UPDATE 5,,,LADY IS HOME!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so glad she is home. even after they are supposed to be better you still worry about them. I know I did when one of my mares coliced. I would watch out the door when I was at the computer. In building a shelter extention this year I won't put a south wall on it because I can not see my horses then. Everyone says I am crazy.

Wow, just read this whole post.. scarey. We have a dairy farm and we always have to watch our girls for calcium deficiency. Didn't know that horses could get it until this post. In cows they can practically drop like a rock and you don't have much time before they go too far. Very common in color breeds like Jerseys and Brown Swiss. When our cows get to the point of thumping or turning the head to the side we cannot give the oral paste but must go IV. If you do go IV it must be VERY slow infusion and you have to watch and back off if their heart rate goes way up or they look stressed. We started giving precautionary Calcium paste before and after delivery of the calves and on our more high risk animals as preventative. Didn't hurt, but reduced our calcium deficient cows tremendously. Best wishes, calcium defiency is scarey to watch.
default_new_shocked.gif
PS, I never heard of blister beatles, will have to read up on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not posted before, but have been keeping up with this thread, and want to say how happy I am for you guys and your dear mare that things are on the upswing! May everything continue to improve; my warmest thoughts and good wishes are with you all!

I had not really known of this condition; this has been yet another 'eduational for the horse owner' experience, and I thank you, Theresa, and all who've had helpful input on this thread. I no longer breed, but information like this is ALWAYS helpful to know! And I agree, this information should be 'saved' for future access and reference!

My best wishes,

Margo

Thank goodness she made it thru this and came home!!!!! WHOO HOO-good for you LADY BUG!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Continuing to pray she stays well!
default_yes.gif
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
:pray

This is a follow-up to my post on keeping Calcium Phosphate in your horse supplies.

When I first bought it, and kept it on hand, it was manufactured by Horse Health, came in a 4 lb. tub in powdered form. I would dilute in water and use a syringe, orally.

I don't know if it is available from them now.

However, the gel sounds like an improvement. It can be bought from Jeffers in the dairy section, Also from Jeffers Pet, there is a powdered form in a quantity that could be used to keep around for an emergency supply and inexpensive as well.

Theresa - I am just so glad your little one made it through...I applaud all of your efforts to save her...give her a big hug for me, please.

Liz R.

What wonderful news.
default_aktion033.gif
I have learned so much with thsi thread. Being new to miniatures I had never heard of what Lady Bug was dealing with before. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers for a continued recovery.
default_smile.png

Lady is getting better! Her thumping in her flanks, you can not see with the eye, but you can feel it with your hand. She ate all her diner last night and was munching on breakfast this am. I do beleive that she will be okay. Pooing and peeing everywhere! That's my Girl! She HATES the Calcium Gel. I am getting her some yoguart (vanilla) to mix it up with...This is Lady....for thoses of you who have not met her yet..

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9730.jpg

Lady is getting better! Her thumping in her flanks, you can not see with the eye, but you can feel it with your hand. She ate all her diner last night and was munching on breakfast this am. I do beleive that she will be okay. Pooing and peeing everywhere! That's my Girl! She HATES the Calcium Gel. I am getting her some yoguart (vanilla) to mix it up with...This is Lady....for thoses of you who have not met her yet..
IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9730.jpg

Thank you so much for allowing us to share your journey. Being new to minis I had just read about this problem and now through your experience will be prepared. Lady is beautiful and she has wonderful 'parents' who went all out to save her.

I do have a question though. How much of a dose of calcium should you give a mini if you suspect the calcium deficiency? Is it a "you can't give them enough to harm them" dosage if you see them displaying signs of this?

Theresa and Art, you guys meet every challenge with every ounce of your being.

Lady is one lucky girl to have had you in her corner fighting for what you knew

was right.

What a great group of people this is for instantly responding to her plea for

help. Without it, Lady might not be happily munching away.

The best group of family Art and I know! Truely. if we had not gotten immediate responses we would have lost Lady......Lady gets 3cc of the gel everynight, with Probios 1/2 hour before...

What a lovely girl she is!!!! I think she will keep improving! Yes, if I was a horse, I would want to be owned by you guys!!

Thank you all. I had never heard of this before and you bet I am now so much more informed about calcium deficiency.

Thanks for sharing your story. We all learned from it.

Latest posts

Back