NEED HELP ASAP!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_no.gif
I am soooo sorry.... my prayers are with you and Ruby!!!
default_no.gif

[SIZE=12pt]I am just sick for you, I pray everything will be Ok for your Ruby.[/SIZE]

My heart just breaks for you and anyone having to deal with this frightful situation. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your girl
default_pray.gif

Joy

The thing is, is it just hiplock, or is there a hind foot forward? Rotating the foal will often/usually free a hiplock, but will have no effect at all if there is a hind foot forward. I speak from experience. I am so thankful that my vet was available to come immediately, and even the 20 minutes it took for her to get here from town seemed like an eternity.

I am so sorry you are having this difficulty, and can only pray that you can find a vet to come soon, or one you can haul to.

Kris, do you have lube to use now if you are trying to turn the foal?

Has anyone here ever had to cut up their own foal, for lack of a vet? Having seen my vet do it, I believe I would now attempt that as a last ditch effort if I had no veterinarian to help--assuming of course it was like last time, with the foal half out--not talking one where the foal is still inside & the surgical wire is needed for cutting.

FRED THANK YOU! I have DR George coming out from deerfield I have about 20 phone numbers of vets and clincs I have in the area, and hes the ONLY one on his way!

We gave Ruby Banimane(sp) sorry my nervs are shot and all gone. Shes resting right this second and dr george should be here in around 20 mins now.

I also have tammy from c-spots on her way and her husband Frank BOTH angels!

Thanks for everyone who called to help. from what we can see of the baby he/she was a beautiful bay overo. BIG Blaze, front socks and HUGE belly white.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
I am soaked, with everything, oils, water, birth. And a HUGE thank you to my Husband and Mom for all there help, helping me and Ruby.

Once the vet leaves I will give a update on everything.

Kris

Yes we did get a hind hoof in the way, I was able to get it back. we have twisted, and turned, I cannot push the foal back even a 1/2 inch because its stuck so bad, this is now going on 4 hours of trying to twist and turn, lube and feel around. I have 3 adults here trying to help me, and we were getting no where quick. Only to talk to vet after vet telling me to lube the foal up, and push it back in up to the shoulders. Asking me if I was sure i saw front legs. the foal was out just past the rib cage. and thats where its stuck.

Thanks for all the help and advice

Hi everyone,

PLEASE KEEP the Prayers coming for Ruby!! We really need them. The vet was able to get the foal out. He had just got here when she started going into shock.

We got her on IV fluids, and he gave her more Banamine, PPG and Gimocin. The placenta still hasnt come out yet, he will be back at 10am to wash her out. but the next few hours are the most critical that she doesnt pass away of shock.

She is up, and walking okay. eating and drinking. But He told me that some can look just like this and the next morning they are gone.

This was a definate learning experence, and THANK GOD for my family, and THIS forum FAMILY! Thank you ESPICALLY TAMMY and FRANK from C-Spots for driving over and HOUR away to get here!

Just for all of you it was a FILLY and she WAS JUST beautiful. When the doctor got here it started to snow out, the same thing happened when my dad passed. So she is rightfully named "Snow Angel"

-Kris

I hope your mare will be ok. What a horrible thing to go threw without being able to get a vet when you

needed one so badly.. You must be shaking yet.. So sorry..

Im so sorry about your foal and the mare, I will keep her in my prayers for a full and speedy recovery, Please keep us updated on how she is doing,

I am just so sorry about your foal and am praying that the mare comes thru this quickly and fully.
default_wub.png

It is such a heartbreaking experience. People without horses cannot fathom the depth of feeling we have about these situations. They don't understand the relationship. Here, we sincerely cry with you.

Having had to assist with dystocias over many years, can relate to the fear and frustration you feel. It is harder to push them back the further they come out as the uterus is closing from behind with contractions, that forward motion thing.

As to the cutting wire, wow -- for anyone not familiar -- (no vet around, etc) that stuff must be used with extreme care inside. If you do not have the "carrier" device, you run a huge risk of damage to the mare's tissue, especially at the cervix. It is not for the inexperienced. That said, if it was the absolute last alternative -- a person with a good deal of experience in delivery and anatomy might try it. Without the carrier, you need to use a vaginal sleeve to protect the mare. Most do not keep this wire on hand and it isn't available many places. Probably a good thing!

Please update us on your mare during the next couple of days. I'm certain you are watching her close.

I was thinking maybe there was a hind foot in the way and that is why I erased all of my post trying to help as I am not a vet and certainly didn't want to give wrong advice without being there to know exactly what was happening.

I thank God that there was a vet willing to come and help you and certainly God Bless Tammy and Frank whom I feel are angels on earth.

Sleep tight little one. May you run in green pastures now and may your mama heal up quickly.

(HUGS) to you Kris and everyone that had to experience such a terrible tragedy. I have been through this and completely understand how you feel.

default_sad.png
default_no.gif
default_sad.png

I am so very sorry for your loss and praying hard for your mare. I can't believe how this forum family comes through when needed!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Know that you and your horses are being thought of in every corner of the country.

Leia

Im so sorry for what you have gone through. We had a hip lock a couple years ago. The foal was alive but we couldnt get him out quick enough. He also had a back leg up forward and had the cord twisted around his middle which made even less room.

Sending prayers for your mare

Kay

Thank you all for the kind words and prayers.

what an abosulte nightmare its been.

Small update on Ruby, She is still here this morning, eating and drinking water. The Placenta still hasnt passed. I already called Dr. George who was just a great guy, very professional. and now our Permanant new vet after all of this.

There was a lady dr I was speaking to when I was talking to Lisa, that Kept telling me shes on her way, she kept calling every ten minutes or so saying "shes on her way" when I got her final call I said where the heck are you? to be told she hadnt even left yet almost 30 mins later. Trying to get a vet from 9:30pm and couldnt get one out until after 1 am is just awful. I cant even fathom this in my head right now, we have a listing of vets for NH people, only to find half are retired. or just wont service the area.

I would say this really would have been worse on me had I not owned horses for the last 12 years. I knew the risk, you have to know the risk doing things like this. But it still hurts. I have gotten around 3 hours of sleep, huge bags under my eyes. And its worth every minute of no sleep.

HUGS back to everyone who doesnt know me, who has offer to help someone they hardly know. Sometimes there is no better family then horse family. Who knows what you are going thru.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I am so sorry for your loss and stress for Ruby! I sure hope she will be ok...

Sending (((HUGS))) and prayer your way...

Let us know how Ruby is doing please...

So very sorry for your loss, and I pray your mare will be ok.......I am so glad you found a vet to come out.....what a nightmare for you....I know waiting on my vet for the 20-30 minutes it usually takes to get here in an emergency is so stressful.....so I can just imagine what you where dealing with....{{{HUGS}}}

Again I am so sorry.
default_no.gif

Ohhhh I am so sorry. This is such a horrid thing for both of you to have gone through. It is the most terrible, out of control feeling to call a vet and have no one come to help you. We had it once for a colic episode in a two week foal. What a horrible, horrible feeling. I am sorry.

Kris, I am sorry this happened but I am glad you found Dr George. He has saved two of my driving horses in the past and I have just switched to him from Wadleigh Falls where he used to be. I do not switch vets lightly but I know he has the experience with minis from working with the vet that used to do Rolling Ridge. It is REALLY hard to find a vet in this area that does minis and the other vet I use as a backup does not do obstetrics. Its like the area you are in is a black hole for vets and I have several clients in your area that have had problems finding a vet and have lost horses due to this. Hope your mare continues to improve and I am sorry for your loss. PS if you need anything pm me and I will give you my # I am only about 45 min away. Linda

So SORRY to hear of this HORRENDOUS experience!

I learned the hard way a good vet is worth every $$$, as is a trailer.

I love Dr George!!

Such a great guy! You have found a wonderful vet, sorry it was under such awful circumstances.

You must be heartbroken, I pray Ruby will pull through.

So glad you found a vet to come help you! Hope your mare will be ok.

If one or both back feet were up against the mares' pelvis, that's a sitting dog position and I've not had any luck rotating the foal or pushing the feet back (not enough physical strength) to get them free. It's required vet assistance to get those foals out.

If the head is out, you can do a fetotomy with a knife and remove the head. Then push the foal back in to reposition and get it out. My vet did one here last week. I've found from experience, that if the head is out, you can NOT push the foal back in to reposition! Unfortunately.....

((((Hugs)))) to you.

Latest posts

Back