Of The Books You've Read This Year...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
I read A LOT. When it comes to my "for fun" reading, it's always unabridged audio books. I listen to them when I go to and from the office (1hr each way) and before I go to bed most nights. The only problem is when I listen to them before bed, I fall asleep SO fast!

This past year, I have really enjoyed:

• All of Charlaine Harris' books (the Sookie Stackhouse books and her Harper Connelly ones as well)
  • Dean Koontz' Frankenstein Series
  • Stephen Kings' Under the Dome and Full Dark No Stars
  • Joe Hill's Horns (loved!)
  • Christopher Moore's Blood Sucking Fiends series (funny!)
  • Stephenie Myer's The Host (loved it more than her vampire series, by far)

Nothing beats a good book!!!

So, what about you? What books have you especially enjoyed the past year or so?

Last edited by a moderator:
I Loved Stieg Larsons books:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The Girl Who Played With Fire and

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest.

My sister read those and really liked them, too! I've been meaning to check them out
default_yes.gif

I really enjoyed Bloodsucking Fiends (just read the one so far)

Dean Koontz' What the Night Knows is probably the scariest, best book I've read in 2011
default_ohnoes.jpg

Matt, based on your recommendation before, I am eargerly awaiting the arrival of that DK audio book! In the meantime, I have just started Phantoms.

PS I'm gonna tell H it's all your fault when I'm too scared to go to the bathroom by myself at night
default_biggrin.png

Funny......I've never considered audio books unless it's for while driving.

This year I've re-read Mary Stewart's Merlin series. Never get tired of it........ Just loaned them all out to a certain family member with my husband's reassurance that she'll return them.......(Nervous.)

Oh, audio books are so relaxing! It's the only way I want to read books for fun and been that way for YEARS. The actors who read them are awesome.

I'll have to check out the Merlin books. I've never read them!

The tricksters choice and the tricksters queen- just awesome books. Forever Amber, The Host, The Uglies and the rest of the series are fairly good (get you hooked), Shadow of the Wind (one of the best books ever written in my opinion), Jane Eyre (i'm excited for the movie coming out!)....these are just a few off the top of my head. I'm a bookaholic so a read a lot. I'll write down more if/when I think of them.

This year I am working through the Jack Reacher audiobooks by Lee Childs.

Currently listening to a JA Jance book while waiting for the next Reacher audio book to come in (on reserve).

Have a pile of books waiting to be read.

Got the Nook a few months ago and love reading on it. I've read:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The Girl Who Played With Fire and

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest.

Killing Tide by PJ Alderman

I'm now reading The Next Accident by Lisa Gardner.

This is a great topic Jill!

I liked the Stieg Larsons books too...waiting for the third one to come out in paperback. I've been reading a lot lately. Just read Endings by Barbara Bergin (she's my orthopedic dr and rides reiners), great book but next time I'm in I have to ask her about the ending...what was she thinking LOL! Read The Lincoln Lawyer not long ago and I see it's coming out on the big screen now. Getting ready to start an old one, Spoon River Anthology. Don't know how I missed it but I've never read it before. Also have George W's book Decision Point on my list. The Kennedy Detail is an interesting look into the Kennedy years & assassination from the viewpoint of the secret service agents. My brother was on his detail and is mentioned in the book, which of course makes it more interesting.
default_smile.png

If I can't find anything fresh to read I always go back and read a Dick Francis book - have read them all, always good.

Jan

I have just been thrilled with Patricia Briggs series for her character Mercy Thompson. In particular I LOVE Blood Bound. She is a rare shape shifter (turns into a coyote - not the same as werewolves). She was raised by a society of werewolves as her Native American father had died in a car accident (she got the shifting from him)and her young mother didnt know how to raise her properly when she found out her daughter was a shifter. There are werewolves, vampires, ghosts (on occasion). The characters are well rounded and fabulous to read about. Im so into this series I am rereading books one and two for the third time now (I dont have the other ones yet but have borrowed and read them once). I just got into this series last August and I am a slow reader. I could go on and on about this series...and have to Holly as well as everyone around me
default_biggrin.png
The first one is very good but it really gets going in the second one. They could make some GREAT movies with this series if they do it right and dont botch it like The Last Airbender was sadly slaughtered (alas I digress). My brother didnt believe me that the books rocked till he started them. HA!
default_laugh.png

I forgot to say, the best performed audio books I have listened to are the Harry Potter books.

Love Janet Evanovich, the early books in audio were also good. Laugh out loud kind of books, best read in order.

I read alot. I probably go through about 6-7 books a month. I especially like Koontz, Larrson, King, Picoult, there are many more authors I could go on and on. I'd say one of my favorites from the past few months has got to be "The story of Edgar Sawtelle" and "Water for Elephants" (I don't remember the author for either, I'd have to google it)

Water for Elephants was a fantastic book... I read it in three hours.

Still Alice is about a woman with early onset Alzheimer's... hits close to home because both of my grandparents suffer from the disease. Very good book.

The Crimson Petal and The White... haven't finished it quite yet, but it is still a fantastic book so far.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Host ... I like this one better than her Twilight Series. The Twilight Saga was good, but nothing to scream about in my opinion.

I have read many more, but I cannot think of them all.
default_smile.png

My wonderful boyfriend bought me a Kindle for Christmas... makes my book obsession so much easier.... I can get my hands on a lot of books.
default_yes.gif

Lots of good books to check out!!
default_aktion033.gif

Right now I am re reading, Star War's Wraith squadron.

I have a kindle also, love it!! Looking up titles now from all these suggestions. Thanks for starting this Jill!

The Kite Runner- anyone who has not read this book really needs to. It's won a bunch of rewards and for good reason. Actually, the author has written other books that are amazing as well. One of which is one of my favorites of all time.

I soooo have to get a Nook or Kindle. I may just relent and get an iTouch. My friends have been bugging me to get one so that we can do "face time" lol. My friend even gave me a free, unused Airport Express (wifi). I can get an ebook app on the iTouch, right? I'm soooo behind on technology it's not even funny...
default_rolleyes.gif

Back