UPDATE 5,,,LADY IS HOME!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
:pray {{{{HUGS}}}} for you all too!

I am so sorry to hear about the issues your mare is having. Sending, yet another, prayer your way.

This is a total shot in the dark.....

If this can possibly be triggered by toxins in the system(endotoxin induced changes and disturbances in the small intestines are two causes for this), or in combination with organ failure, could it be from onion grass, red maple leaves, cherry leaves, walnut leaves .....anything that may be shedding its foilage and blowing into the turnout, or even as Minimor had listed in a previous post, creosote in posts? All of these things can cause liver failure/damage, and throw all of the bodies functions and blood levels into a spiral.

I know at this point, no matter what the cause, you just want her to get better, and I pray she does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many years ago we had a quarter mare that went down with what appeared to be colic. Called the vet, he came out, said it was worms. (He had just tubed her the week before.) I yelled at him about this, told him couldn't he remember tubing her, and he said she probably had so many worms they clogged her up. Stupid vet! The mare had a nine or ten day old foal on her side. He would treat the mare, and she would get better, then start all over again. This went on for three days. Finally, the mare was down, and so sick, her foal was stealing from her when he could reach her bag. The vet told my husband that he was going to give her a shot that would kill her or cure her. Said this was only used for cattle. My husband asked him what it was and he said "Calcium". We told him to go ahead as she was down and couldn't get up. He gave her the shot, and she started improving almost immediately. After a few days, she was recovered, (more visits from the vet), and went on to raise that little foal we thought was going to be an orphan. This vet was a friend of my husband's, and they had gone through grade and high school together. He was a small animal vet that wanted to get more into large animals. Needless to say, he did not ever treat any more of our large animals. He did come through in the end, but my gosh the suffering he let that mare, and us go through, before he tried the "cow shot." He never did any blood work either.

Here's hoping your mare will recover as quickly and as well as she.

Same thing happen to our stallion last year around this time, it was liver failure and it also happend SO FAST it was scary...I am praying for your little girl!
default_pray.gif

Theresa, I am so glad you got your mare the calcium and hopefully on time. It is a shame when a vet is not fully educated on these minis, they definitely have their own unique problems, don't they? Or things that are rare in big horses are far more common in our minis.

If you are googling for further information, the veterinary term for thumps is "synchronous diaphragmatic flutter." That means that her muscles are "in synch" with her heart beat when they spasm.

My heart is with you. I spent a lot of money and time getting my mare well. She had a bad dystocia, and her foal died at 4 days old while still in the ICU. I brought Ally home but she was not well and I took her back. I was sitting with her in the vet stall when she started the thumps. They got calcium into her right away. We are so lucky to have a very advanced veterinary referral hospital 15 minutes from our home. They really seem to be on top of these things. It makes me feel sad when I read messages from those of you who do not have access to this level of care and knowledge. Of course that all comes with its own price, and I know that between myself and my local friends, we ensure the financial well-being of that hospital!

Sending hugs for you and healing thoughts for Ladybug.

default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif

Thats wonderful Theresa! YAY!!!

The paste that I had to give my mare was called CMPK paste. And I had to give about a 2" ribbon of it. It was a big tube so I just squirted the correct amount into a smaller syringe and gave it to her that way.

Here is the one I used. http://www.sheepman.com/ecommerce/ecomm_pr...at&catid=59

It is good because it not only has the calcium, but also the phos and magnesium that they need to help regulate their system.

Great news on the update Theresa. Keeping fingers and toes crossed that she continues to improve and can be home with you and Art soon.

[SIZE=12pt]I'm so happy for you that "Lady" is feeling a bit better today and I hope she continues to improve in her recovery process.... [/SIZE]

Wow, I'm going to be checking at my local supply store to see if I can get some of that paste. I've got three babies due next year, and I want to be as prepared as I can be. You just never know.

I'm so glad your Lady bug is better. One of my pregnant mare is also named Ladybug. (Little Ladybug-AMHA registered).

You are an amazing woman, and I glad things improve for your sweet Lady, sending my prayers and light for her as well.

Glad she is getting better. Also happy that you posted this. It's an eye opener. Sometimes we learn from mistakes but it so much better to learn before one is made. I'm still reeling from a vet that had to be forced to do a blood test.
default_wacko.png

Oh my gosh, I am SO GLAD you INSISTED on the vet doing that!!!!! You saved her life by making them do it! I am thrilled to hear that she is improving!!!!

I have never had or seen a horse with a calcium deficiency.... does anyone know how they get it or why? Do most feed stores carry the paste? How would you know they have a problem until they end up sick like this?! This is really scary!

I hope she continues to improve and bet she will be back to her normal self soon!! I sure hope so- you dont need more drama!!! Give her a hug and another cookie!

So glad Lady is doing better. This something I have never seen or heard of. Do you give supplement to combat this?

Prayers for you and Lady.

Carol

Prayers for Lady that she continues to improve and is back home with you and Art. She is one lucky "Lady" to have you.

Barbie

Sending prayers for LadyBugs continued healing. Poor girl. I had a Samoyed that had this after having puppies, I almost lost her but got her to the vet quickly like you and she was saved. It was amazing how fast she came back after getting IV calcium. My heart breaks for you Theresa that you are continued to be challlenged in this way. Your resolve is really getting a work out. I will say prayers to keep you strong and determined.

God Bless dear heart.

Back