Opinions needed please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I mean was she exposed to your stallion at all last summer or fall? Is it possible she is further along in her pregnancy? I have heard of pregnant mares looking like they were in heat, and breeding although they were already pregnant
No she wasn’t exposed to him prior

Last edited:
I took it upon myself to start her on SMZ since it’s safe during pregnancy and is the treatment for placentitis, I feel the benefit out ways the risk don’t you agree. I’m so nervous I have a bad feeling and I hate that. Besides I can’t get my vet here for about a week since it’s not an emergency

Last edited:
I had a mare abort twins at about 6 months. She did produce an udder and lactated for a while. Now I'm so paranoid about checking for single implantations. Fingers crossed for you BrookeB. How is she looking today?

I had a mare abort twins at about 6 months. She did produce an udder and lactated for a while. Now I'm so paranoid about checking for single implantations. Fingers crossed for you BrookeB. How is she looking today?
Oh my gosh sorry to hear, that had to be so hard to see :( I’m nervous and really sad this is her today, gut feeling I don’t like. I also don’t like how her vulva looks, what do you think???

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpeg
    IMG_0777.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0778.jpeg
    IMG_0778.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
QUESTION… if an antibiotic is given for Placentitis end it works let’s say, will the udder shrink again???

My vet said if you put her on smz for placentitis you need to keep her on them until she foals. As far as shrinking, I don't know. My mare started an udder early and scared me. But it never got bigger. Then around 10 months she started stocking up in her legs, which I have seen be a sign of placentitis. My vet agreed to put her on smz even though she doubted it. In 2 days her legs were normal, but then she started developing an udder.

My vet said if you put her on smz for placentitis you need to keep her on them until she foals. As far as shrinking, I don't know. My mare started an udder early and scared me. But it never got bigger. Then around 10 months she started stocking up in her legs, which I have seen be a sign of placentitis. My vet agreed to put her on smz even though she doubted it. In 2 days her legs were normal, but then she started developing an udder.
Wait are you serious she has to stay on SMZ for 7 months😱😱😱???????? is your baby Ok were there any complications?

My goodness! It seems that you may well have been right! Udder is definitely coming down. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that everything goes more smoothly for the remainder of her pregnancy!!!
Is placentitis more common in the states? It's something I don't know if I've ever heard of up here.

This is tonight’s photos, I think it’s really obvious now that it’s down don’t you think??? I’m super nervous about this pregnancy because she’s so early, hoping I’m not prolonging the inevitable which will be far worse later on. If anyone has alot of experience with placentitis please tell all🙏🏼

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpeg
    IMG_0821.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
My goodness! It seems that you may well have been right! Udder is definitely coming down. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that everything goes more smoothly for the remainder of her pregnancy!!!
Is placentitis more common in the states? It's something I don't know if I've ever heard of up here.
Thank you so much🙏🏼
I don’t have much if any personal experience with it but it terrifies me because I have so far to go in this pregnancy

My vet came out today he did confirm she has a swollen warm udder. Her SAA was zero which is wonderful so no infection showing but she has been on SMZ for about a week. He upped her SMZ to 5 pills every 12 hours, took a pregnancy blood panel so it will show fetal hormones as well as hers to confirm or deny viability of fetus if of course she’s for sure pregnant. He’s not sure if she has placentitis or just mammary inflammation not related to pregnancy as she’s would be on the early side to show placentitis but it wouldn’t be completely abnormal at this stage. If it’s confirmed then he’s starting her on Regimate as well. Her udder is coming down which he feels is suspicious though. I’ll know by early next week🤞🏼

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpeg
    IMG_0878.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back