New Video page 32! - Happy Appy Acres

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 girls sitting at day 320 today. The Donkey Lily is huge! Smile has a good start to an udder. Everyone has white milk. I am testing the ph and will update anything that is looking good. I have everyone packed into the barn right now. The weather is terrible with snow, hail, freezing rain and high winds and flooding so I can't use part of my barn so some are doubled up in the foaling stalls.

Ph is still sitting around the 7.8 mark. Only really difference is that Lily's milk is sticky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update on your girls! I've been checking in almost every night to see how all the mares are doing!!
default_yes.gif
Sorry your weather there is so bad, sounds like you are getting all the nasty stuff and trying to accomedate all your girls so they are comfy! But happy that you were able to bring them all in out of the weather!!!!!!! Good Luck and happy safe foaling!!!!!!! I will be watching hoping to catch a birth of a sweet little foal!!!!!

Sticky milk sounds hopeful - hope your weather improves quickly!

Everyone quietly grazing their stalls. Hope your weather improves quickly, as everyone says.

Keep us posted!

Well they are finally back out today. The sun is shining for now. We are getting another snow storm tonight and into tomorrow though. Not looking forward to that.

Momma donkey (can't remember her name -- old mind -- LOL) is laying sternally and quiet, and it's hard to see the other lady as she is 'light' against the light colored bedding, but she's also quietly laying down.

So glad the sun came out for you and you had a pleasant day. Hoping the storm wasn't too bad for you. Keep us posted.

And please forgive my loss of memory of names! So many to keep track of!
default_whistling.gif

Well the sun left again! We had another snow storm last night
default_sad.png
This morning Lily's (the donk) belly isn't as wide and it was last night. Still almost no udder. I have an appointment to get everyone Ultra sounded on Tuesday but many people on the Marestare group have advised me not to do that. Saying that if they are in foal that it might cause a premature foaling so I will be canceling that appointment I think. So I'm back to waiting and watching and wondering if they are in foal at all. So far only 1 mare out of the 6 has had a heat and that was last month.

I always had my mares ultrasounded 3 times during pregnancy -- the first to determine pregnancy, and then 2 more times during the pregnancy to monitor grow and development. I never had a premature delivery or any problems, and did it for years -- until my economics changed and my equine vet moved away.

So, I don't really agree, but you have to do what makes you feel comfortable. We're here to watch and wait with you!

I have great admiration for all those sensible folks who pregnancy test/US/WeeFoal/milk test etc and get themselves so well organised. Me? I'm so very lacking in these things - lazy!! LOL!!

Decide when I want foals to be born, cover mares at the appropriate time, dont re-cover if I dont want later foals, and then just wait!! Luckily mine can munch grass all year round, so that together with special licks is all they need unless we have heavy snow and then they get ad lib big round bales put out for them. Couple of months from foaling time the mares that have been covered are usually moved to their own pasture where they are watched more closely for end of pregnancy signs. A month before foaling dates (or as soon as there is any udder development if this comes first) they are stabled at nights and a balancer feed is given - remember my girls are all overweight! - and nightly checks start. I know by this time whether they are in foal or not obviously, and as they progress the night time visits are increased until we are just sitting there waiting for the new baby to arrive.

So, as I said, it's the lazy way of doing things, playing the waiting game! If the mare is pregnant she will eventually produce her baby, nature is funny like that! Just read the signs, be ultra observant and dont just THINK she might foal tonight/tomorrow etc., BE THERE with her just in case!!

Sorry Tina, got a bit carried away as usual! I think you must do exactly what makes you happy, like Diane says, anyway I cannot think that any tests done would cause a problem - they wouldn't be allowed if they caused damage in any way would they?

The vet that would be doing the US was the vet that was here with the minis donkey that passed. He could only get his arm up to mid way between wrist and elbow. Two the girls would we sitting at day 325 that day with little udder development at this time. Lily (donkey) is large without much in the way of udder also. Smile, well who knows if she is in foal but she hasn't' come into heat since arriving at my house and has a small udder. Last we have Sugar. She wasn't bred by me but last year she wasn't either and gave me a bouncing baby colt. My stud left on June 8th so if she was in foal she would be due around the first of May. She shouldn't have an udder start for another 2 weeks, I'd guess going by her history. I'm just so scared of doing something to induce labour and the loss of a foal.

She said is wasn't as clear to do (for results), but my vet did an external US on my mare; she could determine yes or no but not how far along (we had a no on the mare we did). [she's a small vet, but neither of us felt comfortable doing an internal.]

Tonight there will be 2 short on the cams. Smile and Mabes will be staying outside tonight. I want to leave the large stalls full tonight. Last night I found Diamond really kicking at her belly so I want to give her lots of space. Smiles seemed the farthest away this morning so if she is the same tonight She will stay with Mabes in the mares paddock.

Update!

The Donkey, Lily has the foal moved into position, more forward from centre. Still not much of an udder.

Both Diamond and Ellie are sitting at day 323 today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trouble with Lily!

Just cleaned her stall and she had 2 log type poops. She normally poops balls like horses. She is drinking but is agitated. Lots of tail action. She just plain isn't herself. I am watching for any signs of impacted colic. Please note the time and location of any poop that you might see happen. I am praying that she isn't going the way of her sister.

Called the vet. She said it could be foal moving, labour or colic starting. Now I'm really freaking! I already call into work to get them to fill my shift tomorrow, I sent the hubby to a friends for banimine, I ended up using everything I had for Daisy. My vet told me to give it as it wont hurt her at this point for any of the problems that it could be. She hasn't been happy tonight, lots of ear action, yawning and she isn't eating anything really. She has been drinking good though. And she wanted a lot of attention when I was out cleaning the stalls earlier.

Latest posts

Back