New Video page 32! - Happy Appy Acres

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
I posted this on the general forum under the thread there but though I should post here too. I have a couple of mares that I bought bred and one mare that I didn't breed but she may be in foal. Sugar always finds a way, she loves being a mom. I have sold the stallion so there shouldn't be any more foals for her! None of them have been tested by blood test because the cost is just too high ($175+vet call) and my vet wont US so I will wait and see how it goes. The mares that I bought bred came with foals at their side. I didn't know at the time they were rebred until I paid for them. That would of changed my mine on the purchase. I really didn't want any more foals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do remember seeing you post pictures of your mares when you got them along with their foals! What a surprise that they were in foal again! Will you have your cams up this year?? I will pray for you to have beautiful healthy foals!!!

I hope all goes well for you Tina - keep us posted as they progress.
default_yes.gif

Well, congratulations, although I know you didn't know they were rebred. We'll be watching anxiously with you, and look forward to watching them progress until they give you healthy babies on the ground in the smoothest way with no complications!!
default_pray.gif

I just reread my post and it sound as if I had no control over my stallion! lol Not the case. He had a separate pen that was at least 2.5 feet from any other horse. I still don't know if Sugar is in foal because she has silent heats so I never knew when to breed her. I sold the stallion because I didn't want any more foals but Sugar seems to be getting bigger. I will have to wait and see how it goes. She could just be faking because she loves being in foal.

I reread your post, and I'm not getting that you didn't have control of the stallion. Didn't cross my mind at all! You are a good horsey momma, as we all know, so no criticism here!

We'll all be anxiously awaiting your updates so we see how many will be arriving!!

No problem with what you wrote from me either! We follow the 'wait and see' method here as well - think we have 4 foaling this year, pretty sure about three, almost sure about the 4th, there may be a 5th but doubt it. We only covered each mare for the one season as we wanted May foalings, but as the 5th mare is not easy to get in foal we covered her for her return season just to give her a second chance as she missed on the first one. According to her she returned again, but according to the stallion in his daily trips to walk alongside her paddock fencing, he had no interest in her, so we wait and see!! As all our girls are living out on grass and - well lets be honest - they are fat, it is not easy to see any possible changes in this 5th mare yet - just waiting patiently now for May for her to begin showing any changes in her udder!!
default_yes.gif

Well I just picked up the 2 new donkeys that I am adding to my group. Once we had them loaded on the trailer the old owner told us that the jack had gotten out. She thinks only once around July 19. They haven't been confirmed in foal yet. I had just taken them off the trailer in this picture so halters were still on and they were just taking in the new surroundings.

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

Here are a couple shots from inside the barn last night. We had another terrible storm roll through, high winds and snow. One bank of my stalls had ice on the rubber mats that I couldn't get off from the last freezing rain/rain storm that we had. There was a little flooding and the water seeped in on one side of the barn. Everyone fit and got along so all was good. They started in the barn with blankets but once it warmed up in there the blankets came off.

Jan 19, 2013 barn shots 011.JPG

Jan 19, 2013 barn shots 017.JPG

What cute donkeys Tina! They are adorable!

I remember your two lovely mares and their foals from last yr ? I know it's probably hard with your horrible weather ATM, prayers going out to everyone that's been affected by that horrible cold.

Can we see piccies of the mummy's to be? And pics of the two little foal from last yr? I remember they were gorgeous! Good luck with foaling. Will you set up the cameras again?
default_smile.png

I just love your two little donkeys - soooooooooooooooooo very cute!

Ok so the possible line up for me is as follows.

Sugar (I think she is faking it, fingers crossed)

Mabes (getting bigger - did not present to stallion)

Diamond (bought bred back)

Ellie (bought bred back)

Smile (Rescue so really no idea if she is in foal)

Lilly (July 19 exposed to spotted Jack)

Daisy (July 19 exposed to spotted jack)

If any are in foal they will be due starting April to July. The only reason that I included Sugar and Mabes is that if one somehow got in foal than the other might be also. Neither was ever presented to the stallion, I wasn't breeding anyone, but sugar is behaving line she is in foal.

Also if it turns out anyone is in foal the marestare cams will be up and running! I love marestare!

sugar.JPG

Jan 23, 2014 006.JPG

Jan 23, 2014 010.JPG

Jan 23, 2014 001.JPG

Jan 23, 2014 004.JPG

donkey hooves 022.JPG

donkey hooves 023.JPG

Very exciting! I'm watching to see -- crossing all fingers and frozen toes that you have a wonderful and successful foaling year!

I have a question for the donkey breeders. The one jenny is 7 months today and I am feeling movement for sure! isn't a little early considering that she has 5 months to go? The lady I rescued them from said the Jack only got in on July 19th. Do you think she could of missed a previous date?

It's quite possible - especially if she had a "helper"...

I once had someone put my stallion in the wrong paddock with a couple of mares... She "realized" she'd put him in the wrong paddock later, and put him back w/o letting me know. I didn't know until AFTER they started showing being in foal and I had them both checked. Confirmed pregnant via palpation, watched and delivered very nice, healthy babies that though not planned for, sold nicely later (1 to my helper, LOL. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?)...

I have also now heard of stallions and jacks breeding thru solid fences/walls where there were openings that turned out to be just large enough (that surprises me, but...).

Is a donkey's gestation period the same length as a mare's?

A donkey carries for 12 months. Well as my vet wont palpitate or US I guess I will keep waiting and checking. The other donkey is not near as big as the first so who really knows!

Latest posts

Back