Now they are both sick

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sending up some prayers for your two minis. I'm thinking the leaves could still be the problem. I would keep trying to get him sternal and propped up as someone else suggested. They can endure quite a bit of being pulled and dragged as evidenced by many broodmares that have to be"manhandled" in order to get their foals out. Good luck and please keep us posted.
The vet came and gave him a shot of penicillin and banamine. I don't think he knows what's wrong with Lemby. He's not doing good at all. He has been down all day. The vet said as long as he isn't rolling then leave him down because he is in no condition to stand. He started groaning and kicking his legs and shaking. My husband got him calmed down but I don't think he's going to make it. I can't stand watching him like this. I don't know what to do. Tango still won't eat his hay or grain but he'll come in the yard and eat grass, so we've been letting him do that. If your horse has been poisoned what do you do for them?

OMG! Is the equine vet still coming after 4? I hope so. Do you have any mineral oil? Can you try to syringe it into his mouth? Pleas try to keep him on his sternum with the hay bales or straw bales. You can try to get him up if needed buy one person pulling his neck straight out with a lead and another person pulling his tail to the side and then up, but if he is in the sternum position and it's not raining I would leave him outside in the paddock. If he is on his side you may need to turn him every two hours. If he's not drinking the vet may need to hydrate him. If he does ask the vet to leave you some fluids to give sub Q, (under the skin), every hour or so if they don't do IV. This doesn't sound good, and I don't want to worry you any more then you already are, so I hope you can get an equine vet out soon.

Where are you located, what state?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO he needs to get up, by some type of brace or something. I think it must be the leaves too. This is something major and what the vet did wasn't enough. Blood work needs to be run first of all. I think thats the only way you going to be able to determine what exactly needs to be treated for. I would get a second opinion and I know your having a hard time getting ahold of your vet, but if you can afford it you may have to get him to a university. Don't worry about hurting him if you are picking him up. You are trying to save his life he will get over it if he makes it.

I pray that everything comes out all right but something needs to be done now.

Your profile doesn't say where you are located, some of us are more then willing to help you, becuase you need it. I'm in Maryland, but willing to help if I can and not too far. I'm sure there are others. I'm hoping your equine vet gets there soon or you can get him up. If you can't at least turn him. While waiting try the mineral oil or metamucil, something to coat his tummy and digestrive tract. Maybe Dr. Taylor will log on to help. I had a horse go down for over a week and with supportive care, straw bales and turning we were Ok. But the vet is your best bet.

All I know is to send you prayers.
default_pray.gif
:pray

Check for nightshade too. I cant remember when it grows but I am thinking someones horse got it this time of year a couple years ago.

Clinical signs for nightshade

Clinical signs vary with irritant effect caused by the intact glycoalkaloid or saponin, and the nervous effects of the alkaloid. Irritant effects include hypersalivation, anorexia, severe gastrointestinal disturbances, with diarrhea that is often early and hemorrhagic. The nervous effects include apathy, drowsiness, depression, confusion, progressive muscular weakness, numbness, dilated pupils, trembling, labored breathing, nasal discharge, rapid heartbeat, weak pulse, bradycardia, central nervous system depression, and incoordination, often accompanied by paralysis of the rear legs. Coma may occur without other nervous signs. High doses may cause intestinal stasis and constipation. Hemolysis and anemia, possibly a result of saponins, have been reported, with renal failure in severe cases. Terminal signs include unconsciousness, shock, paralysis, coma, circulatory and respiratory depression, and death. The course varies from sudden death to 3-4 days of illness which may terminate in death or recovery. in less acutely poisoned animals, there may be yellow discoloration of the skin in unpigmented areas, weakness, incoordination, tremors of the rear legs, anemia, rapid heart rate and bloat.

I know some tube charcoal down them to absorb toxicities.

Did the vet pull a blood sample? you really need to pull blood to see what is happening.

Also check for epm, west nile etc.

Sending prayers

I just got in from feeding my guys, No news? I hope all is not lost! I'm so worried.

Please people put where you live in your profile so others can help you in your time of need. Hopfully we will hear something soon, I'm so worried! Got to go make buscuits for dinner, I'll check back in a few.

We finally got a hold of an equine vet and he is coming but it's been over 2 hours since we called him. I hope he gets here soon. I'm in Southwest Va. I live about 7 miles from Big Stone Gap. Va. We tried again to get him to stand and we finally got him up but couldn't hold him and he went back down. He's bad and I'm afraid he's going to die. I can't afford the University. Things have been rough for us like everyone else and money is tight. I've got no one here to help me turn him and stuff like that after my husband goes back to work. I don't know what to do. He hasn't drank anything today or eaten

We finally got a hold of an equine vet and he is coming but it's been over 2 hours since we called him. I hope he gets here soon. I'm in Southwest Va. I live about 7 miles from Big Stone Gap. Va. We tried again to get him to stand and we finally got him up but couldn't hold him and he went back down. He's bad and I'm afraid he's going to die. I can't afford the University. Things have been rough for us like everyone else and money is tight. I've got no one here to help me turn him and stuff like that after my husband goes back to work. I don't know what to do. He hasn't drank anything today or eaten
Vet still isn't here. My husband just called him and he's not even on his way yet. Oh my god, my baby's gonna die out there like that. I can't take this anymore

Oh NO I feel your pain, is there anyone in South West Va. that can help her? Hoping the vet gets there soon, can you bed him down where he is laying and get him at least on his sternmum and prop him up. if you need to turn him attach ropes to his pasterns on the down side and get two people to each pull on a rope and turn him over, he needs to be turned to prevent sores, and to be on his sternum to breath and not to damage his lungs.

Thank you for keeping us posted as I know I'm not the only one worried. Wish you were closer I could come help, but pleas don't feel bad about not having enough money to take him to university, I'm in the same boat. This economy is the pits.

Even though there may not be any miniature horse people nearby, what about large horse people? We all love equines, no matter the size. Maybe someone nearby can help you - even just to give you moral support. Sending continuous prayers for you and your babies!
default_pray.gif

I'm so very sorry this is happening to you - it does sound like some kind of poisoning. Really hope your vet gets there soon, there is nothing worse than having to watch a special anmial suffering and not being able to do anything for him.

I'm sending prayers and also hoping that there is a forum member near enough to get to you to help you both emotionally and phsically.

Just wish we could do something!

I want to thank you all for you help. It means so much to me. Lemby just passed away. I'm devastated. My heart is breaking right now. I feel like it's my fault because I couldn't do anything for him while waiting on a vet to come. I don't know what we are going to do about Tango. I don't want another horse and he will be so lonely without Lemby. I know they aren't suppose to be alone.

I am so sorry, I hope the vet can do something for Tango.

What a terrible day for you. Now is not the time to decide yes or no to another horse, give yourself some time to heal before you decide one way or the other.

I just saw this thread and am simply astounded. You certainly did the best you could and have no reason to blame yourself for anything. I can imagine your heartbrake. Mother Marija always says that when we love we open ourselves to hurt. But it is better to love and get hurt than never to love.

Sending you lots of hugs and asking God to comfort you.

Latest posts

Back