Prayers needed for Whisper

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry to hear about your horses. I hope everything is well. Have you ever though of using alfalfa cubes? I know some trainers and that is all they feed.

I am lucky that I have a great farmer up here who supplys me with all of my hay and it is always really good hay.

I hope everyone is alright now!!

[SIZE=12pt]Vicky,[/SIZE]

Has your vet mentioned the possibility of enteritis? We have had a case that I thought was choke initally, but she refluxed through the stomach tube when it was inserted. I hope it resolves itself soon. Is she actively drinking, or just wetting her mouth? Does she have any discharge from her mouth or nose?

I sure hope Whisper gets better! So sorry to hear about your hay situation! I'm picky too, but with the hay shortage around here, its hard to be too picky.
default_no.gif

I hope she does a 100% recovery for you!
default_sad.png

This sounds like the choke my Yorkie had. She died 2 weeks later.
default_no.gif
Sorry to say that but she would stand over the food and wanted to eat but just couldn't bring herself to. However she did drink.

Sending thoughts and prayers your way for Whisper!!! I hope she's doing better soon. Also praying that you sell your place soon!!!

Heather

Yes, from what I have dealt with, sounds like enteritis,it can lead to ulcers and cause a horse to be prone to GI upset and bacterial infections of the GI track. The no fever, no fever, then high fever along with the other symptoms sound like GI track issues along with a bacterial infection.

Just remember, if you were a bad owner, you wouldn't be seeking help for your horse, you wouldn't know they were ill untill they were just about gone.

Sometimes we can try to do everything right and still have it go so wrong. Don't beat yourself up.

You can request the animal hospital to hydrate and stabilize, which usually means they will give broad spectrum antibiotics if needed, tubing and oiling if needed, give fluids via a cath and pain management. It cuts out the bloodwork and random testing.

Hope your horse makes a full recovery soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get some alfalfa cubes, make her a soup.soak the cubes until they are really soft and break apart then add more water.Most horse love alfalfa and she will be getting some nourishment.Her throat is probably sore much like humans after having tonsils removed.Maybe vanilla yogurt, but ask your vet .good luck and keep us posted.

This is a hard post for me to write tonight, and I am sorry it will be a hard one to

read.

First from the bottom of my heart Thank You for your prayers for Whisper.

My heart is broken tonight, as we lost our Whisper today. Its been a very rough day

for us. Sweetwaters Just A Whisper 2 crossed the rainbow into Heaven's beautiful

gates into God's loving arms today. I was with her right till the end. I held her beautiful

Blue Roan Appaloosa head and kissed her as she crossed to Heaven into God's arm's.

I am only left tears and heart break. She was so beautiful. She was my driving Mare,

and we were hoping to breed her later and get a appaloosa filly. Now that day is gone.

She Choke on Monday, and I found her. I was out feeding when she came into the stall

and she was gasping for air. I rushed her to the Vet's office. They tube her and she

started breathing better. Dr. Tony then informed me she was colic. So they started treatment

for Colic. She was dehydrated and they gave 2 bags of fluids. She improved, so they let

her come home. She was fair on Tuesday. Starting to shows signs of life again. She

started drinking water and was holding her head up more. She got upset when I let her

buddy go into the next stall to eat. She had to be with her, and pushed open the gate and

went to stand next to her. Whisper was not interested still in food. So I put them back together.

She, Porcelain and Eeyore were the best of friends. I kept Porcelain with her right to the end.

Porcelain was there when she took her last breath. Whisper last night was showing much

improvement. She had a pretty good day. I had to work, but had my brother checking

her all day. I was home for lunch and she was doing good. She had a really good night last

night. This Morning I went to give her a pain shot. She greeted me at her gate with her

sweet nicker. She was up and moving everywhere. She fussed at me.. She was doing

so good. Her breathing was normal. Her gums look good. I was so happy, I felt like she

was going to be okay.

Lunch time I got off work and came home. I look on the monitor, she was down laying next

to the gate. It scared me. I ran to see her, and found she was so bad. I rushed to call the Vet

and my darn job to tell them I would not be back today. My Mom had to work for me this

afternoon. I got the Vet and they told me to give more med's and get there. I did and we got

there. Whisper rode over standing up. I put Porcalain in the front of the trailer incase she

had to stay, so she would have her buddy. Once we reach the parking lot, I heard her go down.

It would be the last time she would stand. Once there, we spent the day there.

Dr. Tony work on her, but he had to do it in the back of trailer. She could no longer stand.

He said her Colic was so bad now. She was not going to make it. He continue to run test and

check her, and work. But her Heart rate was now 185 and should be 45. Her breathing was

so labor, and gums should be pink were now so purple. Her temp. had now raised to 106.

and Her brain was cooked. She had ruptured her intestines, he felt it was her small intestines.

And she was going into shock. The rupture was spilling toxic's into her body and no

surgery would save her. So I had to have her humanly put down. She was given a shot

and I held her head as she crossed the rainbow into Heaven's beautiful Gates and into

God's incredible hands.

Marty, I know as she crossed Michael was there waiting too, he took her that beautiful barn

and he is taking care of her for me.

This is the hardest thing we have to do as a horse owner, it is beyond heart breaking to

loose them, its so hard. Its just so heart breaking. Our barn is empty tonight without her.

Porcelain said her good bye's tonight to Whisper before I separated them for the last time.

She stopped and put her head to Whisper's and they touched. Porcelain just stood there,

looking at her. And then she was ready to join the other horses and ran right to Eeyore.

Laura I think your post was right on. It did start with Choke. But today, it turned into your

post. So please please watch what hay you buy and feed. I know in my heart this bad, is

what started this all. There is nothing that will fix it or change it, Whisper is gone. My heart

is so broken. It will be hard to see them all out running and no whisper. Its hard to know

one day was fine and running and playing her best Friend Porcelain and today is gone forever.

Thank you for your prayers.

Vicky

I will miss your forever and will never stop loving you till we meet again in Heaven.

awhisperlk7.jpg

My heart is broken for you...I am so, so sorry....
default_no.gif

Liz R.

I am very sorry.
default_sad.png
It makes me grateful that my horse made it through choke fine when he did. That would be so hard on me if that happened to my horse. Did you tell the man what happened? If it was the hay's fault maybe he shouldn't be allow to sell hay any more.

Oh Im so sorry Vicki!
default_no.gif
I havent been on to see your post till now and you poor thing. I dont know what else to say
default_sad.png

I am very sorry.
default_sad.png
It makes me grateful that my horse made it through choke fine when he did. That would be so hard on me if that happened to my horse. Did you tell the man what happened? If it was the hay's fault maybe he shouldn't be allow to sell hay any more.
No, we have not heard from him. I have not had time to call him yet. I will be calling

him. He knows the hay is bad, and when I called him the first time to tell him how

upset I was, and we had had 2 horses colic on it. Both made and are fine. He hung

up on me. I went the next AM and cancelled my check. I put a stop payment on it.

With all we have had with Whisper, I have not had a chance yet to deal with him.

But I will be..

I don't know who to call to make sure he won't be selling any hay, is there anyone to call.

Vicky

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet mare.
default_no.gif
My heart is breaking for you. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I am so sorry to hear of this. I hope you will be okay?

You are right she is in heaven now. Thank you for sharing this heartbreaking story.

Beth

I'm so sorry Vicky, I was hoping she would prove me wrong. Our filly did not make it either
default_no.gif
My thoughts are with you sweetie....`

Latest posts

Back