one mare due to foal. COLT! born 24/9/12 :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope all goes well.
default_smile.png

Dang wish my internet was playing nicer so I could help watch :/ Fingers crossed though!

1.50am and all quiet - she keeps flicking her ears back as though having "tummy" thoughts!!

Good luck and fingers crossed for a smooth, safe foaling.
default_yes.gif

3:41AM...Low alert on cam. She is looking pretty agitated. Lots of belly biting.

Dunno. It was there when I checked earlier. She was doing some serious pacing and belly biting though.

Her feed bowl is in with her all night, and she hasn't been fed yet this morning. She does seem to get very stressed each morning when wating to be fed, which is not really good for her right now. Hope all is well with Cassie - I thought she was supposed to be home by now?

Hi girls, sorry about not keeping you updated... been very busy here and with Classic teasing us nearly every night I'm exhausted! so much that yesterday morning, I slept through all my alarms and didn't wake up till 9:30am!!
default_thud.gif
I usually can't sleep in past 8am even if I try! poor Classic,
default_sad.png
was meant to start work at 9am woops! mum totally understood though... thank goodness!

the low alert was on her, because she looked to be in first stage labour during the day... we now know that she was just VERY VERY itchy, which was causing her to act this way... but seriously thought I was going to have a foal during the day! hence the sleepless night then last morning LOL
default_giveup.gif

we are now trying to sort out the issue behind why she is so itchy and I have got some QV wash which I'm going to wash her in, have a product called healthy hair care derma shampoo and conditioner on order which is meant to be fantastic so wil give that a go
default_smile.png
just sprayed some lavender on her to see if that will help, we had a big storm yesterday
default_thumbup.gif
and I left Classic out in it, and she got a lovely massage and wash from the rain, her coat felt so much better when I brought her in,

so we are hoping that we will be able to get the itch sorted out before she foals.

her udder went down for a good 3 days or so, but has just started coming back up (thank goodness!) karen came over on the weekend and was really happy with how she was looking which is exciting

any other suggestions on how to relieve her itchiness would be appreciated, I posted on the main forum, but only one person commented which is a bit sad
default_thumbdown.gif
was thinking it would be a topic many people would be able to help out about... but anyway

another day closer to Classic foaling I hope she goes soon. I'm exhausted!

Really depends on the source of the itch.

If it's something like lice then you pretty much have to dive in with a lice killer and hope it clears up soon.

If it is fungul or bacteria related a medicated wash (huge fan of malaseb here!) can knock it out.

Dry skin then QV or an oil wash paired with a medicated wash can start to handle that but you also need to look at the diet.

Winter coat coming out, lots of grooming or clipping it out.

Hope that gives you some ideas!
default_smile.png

oh yes! why did I forget about malaseb! DUH!!! LOL thanks Bree! loved malaseb while at the vets... the shampoo I'm getting is antibacterial as well.

since being with me diet wise, she gets 1/2 scoop lucerne, 1/2 wheaten chaff, 1 scoop mitavite breeda, and lucerne hay available 24/7, she is on cell grow and gets carrot treats every now and then. we think she already had this when she came to me, is it safe to use a lice killer on a pregnant mare? and is it ok for me to use as a precaution as I don't know if she has lice or not... :/

I have been trying to groom her as much as possible, she likes scratches but doesn't really like the brush that much,

lol I saw her getting agitated the other day when she was on low alert and told phoebe to come and watch. After a while we realised nothing was happening. Shame about the itch, there's always something isnt there!

Malaseb is the best
default_smile.png
Just converted my agistor to it after it cleaned up his filly's rain scald in one treatment.

I'd check with a vet before using any lice treatment just to make sure it'll be foal/broodmare safe.

ok thanks Bree
default_smile.png
yeah Malaseb is the best!

I have just done three treatments using lavender, oragano, and melaleuca in a spray and her coat is looking soo much better! and she seems more settled, don't know if it will cure the itch but I'm hoping it is helping to soothe it, her coat sure is looking better from it
default_smile.png

the stupid camera has been stuffing up grrr I've been having to go out to the stable and turn it back on at least once a night if not (like last nite) 3 tmes!! grr so today I'm going to have a play at switching cords, cams etc... hoping to get it working better!

Classic's udder is finally starting to fill again! phew! thought it would never happen LOL

I'm surprised you can still open you eyelids anymore, you must be so tired you poor thing lol.

Hopefully it wont drag out too much longer!

haha thanks
default_smile.png
, I'm hoping we are on the home stretch now
default_smile.png

yeah I'm pretty beggered tonight. its only 8pm and my eyes are already threatening to close so I think I will set my laptop up, and watch an episode of Once Upon A Time then head to bed... Bree and Diane I just watched the one on Ruby (lil red riding hood) WOW so did not expect that!!! was a fantastic episode can't believe it! hehe ;)

tonight Classic has cow patty poops, udder is bigger and guess what... WE HAVE WAX!!!! two small beads of wax won't be long now
default_smile.png
woohoo!! come on Classic! so exciting :pillow:

bring on the baby!

oh Diane I just watched the Mad Hatter one!! WOW awesome episode! loved him!! LOL
default_smile.png

yeah and the next Downton Abbey comes out in the UK today I think... wish it was coming out here!!!

Latest posts

Back