Prayers needed for Whisper

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicky Texas

Reaction score
Hi Gang

I am sorry I have not been able to post in a long while. I have been reading and keeping

up with everyone. For all of you have had new babies, Big Congratulations, for those

to come, Congratulations. With my new job it seems like I have no life left. Working for

them and taking care of our horses, I feel like I don't keep my head up anymore.

This last weekend we bought some hay here in Texas. The seller said it was great hay,

comes with Money back if not happy. Well, the hay look yellow, but I thought it was okay.

He kept saying its green on the inside.

Well, we get it home, feed late.. Sunday we are feeding it, and I look at it, I thought wow,

this bale was really dry. No green, but it just did not look right. I pulled it. Fed Grain instead.

Well, that afternoon 2 horses colic. Great.. gave banamine, and watch them. They were fine.

Thank goodness. All others seem okay. I was trying to watch all of them. Well, called the

guy back on the hay. I am not happy. But he is a jerk now.. No more Mr. Nice guy.

Well, Monday, I had to work early. So I had to feed the horses on my break. Came in to feed.

All seem okay. Well all but one. Whisper comes in to the stall I was feeding and looks at me,

like HELP.. she is now gasping for air, mouth foaming. Choke.. I am due back to work and

my baby is choking. So I rush to call the Vet, and then the Job to tell them I would not be

back in. They were and are not happy with me. I am sorry my babies come first.

Well, off to the Vet to get help. The vet tubes her, and does not feel any choke. Says now

she is in bad colic. I still think she was choking, but maybe in the trailer she was able to

clear it. Or when he put the tube down, it clear. Well, now we are treating her for her colic.

He work for 2 hours on her. He gave her IV's but had to do it with a cather, her blood vessels

were not holding needles. Well, we finally get to bring her home. I watch her closely last

night and had to work today. She was about the same this AM. Not really doing much.

But still breathing hard. Lots of prayers today.

This evening, she is finally breathing a bit more normal. But if I enter her stall she starts

breathing really hard. Once I leave she settles down. I think its she gets so scared.

She is finally drinking water on her own. Yeah, We are giving her Electroytes. She is not

eating yet, but showing more signs of being interested. She will stand over the food and look.

But nothing much else. I think her troat and all still hurt. She is still on banamine for the pain

and keep her loose up. She is standing a lot more tonight too. It sure has been so scary.

So watch the hay you buys, watch the horses you feed.

I am just so thankful I still have Sweetwaters Just a Whisper with me.

Thanks for any prayers

Vicky

Sorry its so long, but I wanted to add. I had the Vet check the hay we bought and its BAD..

Its molded, and bad hay. Its what is causing the colic's in our barn. And the Choke in Whisper.

Sure praying its over in our barn.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a nightmare, probably lucky you saw it when you did and contained it to only a few horses. I am so picky about hay - bought 100 bales last summer from our usual hay grower, just wasn't quite right. I called him, took a couple bales back out for him to see......oh it's okay he says. I know it didn't get rained on. He gave us credit for about 20 bales, I'm feeding the rest......carefully and grudgingly. I'm going to forward your story to a few people who think I am overly picky.
default_wacko.png

Hope your problems resolve quickly and completely.

Jan

I got your email. This is soooooo bad!

I hope all will be well shortly. Boy you

really have got to watch that hay and

not take anyone's word for it anymore.

PS: I hate your new job!

OH MY!!! Ya'll are in our prayers!! My heart goes out to you and Whisper. I hope she continues to show signs of improvement.. Please keep us posted!!

Mendy

Good thoughts and healing prayers for Whisper.
default_pray.gif
I hope she gets better quickly and completely.

[SIZE=12pt]You and your little Whisper are in my prayers tonight
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
Sure hope all will be ok.[/SIZE]

Joy

Oh gosh I am sorry! Hopefully she will get back to her old self in a hurry

I got your email. This is soooooo bad!

I hope all will be well shortly. Boy you

really have got to watch that hay and

not take anyone's word for it anymore.

PS: I hate your new job!
me too Marty, I love my babies I keep, but sure will be so glad when we sale our place

and get to move. I so miss our talks.

Vicky

Update on Whisper

She had a better night. This morning I went out to give her a shot of Banamine.

She is now finally holding her head up a lot more, she is still standing a lot more.

Which is the first sign of life we have had. I have not been able to catch her eating.

She stands over the hay or feed, But I have not seen her eat yet. She is with her buddy.

She gets frantic if her buddy is not there. Porcelain is taking it all in stride.

She is pooping, and wetting, and drinking water. So I am just watching her.

Any one else with Choke. How long did it take for them to eat? I know her neck is sore,

and I am sure her throat is too.

Thanks for the prayers

Vicky

I am so glad to hear she is doing better.

(I know how scary it is when they get sick .)

Wishing Whisper a continued speedy recovery!!

-Becky

So glad to hear that Whisper is doing better. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

Tammie~

Oh No,,,,

I am sorry she isn't feeling well. And the stress of the job doesn't help either.

If you give her grain, can you add water and make a cool watery mush with her grain, her throat probably does hurt. You probably are doing this already though. Hope she gets much better soon!

I had choke in an old biggie a couple of times. One of the times it did lead to a scary but short lived colic. He was willing to eat really soon afterwards, though. I'm a little worried for your girl
default_sad.png
. I would definitely add water to her food.

I am so sorry to hear about Whisper. Choke is a scary thing to have happen. I never did but a neighbor did. I am sure her throat still is sore. Have you tried giving her beet pulp that has been completely soaked, and soupy? I amvery picky about my hay as well. We grow our own, so I do have first choice, but I have seen so many people feeding just rotton nasty hay~~ I would just like to scream at them!

I'm so sorry about Whisper but glad to hear she's improving. When both my minis were at the vet hospital for colic and a virus (secondary colic), after they clear their systems they always start them on Purina Senior with water to make a mash (only small handfuls of hay on the second day). The horses are usually happy to eat it and the soupy mix is easier to eat plus it gets water in their system. Just a thought.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

Rebecca

That had to have been awfully scary! Adding my prayers for Whisper. Were you able to find some GOOD hay? That guy that sold you the rotten hay should be ashamed of himself, argh!

We had a really bad episode of choke in our big mare, she was tubed and worked on for 3 hours and could not get it cleared!! Finally after giving her some oxitocin it cleared but she did not eat for several days and then we finally started feeding her warm beet pulp with some senior in it!! So you might try that!!

Good Luck!!

Prayers lifted for your sweet Whisper.
default_wub.png

I am so sorry to hear about your little one, my prayers are going out to her in hopes that she continues to get better, hope she starts eating soon. That guy should be shot, my hubby when we get our hay always goes through lots of bales to make sure its not moldy.

So sorry to hear about your experience. I hope Whisper and the rest get back to normal real soon...

Latest posts

Back