Now they are both sick

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry its heart breaking to feel so helpless. You did everything you could to help without a vet coming. I sure hope your vet has gotten there to check Tango and get to the bottom of this horrible ordeal for you.

Are your vets always so hard to get out?

We were just near your area this weekend in Stuart VA but left to come back to NJ yesterday. Wish we were there to help or at least console you when you needed someone. (((((HUGS))))

Last edited by a moderator:
I am soooo VERY terribly sorry for your loss. What a tragic way for you to lose your boy.
default_no.gif
Like the others have said, do not blame yourself...you did all you possibly could have, but those vets sure need a a swift kick in the....!!! It was easy for all of us here, to "hear" it in your posts, just how frantic you were with the situation, so I am sure that they must have heard it in your voice on the phone when calling them! I am so sorry that you were treated the way you were, and put off like it was nothing to be concerned with...nothing a shot of pennicillin and banamine wouldn't cure!
default_no.gif
I swear sometimes they just do that to make the person think they are getting something for their money or so that if they don;t know, they don't have to admit it!
default_sad.png

At the very least, can you maybe have a necropsy done to check for poisoning and then send a bill to the hay guy if it turns out to be that he sold you poisonous hay?? Again, I am so very sorry. (((HUGS)))

Last edited by a moderator:
wondering how tango is doing??? So sorry to read about Lemby, I have been there and I know how bad it hurts, stay strong for Tango, he needs you

I, too, send you hugs from across the miles for the loss of your beloved mini.

I am just so saddened by the lack of promptness from your vets. It is just mind-boggling.

OH no! I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to watch our babies suffer. You did your best and now you need to put your efforts in to taking care of Tango. I hope you still have the horse vet out and showed him your hay and such and to check on Tango. Sending more prayers your way.

Oh Genea, I am so sorry. Ive only just come across this thread. My heart is breaking for you. We too have suffered some terrible losses (with prompt vet assistance...cant imagine having to wait so long for one to attend).

PLEASE dont blame yourself yourself, you did everything you could for Lemby. I can understand you not wanting to go through something as horrible as this again. We have come VERY close to throwing in the towel and selling up....Im pretty sure if we face another tragic loss we will be giving up. And you know, IMO it takes great strength to admit that your heart cant handle the losses and to just move on.

I would sit back for a while before making that decision though.

Sending you healing healing prayers xxx

I prayed and prayed and I was so hoping for a different ending for you and Lemby. As the others have said you did everything in your power to help but the vet just didn't come. This is not your fault, many of us wouldn't have been able to help him we are not vets.

Just keep close to Tango cos he will need you for comfort and leave all the decisions to later.

Hugs

Renee

I'm so very sorry that you lost your little Lemby - I had so hoped and prayed for a different outcome for him.

Those berries you found in the hay do sound suspicious, please keep them and show them to your vet when he (eventually!) comes to check on Tango - remember that if they are poisonous, then others feeding hay from that farm may need to be traced and warned of the danger.

Please share your grief with Tango and offer him comfort, he, too will be missing his friend.

Sending you and Tango ((((HUGS)))) at this tragic and very traumatic time.

I am so, so sorry that you and Lemby had to suffer through this. It is horrifying to watch your horse waste away and know there is nothing you could do. I went through this with our gelding just last week. He also apparently ate something toxic - but we still can't figure out what. It presented like red maple toxicity, but there are no red maples around our pasture and the one that we could find in the neighborhood had not started dropping its leaves yet. We are still clueless and I've been watching our other horses like a hawk. I hope you can figure out what happened. As others have said, don't make any hasty decisions right now in your grief. Give yourself some time to heal from this and then decide what to do. You were a good mama to Lemby.

Hugs to you,

Barbara

Gosh--if it was from something in the hay, I think it's important for the hay guy to know for the sake of other horses and whatever other animals are eating it. I'm not the suing kind, but certainly feel he needs to be aware of the issue, if that is the issue. Sure seems likely.

I bet you woke up this morning thinking, wishing it was all a nightmare. Hugs.

I am so sorry for your loss. I cant even being to imagine what you are going through. Prayers for your healing and your other horse to be ok.

Marsha

So VERY SORRY for your loss of Lemby.

You have gone through the hardest thing that animal lovers have to go through. What counts is you were there for Lemby through his last moments. You never gave up trying to help him. Try not to beat yourself up over this. You DID all you could do.

It sounds like it might be your hay. I would take some of your hay and make sure you take all the different kind of weeds you can find in it and weeds in your pasture to your county extension office to have it analized. Unfortunately sometimes we never know what was the cause.

Just to let you know sometimes University visits are cheaper than Equine vet visits. Because students are working on the horses. If this happens again just call them and tell them your situations and ask if they will see the horse and give you a diagnosis and how much it will cost.

I know you don't want another horse but you think Tango needs a buddy. Give yourself time to heal. Get Tango back to good health and if you find out what the problem was and take care of it, you might feel differently later.

Again VERY SORRY for what Lemby and you and husband had to got through.

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate how kind you've been to me. That stupid vet never showed up last night and he's not answering his phone. So we have no vet to come look at Tango. He is still doing the same. He will eat grass but no hay and no grain. I wonder why he'll eat the grass? I asked yesterday but didn't see a response. If they were poisoned, what would the vet do for them? Give them? etc...? Is there anything I can do since I can't get a vet to come here? Also the first vet that came out told my husband to give Lemby and Tango a penicillin shot every day for 5 days. Do you think he should continue to give Tango the shots?

Genea

I am so sorry for your loss!
default_no.gif
I am praying that your little Tango will be fine!

Big hugs to you!

I am so sorry for your loss, it's heartbreaking for sure (((HUGS)))

Maybe you should not feed Tango that hay again ? Why won't the vet come out, does he give you a reason ?

The hay looks and smells good. We went through it this morning and picked out any sticks and briars and just gave him some of the soft grassy part of the hay. Is that ok? He's not eating it though. The vet never gave a reason because we can't get a hold of him. He hasn't answered any of our calls.

Genea

I would continue to allow him to eat the grass as he needs somthing in his tummy. Why did the small animal vet prescribe penn.? Is he running a fever or show any signs of bacterial infection, and swellings in the throat or else where? Do you have any hay replacer pellets that you could water down, maybe offer him some apple or carrot as a treat. You might also go the members page and look for someone in your area to recommend another vet that will come out and knows minis or at least horses. How does his manure look, normal? Some times if they ate something bad the urine will be off color too, so see if you can watch him go. Good luck.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Praying for you
pray.gif

Latest posts

Back