UPDATE 5,,,LADY IS HOME!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
When Art went out to feed at 545 this am, she had not eaten any feed or hay from last nights feeding. He came back and got me to come look at her. She is standing with her back legs sprawled out, like she is trying to urinate, with her tail raised. Her back legs are stiff but she can move around some. When she does move it is like OUCHY, like she has be trimmed (quicked), but she has not been trimmed. I checked, no heat in her hoofs. And it looks like she has severe constant hic ups in her flank area. She did not poo last night. At 10am she did drop about 6 normals size/look muffins to the ground. Her gums are pink. No sweating, some pawing with her front leg. She is standing, must have been most of the night, her stall in not messed up. Does not have any of the "classic" colic signs. I gave her 1cc liquid Banamine at 730am, vet said to give her 2cc, that was at 10am. It "appears" that she is having trouble urinating. At first I thought Stifle, now I am not so sure. Vet asked if she was in foal trying to abort, no she is not breed, at least not by my doing. And it would be really hard for her to get breed by one of my studs, as the studs only go out at night when the mares are in their barn. And she has a smell coming from her mouth, not soured, more like a nasty garbage can smell...Anyone with any ideas that I can throw at the vet when he gets here? Which may be late this afternoon...
default_no.gif
To add...She has very little gut sound, but it is hard for me to get my ear tight on her belly,,lots of hair coming in.

Update 1

I have been in the barn with her since I posted this. She is not any better, the Banamine seems to be doing nothing at all for her. She does not seem to be in any pain. She is still trying to urinate, only a few drops at a time. I had thought about EPM...Lord hear my prayers if it is. No matter what is aling her, I need a vet asap. I have another call out to another vet. He is not as familuar with my horses, but at this point I need someone to examine her. I will keep you posted.....

Update 2...

The 1st vet finally called, Said it could be either of the aforementioned, to bring her in ASAP, what he needs to do he can not do here. So we are off to the vets... Prayers for Lady Please!!!!
default_wub.png

Update 3...

Lady is in critical condition..I am crying so bear with me. Her temp is 100.9... I rode in the trailer with her to the vet(25 min drive) in case she went down, which she did. I got on the 2-way and told ARt to put on his flashers and floor it. By the time we got there she was foaming at the mouth. The vet met us at the trailer and his fisrt thought was she ate something toxic. It took a few trys but he finally got the IV in and gave her something to relax her.Her blood is black and she is not moving enough air in her lungs. He said that he would try to stabilize her enough to get her to Oakridge, where we took Dreamer, the call was made and they were waiting for us to get there. I asked him to check her Calcium levels, and asked him AGAIN about the calcium deficiency, he said he had heard of it but never seen it in horses and did not think that was the issue.
default_frusty.gif
After a few more heated debates, I flat out said, "DO BLOOD WORK ON HER AND DO IT NOW"!!!!!!! IF MONEY IS AN ISSUE, HERE IS MY D@$M DEBIT CARD!!!! He looked at me and said money is not the issue, I don't want to charge you for things that are not nessasary. It is my money do it! He did, the tech came out 30 mins later and said her calcium levels were critical. He looked at me, and before he could say anything I asked him to give her the calcium that she needed, it did not matter who was right or wrong. He smiled and went and got what she needed. He said it was better for her to stay if she crashed again we may not get her back in time. And that she would need several doses of calcium and more IV's to flush her kidneys. He said that we could still lose her. It is very difficult to get a horse stablized at levels that low. It took us awile to get her to her stall at the vets, her back legs are completely splayed out and stiff and she is stumbing and dragging her back toes. It is amazing how quickly she fell apart....I told the vet that I did not want to leave her, and I was afraid that we would lose her and we would not be there for her.
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
He saiad that he would call us if he thought we should let her go so we could be there with her when she crosses, but he wanted to give her a chance. He is not optimistic, but said if she makes it through the night she has a better chance to make it...Prayers for our Ladybug
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
Theresa

Update 4...

She made it through the night, Thank you God! She still is not out of the woods, apparently they can relapse very quickly, so this is going to be a 3-4 week recovery for her. She is exhausted, but she is MUCH BETTER!!! The thumping in her flanks is gone, her gums are getting back to pink, but her calcium level is still down, not critical but down. As soon as she saw us she whinnied, a GOOD STRONG WHINNEY!!!!! She still has trouble with her back legs, not as bad as yesterday. She is alert, not confused like she was yesterday. I would say her improvement from yesterday is 80%!! It was not Blister Beatles....It is her calcium/Phos levels. We are going to pick her up tonight if she continues to improve. I took some animal crackers with me this am, and she "Snatched" them out of my hand. She is Hungry!!!! Vet got her some hay, and she was chompin away looking for more. By the time I left she had several GOOD urinating and Poo's. It looks like she is going to be just fine. She will be on a paste of ??? for awhile. And we will take her back for another Blood panel to be done, (at my request). Never got an answer as to why she crashed so quickly, but you can bet your bottom dollar I will have Cal/Pho on hand from now on!!!! You learn something new everyday. If she does get to come home this pm, I will keep her in her stall untill she is strong and sure enough to be out. Way too much mud. Thank you to all who prayed for my girl....I told her this am that there were forum angels all around her last nite to keep her safe, funny thing is she looked at me and Art and nodded her head yes!
default_wub.png
HUM>>>>>>>>>>>Can a horse get to much calcium??? Thank you my friends, And to whoever lost their horses at Worlds to Blister Beatles, I am so very sorry. Praying for a complete recovery for the others.
default_no.gif

Update 5, and hopefully the last one...

We got Lady home an hour ago..When she saw Art pull up with the trailer we had to restrain her, she KNEW she was going HOME! She still is not very steady on her feet. She still has "alittle" thumping in her flanks. She will be stall kept for a few days, or until she can "show" me that she is able to be with her herd. And she has a long road of recovery ahead of her. The next 2 weeks will be crucial. We have to really watch her. She will take the gel for 2 weeks, And then a few days after to make sure her levels are good. We will take her back Friday for more blood work. The vet said he had heard of this in horses, but did not really believe it. He said now he is a believer! Said it will kill cattle in hours. WHen he gave me the gel I said this is for cattle, he guarr. me that it was safe for horses also. I asked if we could overdose her on calcium, he said no. He said there are NO WARNING SIGNS, But to keep this stuff on hand for the future if we should need it. If I can't but it, he will order it for me. It costs $15.00 a tube and he gave it to me, for being a GOOD, PAYING CUSTOMER! He also reduced my bill because we never owe him, we always pay him in full at the time of service. He did not tell me what the bill was, but he only charged us $185.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so happy he thought I was going to have an anxiety attack! I told him I was just so releived that Lady made it through the night and the "APOLOGY" he gave me for not listening to me and other things. He said that he should listen to the animals owners more often, after all we do know our animals better than he does. Apology accepted, no need but accepted. We want to thank everyone for their continued prayers for our farm and us. We have NEVER met a group of people like you guys, we are humble to know you. I hope that Mary Lou will put this on the best of for everyones education and refference. The suggestions you guys gave us, saved her life. And I went with my gut feelings, took stock in the overwhelming response that it was a calcium deffeciency and made the vet do blood work. If you guys had not responded to my post with such determination, Lady would have died...Thank You all! I will let you know how she does...Theresa and Art

Here is what he gave us...The tube is the size of a tube a caulk...and we will give her Probios half hr before we give her the calcium

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This could so easily be one of a number of things there is little point guessing, unless your Vet is stumped and needs help!!

I think your best bet is to give no medication without running it by your Vet and to keep her quiet, put a blanket on to keep her back warm in case she is "tying up" and just wait.

Sorry, but as you have the Vet coming, I really do think that is your best course of action.

I shall be thinking of you!

Art mentioned maybe she was tying up, But why would she?? Educate me here Rabbit! I thought a horse tied up after competeing and "working"????? She has had NOTHING change in her everyday life/routine...

Theresa, Call your vet to come check her blood calcium levels. I had a mare who did the same kind of thing last year. Stopped eating, had the hiccups thing going on. It was a condition called hypocalcemia. All my vet did was give her a calcium IV and then I had CMPK gel that I had to give her 2x a day for about a month.

I think my mare developed it as a result of changing to a different hay. With different nutrient contents. All my horses now have free choice salt and mineral blocks.

PM me if you have questions. I will give you details.

Sounds like it could be epm.

I had a Morgan black gelding who showed the same symptoms as your mare and he could not urinate either. I would have to go in and remove fecal matter in order for him to be able to pee. This went on for a while. I had different Vets checked him, etc. Finially I brought him to a vet friend in Wisconsin who kept him for a while to see if there was anything that could be done. Unfortunatly for him, there was nothing and he had to be put down.

I would have you vet check for epm.

Does sound like thumps or hypocalcemia but you normally see it in pregnant mares or mares with a foal nursing. Or it could be laminitis. If its thumps fast treatment is imperative so I would get a vet out asap

Sending prayers for your mare

hope your vet gets there soon. I had a mare that went hypocalcemic, it does sound like that. If so, she needs IV calcium ASAP.

Good luck, Theresa. (((((HUGS)))))

You need a vet out there asap. It is not EPM period. It could be calcium I have a mare that had the thumps and put her on a supplement. Treatment is need asap.

However,I am thinking that the fact that this horses has only had 6 muffin sized poos since 10pm last night your mare is either tyed up or compacted. You can try giving her an enema, it wont hurt anything. I would keep her on the banamine. I have also dosed mine with 1 tablspoon of epsom salts and vegetable oil with warm water. It's and old timers trick for horses that can't pass there poo. It really does work.

Bottum line this sounds serious and you need a vet any vet asap.

Good Luck

I don't have any ideas for you other than what others have said, just sending prayers that she will be ok, and that the vet hurries and gets out there. Poor girl.

Her being Hypocalcemic is what I thought of too. She needs calcium ASAP. I would give a bunch of enemas while you're waiting for the vet. It couldn't hurt, and will probably help ease her.

I'm so sorry this is going on Theresa!
default_sad.png

I lost a mare several weeks ago that sounds just like this. My vet is still stumped. She thought Hypocalcemic and did IV calcium, which seemed to help for a while but she died several hours later. What is "thumps"?

Thumps is just another name for hypocalcemia. It is when the calcium levels in the blood are out of balance with the phosphorus levels. It can be caused when a mare is heavily pregnant or nursing and the foal is pulling the mares calcium levels down too much. Or it can also be caused by exercise, stress or colic that causes their electrolytes to be off balance.

It looks just like the horse has hiccups. The belly has a rythmic twitching to it. It is easily fixed if caught early. And treated aggressively. My mare that developed it last year went on to foal a beautiful filly about 2 months later and hasn't had a problem since. I just know to keep an eye out for the symptoms now. Especially on my mares with new foals or heavily pregnant.

http://www.maxperfeq.com/calcium.htm

I had a mare years ago who acted like this and she was impacted........ couldnt poop but because she hurt, didnt drink and would not pee either. Would sometimes stretch funny.... I hope she will be OK!!

Prayers for Lady, hoping to hear good news!

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Thank God you told him about the calcium level thing. Jeeze, we really have to get all the knowledge we can, don't we! I'll pray like crazy for her.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Oh no....

I have no idea just going to throw a few things out there to ponder to help you do a process of elimination:

Its odd that this came on so fast over night so my first inclination was spinal cord injury or a twist to the gut like if she got cast last night.

Feeding alfalfa by any chance? Blister beetle poisoning?

I also had a filly once presented as crippled in the hindquarters, urinating was out of the question, then started gushing at the mouth and nostrils.....she had choke

And I wouldn't rule out colic.

I always say that when in doubt, start up the activated charcoal asap because it doesn't hurt and would take care of any poisioning.

Good luck T. Hope she gets well really fast.

All I can do is offer a Cyber Hug and hope the Vet is going to be able to pull her through. My thoughts are with you.

Theresa, have they ruled out Blister Beetles? Another local OK breeder lost 2(?) during World and had more very sick.

Latest posts

Back