Now they are both sick

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneaD

Reaction score
Called 3 vets this morning. Waiting on someone to call us back. I am so scared. Now Lemby is sick. Won't eat, swaying a little on his feet and sweating. He just looks miserable. Tango ate a little but still doesn't feel well. I can't believe how hard it is to get a hold of a vet. What could this be?

Genea

default_saludando.gif
i dont no have you just got in some new hay

but this sounds very sad and upsetting for you

hope all turns out well sending prays and a big hug for you

Got new hay about a week ago. From the same person we always get it from but it was from a new cutting.

default_saludando.gif
:salute hope thats what it is have you tryed or heard of giving horses straight red cordail

suringr about 50mls in there mouth works a treat..if thay have a upset belly that will work

no harm in trying i used it on my stallion who had diariaha and was acting colicy the next day he was fine

I have no idea what could be wrong so just throwing some things out there for you: What is growing in your yard? If you have leaves or acorns they can be poisonous. Poison plants and things like that should be treated with activated charcoal if that is the case. Right now I have stupid mushrooms growing in one of my fields and acorns in my barnyard that are driving me crazy. He could also have the grass staggers from your hay. Call your hay man and see if he sprayed it with anything. If it is alfalfa hay it could have blister beetles in it.

I'm so sorry about this and hope a vet will get there soon. I hate it when you can't even get a vet to return a call. Best wishes.

Took Lembys Temp and it is 101.1 He is breathing heavy, sweating and he just fell down. I'm scared to death and getting so angry that I can't get a hold of a vet. Is there anything I can do for him? Anyone?

Genea

THe vet can't get here until after 4. He said to get him up and into the building. How do we get him up without hurting him? We can't make him get up

Oh my! If you can't get him try to get him on his sternum and prop him up with hay or straw bales.

Sounds like something toxic that he ate. Call the vet back and tell them this is an emergency and see if they can come faster.

My husband and I just aren't strong enough to get him up. He won't try to stand at all and we are afraid we are going to hurt him by pulling and tugging. We finally got a hold of our dog vet and he is coming out. He does farm animals too but it's mostly dogs and cats. If he ate something toxic what can the vet do?

Genea

My cat/dog vet was the only 1 I could find last week when Eagle was very sick with ulcers. He was surprisingly prepared and very helpful so I will keep praying for you.

Thank you. We can use the prayers : ) I'm just so scared right now and feel so helpless.

Genea

You mentioned in your other post that he was picking up the falling leaves. What kind of leaves are they?

After reading through everything, I would tend to think either poisoning from the leaves or hypocalcemia. Does he look like he has "hiccups"?

You mentioned in your other post that he was picking up the falling leaves. What kind of leaves are they?

After reading through everything, I would tend to think either poisoning from the leaves or hypocalcemia. Does he look like he has "hiccups"?

[/quot

No Hiccups that i've noticed. The trees are ash trees. My vet said they wouldn't hurt them so I never worried about it. They've always ate the leaves from those trees in the fall.

Genea

Not sure but once one of my guys ate something bad and he was staggering and falling down, the vet tubed him with something, it was so many years ago, back in the 1980's that I don't recall what it was. But, it could be a virus or something too, it will take a vet to diagnose him. Good luck, hope the vet gets there soon.

Probably not whats happening but have you checked his feet for temperature? Check another horse first to see if there is a noticable difference. Check the back hooves first and then check the front hoves, are they noticably warmer? If he is having a laminitis or founder episode then he will not want to get up because his feet are in extreeme pain. Like I said before probably not the problem, but doesnt hurt to check. Hope he feels better soon.

I'm sending up some prayers for your two minis. I'm thinking the leaves could still be the problem. I would keep trying to get him sternal and propped up as someone else suggested. They can endure quite a bit of being pulled and dragged as evidenced by many broodmares that have to be"manhandled" in order to get their foals out. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back