Please say a prayer for Dandy (update)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
My gelding Dandy didn't eat his grain Sunday and was kind of lethargic. Yesterday morning he still wasn't right so I took him to the vet. He has a bacterial infection in his gut.

He is still in the hospital and they are predicting he will be there at least 2-3 more days. His white blood count was better today than yesterday but still not up to normal.

They are trying to keep him hydrated and get the diarhea stopped. He is very sick but has a better chance than he did yesterday.

Dandy is the gelding that was so horrible to handle when I got him but after gelding him he is now pretty sweet to people but definitely the herd boss.

He is very aptly named Demanding Dandy.

Mary

Update: Dandy came home today. He is far from well but the vet said he thought he would do better at home. He is on some pretty strong medications for the next few days then on some stomach meds for a few weeks. He is still not eating anything except a nibble of hay occasionally. He did eat a little bit of grass (about 4 bites) and that is at least something. He no longer has explosive diarhea, his stool is still not normal but is firming up. The vet thinks he will eventually be okay but it will be weeks before he is back to normal.

He is in his stall with a feeder full of hay and his supper in case he decides to eat it. He is drinking a lot of water but he needs it in order to not get dehydrated.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers, they are much appreciated.

He still tried to bicker with his buddy so he still has some spunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prayers sent your way
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
:pray and a kiss for you
default_cheekkiss.gif
{{HUGS}}

default_saludando.gif
i its horrible when one of our babys get sick

iam send you a big hug and prays for you little man

hope he gets better real soon

Oh no Mary! I will for sure send prayers to Dandy. That is serious stuff he has. I'm glad you have a great vet.

{{{hugs}}}

I'm saying prayers, Mary! Dandy has been one of the forum's special horses to me over the years with pictures of his parades, etc I'm praying he's home with you again soon and feeling much better.

Mary so very sorry to hear that Dandy is not doing well. He is a determined little boy so I know he will get well soon. Keep us posted on his progress.

Mary -

Keeping Dandy in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing him a speedy recovery!
default_yes.gif

Liz N.

Mary -

I'm very sorry about Demanding Dandy, and I hope he get's well soon!

That is good news that his white blood count is improving.

I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers - you and Dandy both, he sounds like such a great horse.
pray.gif

Thanks for the update Mary. I've been worried. I'll send more prayers his way!

Latest posts

Back