NEED HELP ASAP!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry to hear about your foal!
default_no.gif
It is never easy.....that's for sure. I am sending good thoughts you way for Ruby. I hope she has a complete recovery with no lasting damage.

Hi guys,

Dr George just left, he said the placenta is hard he did some stuff in a bottle with a tube, she is so swollen I feel so bad for my girl. But she didnt move an inch for him sticking his arm up there feeling around. He didnt feel any tears, and something else that was good too.

She just got more Banamine, and a penicillin and another shot I forgot the other shot. She has to get the penicillin and banamine again tonight, and then in the am + the other shot i cant remember what it is. We got her knoted up to help with gravity. I am hoping this doesnt lead to founder, and or worse things. Dr George said he could feel her bowels, but the poor girl is so sore and swollen
default_sad.png
I will never be so happy as for a horse to poop.

So please keep those prayers coming they really are working because shes still here right now.

I feel so badly for you AND your little mare......
default_sad.png
The other shot is likely oxytocin which is a drug that makes your girl's uterus contract to help push the placenta out. It also happens to encourage milk production, so you may want to make sure her bag doesn't get so tight that it hurts. Just one squirt from each teat will take some pressure away. Again, my thoughts are with you all.......

I just read this and that is so sad as I just got home. I would truck her to Dover which I think would be closer to you than Tufts. Both places could help you out. I hope by now you've found a Vet closer to help you. Please let us know the outcome and I will say a prayer for your mare.

Hugs,

Joyce from CT

Just read the Vet got there as I hadn't finished reading the thread before I answered just a bit ago.

Will say prayers now for your mare and you catch up on sleep etc.

Again, I'm sorry,

Joyce

Just a small update,

Shes been resting, I checked her hind end, and the swelling seems to have come down slightly. She just got her second does of Banamine, and her shot of penicillin.

Shes still eating hay, has eaten a few bites of grain which is to be expected from all this. I have her on the barn cam, shes wearing her cooler, since it covers everything I didnt want to put anything around that area to rub on her.

things are just moving slower than i want, but you cant make life speed up it is what it is, and the vets coming out tomorrow to flush and check her again. Told me this could be atleast a week ordeal for her. I dont care whatever it takes, and what ever miss ruby needs shes got it. We retied up everything for graitiy to work its course this morning with dr george and its now hanging down a lot more than it was which is a good sign.

To answer everyones questions, yes the foal was coming out sitting dog style, My husband and are are both sore from all of this, I may have to see a doctor to find out whats wrong with my leg I havent a clue what I did, but sharp almost to tears pain in my left leg from the groin area to the outside of the knee oh my word, I got stuck sitting in the computer desk chair but couldnt move. But right now my focus is Ruby and I can attend to me later.

We let "Snow Angel" stay with her this morning for a few hours, while I was cleaning the straw out, and putting fresh straw back in, I was watching ruby nuzzle her baby, did a bit of cleaning her off and understood she was gone, what a awesome momma she would have been for her first. I just wanted her to know what the last 11 months had been for.

I forgot to say "Bingo" on the forum was an ANGEL to, because she is the one that called tammie for me while I was trying to go down the list of vet numbers for help. I had an 8x11 piece of paper with both sides covered in numbers of clinics and vets. I would not wish what happend to us on ANY one, I just want people and myself to learn from it.

Once the ground warms up I will pick the best spot to lay her down.

I will for sure keep the updates coming, because this prayer network we are so lucky to have here really does work!

-Kris

Just an added thought for you - a big Andalusian mare across the road from us foaled a few weeks ago and was not passing the placenta (no trauma in foaling, this is apparently her pattern). The vet came and spent close to an hour I'd guess flushing her and working it out, this about 10-12 hours post birth. She did finally drop the last of it but after being pretty much continually flushed with what I think was an iodine solution for a good while. I've not had that issue before, so don't know whether that is the normal protocol. Oxytocin in her case had not done much of anything. The few I've had who retained it were resolved pretty quickly with oxytocin.

Jan

I'm so sorry for you , your family and your mare what a horrible time

praying your mare is feeling better soon

wonderful people on this forum
default_aktion033.gif

just wonderful

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read this as I have not been on much lately. I am so sorry about your foal. I will pray

that Ruby makes a full recovery. Give her a big hug for me. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

Ruby needs you in good health and so does your hubby.

Sincerely,

Freida

Silver Ridge Minis

Prayers for Ruby. I sure hope she pulls through. I tried to call u about 30 min or less after u posted but went to voicemail. So glad u did find a vet to help. Best of luck with Ruby.

Sorry Kris, Prayers for Ruby to have a quick recovery. Sorry about your snow angel. I am truely sorry you went through this.

hope you have time soon to post an update on your girl! hope she is feeling better this morning.

Just read the posts here- I am SO sorry for your loss and hope your little mare will be ok!!! Hugs to you- and what a wonderful bunch of folks who jumped in to help!! Keep us posted- and hope you are ok too!

Latest posts

Back