for a while now with the occasional centered up look, but this is the first time her rounded shape has taken on such an abrupt angle.

Here's from Day 312 and then today, Day 320:

DSCN5408_zpsd2d2c73c.jpg
DSCN5576_zps1b9a7323.jpg

Do you have a picture of what the true V looks like so I know what to look for?
default_please.gif
That'd be great!
default_thumbup.gif
I wish Crayon Box Miniatures showed more images of the sides... I could use the examples! Thank you!

Summer, the second one was a few HOURS before she foaled? But it's further back than the top one! Thank you for sharing!

LOL!! I know! Good thing I watched for other signs! Here is another one. I took it at 8:30 am and she foaled at 11:20.

Summerforviola2.jpg

Here is a post that Anna wrote to me. It just really hit home with me and I love it, so I wanted to share it with you! You may have read it already though...

Mindy, I know we keep saying "she's nearly there", but it really is difficult with these girls most of the time and it is better to warn folk that their mare 'might' be about to produce, than to have them miss the birth! That said, your pretty little lady IS fast moving in the right direction, in fact she may well foal tonight as things can change very quickly, but if not then I would guess that another day or two and you will see that long awaited baby!
default_yes.gif

Of course I say this by looking at your pics and listening to what you say - not quite the same as being there and getting a hands on inspection/observation. I would now just be keeping an eye on her vulva colour and also on her teats - she has a 'classic' udder there so it is perfectly possible that she will do the final 'teat fill with milk' a few hours before she foals.

Not long now and you will be able to SLEEEEEEEEP again - that's if you can keep your eye off the beautiful baby she's been cooking for you!

Yes Mindy that is right, we say "classic" V or "classic" udder but not all mares get all the signs. The smaller mares don't always get the V due to their size. My girls were all under 30" and non of them got the V but their bump did move forward before foaling. Not all girls vulva's elongate, some just get very swollen. Not all girls grow steadily an udder 4-6 weeks before foaling. This is why we ask sooooooo many questions and lots of pics to help us get the whole picture of what your girls are doing. As Anna said we can only go by what you tell and show but that isn't like us being able to go out and see the mares.

Viola Diane has some excellent V pics that I am sure she will post for you when she comes on. I am at the moment trying to make a thread with lots of pics for you to see but it is taking a while as most of my pics are on my old computer that is nearly dead
default_thud.gif
I am waiting for the pc Dr to come and visit us
default_smile.png

Sadie looks great and I really don't think you will have long to wait judging by those pics
default_thumbup.gif

Latest posts

Back