PlayTime Minis - 2014 Foaling Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Sara I'm so thrilled for you!! What a gorgeous little girl - tiny but perfect.
default_thumbup.gif

So glad that you were there for sweet Madeline - just goes to show that some mares will happily foal during the day!

Many many congratulations - cant wait for today's pictures.
default_yes.gif

I'm glad she went during the day too. Madeline has been awesome the entire time.

Baby is fine this morning and hope to get them out when the sun warms.

Thank you one and all.

Don't forget to give momma Ivermectin in these first 24 hours. And soft mushy foods will help her get her system going again.

Can't wait for more pictures of her little one!

Thanks Diane. She did get Ivermectin. Learned that from all of you. And I fixed her a bran mash yesterday - peppermint flavor - and she ate it right down. I've learned so much from all of you on what to do. I'd be lost without you.

Out this morning as the sun is warm. Baby has "golden slippers" on her feet. Never knew about them and wow, so much more to learn always.

2014april18thmorningfoal 001.JPG 2014april18thmorningfoal 003.JPG

Oh, she is just PRECIOUS!!!!!! Look at those pretty tippy ears, and such a delightful, feminine face! LOVE that little white 'button' on her nose.
default_yes.gif

Thanks so much for the pictures!

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll do more photos later. I've put them back in the barn and this filly is so tiny Madeline was napping and lying on her side and the filly was nursing while Madeline was lying down. I got on the scale with her and it's saying she's about 10 pounds. She's so much tinier in person than the photos but she seems really strong and sturdy. My biggest challenge is to not carry her everywhere.

Now Kalico will probably foal a giant and I won't mind as long as it's a healthy giant.

default_new_rofl.gif
LOL I agree a giant is ok as long as mama and foal are healthy oh and you too of course!!

Congrats on your beautiful filly, my smallest was about her size at birth (he's the tiny brown thing under the mare in my avatar) but he was out of a 33 inch mare!!! Poor boy used to sputter and choke when he nursed because he had to reach so far up to nurse and the vet said he would just have to grow... Well he is now a 26" 4 year old stallion, and still as adorable as ever .
default_wub.png

My smallest was almost her size, not quite, but she was just fine, and grew into a great little girl -- staying VERY tiny like her momma when she grew up. They're tiny -- but spunky!

Love her!

Jax, Wow, he is tiny!!!

Diane, how do tiny ones happen? Last year, Sweetie who is 31.5 was bred to same stud, Eagles Fine Art, and had Kate who is going to mature at 33" and wasn't tiny at all when she was born and now Madeline popped out this tiny baby. Is there a way you can tell or does it just happen?

Thank you!!! I so love your baby too. He's a doll. Do you have any more photos of him?

Oh she is just so cute - a very pretty little girl!
default_hypocrite.gif

How's Kalico looking?

Will do photos of her tomorrow but I'm watching her around the clock as I think she's ready to go too. Hoping for Easter but a safe delivery any day will do.

Jax, Wow, he is tiny!!!

Diane, how do tiny ones happen? Last year, Sweetie who is 31.5 was bred to same stud, Eagles Fine Art, and had Kate who is going to mature at 33" and wasn't tiny at all when she was born and now Madeline popped out this tiny baby. Is there a way you can tell or does it just happen?
Some people say the size of the mare determines the size of the foal. I, personally, don't truly believe this is the correct answer. I once bought a pregnant mare, and had a foal born here from a 27" momma bred to a 32" stallion, who produced a beautiful filly after a VERY hard save. Baby was almost as tall as momma -- a full 22", only 5" shorter than momma. I had to milk momma and feed baby for 3 days, while I taught her how to kneel down to get low enough to nurse from momma. She finally figured it out, and wound up towering over momma as she matured. So, I don't believe that the mother's size is the full explanation, or this baby wouldn't have almost killed her momma.

It's one of the reasons I don't breed the teeny mommas to much taller stallions. With Falabellas, I know that there can be a 'downsizing' at work in their gene pool, but many of my tiny American minis have produced these teeny ones. And many of the small ones have great foaling hips and produce these little ones with almost no help at all. That's why I don't believe it is hard to breed these small ones. I've had 34" mares that had nothing but problems delivering even when bred to smaller stallion while some tiny mares just pop them out.

I don't know a scientific answer for why baby is so small, but she's a beauty and well worth the wait! LOVE the pictures!!!!

Thank you Diane. That's so interesting. I've always thought it was worrisome to breed the tinies but there's way more to it and I need to learn more. I really appreciate your help and input as I have mostly tinies here.

Here's some morning photos. Hope they make you smile. I've named her Razzle Dazzle and going to call her Dazzle as she has dazzled me for sure. I'm totally smitten. Photos of Kalico later.

2104april20thdazzle 027.JPG 2104april20thdazzle 028.JPG

2104april20thdazzle 029.JPG 2104april20thdazzle 030.JPG

Latest posts

Back