Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
I am very delighted to have been able to attend Nationals again this year, am a small farm and do not know many of the "big guns" in the industry but had the opportunity to talk with a few this year and found them to be very open, friendly, nice and not reserved all all like I might expect at that level.

It was a very busy week spent with good friends, watching and learning from my trainer Sarah and trying to lend a hand where I could.

So here are some observations good and bad and neither:

For the most part you could not find a friendlier more helpful group of people! Started up some conversations, me in the stands, exhibitors at ease in the ring waiting for placings...meet some very nice people and saw some beautiful horses, got to learn a bit about them too (people and horses!).

The B division, esp 36 to 38, was almost exclusively made up of Shetlands, hardly a mini to be seen...makes me sad that only one type is represented in the ring in that division.

Most Pleasure classes had at least one Park horse, always won though out of type...on the flip side some brave folks did show in Park class....would love to see 20 horses in that class...would be something to see!!

Lots of Pleasure horses dropping into country I assume because of the Park horses in Pleasure.

To my eyes the quality of horse in Western country pleasure went way up this year with some nice level, relaxed movers that still could cover some ground, more CDE type movement....Nice! Some country pleasure horses in there too but for the most part the higher headed country types did not place or did not place high...kudos to the judges there!

Classes were huge and the quality amazing both in the miniature horse type and pony type. Judging was all over the place though with some horses placing first under one judge and getting the gate under another....too many in the class making it hard for all to be judged equally??? Driving classes were a bit scarey at times, so many horses in the ring at once!!

A disturbing observation in halter...lets see if anyone else had the same experiance. I saw a horse with bad stifles, a horse that toed out very badly and a horse with the worst set of buck and bowed knees I have ever seen all recieve national titles. Are judges not interested in whole horse conformation? Only looking for a pretty picture??

Stall areas were well done, nice relaxing atmosphere even with a concert put on down the row a bit I believe it was Friday night??

Was not there for youth, Ammy or Futurity so can not comment on those.

Any constructive, interesting observations from others??

Last edited by a moderator:
The quality of horses keeps improving every year. There were some great horses that got the gate. The judges earned their money everyday.

The exhibitors really complimented each other on having good horses.

I believe the positive atmosphere at AMHR Nationals far out weighs any negatives.

Biggest compliant however was the hardness of the arena and warmup arena.

I have to agree with the competition. From what I saw on camera, there were some excellent horses in every division that didn't get a ribbon!

I agree that the arena, from a driving perspective, was very hard. But I'm sure it's difficult to get it just right for a driving mini. I do wish that some of the other arenas were watered periodically. People working loose horses really raised some dust at times.

Yes, lots of Shetlands in the B division driving. Country Pleasure is getting harder and harder with the influx of Shetlands and former Pleasure horses. But that's the way the game is played. I do wish they would have split classes more. Showing with 35 driving horses in the arena can be challenging - especially when they tell you to stay on the rail
default_wacko.png

I also feel that no one halter trainer cleaned up in the open classes. At least in those that I watched. There were some gorgeous horses there!

The competition was tough, and remember there were 200 more horses this year. Toughens it even more. Nope, I didn't agree with every placing, but I am not the one being paid for my opinion. Yes, there are some politics in horse shows, but do you know anything that doesn't have some politicking going on? Sorry you had a bad show, but didn't you have fun seeing people you only see maybe once a year, and didn't you meet and make new friends?

Tough competition was everywhere. Many placed where they should and some maybe did not, but those of us in the stands and those of us in the ring with other entries cannot see other horses as the judges see them. Do I think my horses placed as high as they should have? I'd be lying if I said yes. Everyone thinks their horses are the best. I know mine could not compete with the champions this year. They were just not well enough prepared. I did enjoy visiting, however, and all the other aspects of the show. I got to drool over some wonderful horses. I also got a chance to see what we will need to do to be honestly competative next year. We talked all the way home about the changes we need to make. As for Erica. Not only were her horses the best that they could be--I think she was also. Not once did I see her in the ring that her clothes weren't neat and proper, her shoes/boots clean as could be and her hair as neatly done as possible. And she always had the finishing touch--her smile. So many could learn a lot from just watching her. I know we need to work much harder to be at her level. I just need to keep remembering the old saying--If you continue to do what you have always done, you will continue to get what you have always gotten.

This year is over so on to next year.

Angie

Tough competition was everywhere. Many placed where they should and some maybe did not, but those of us in the stands and those of us in the ring with other entries cannot see other horses as the judges see them.
That is something to remember. I have been center ring at Nationals and let me tell you the view is totally different in there compared to the stands or even the gate and especially the live feed

Every show has those who someone felt deserved to win and someone didnt - all part of the show almost everyone goes thinking they should win
default_wink.png

I sincerly apologize if I gave anyone the impression I was unhappy with how my horse did! Actually I am delighted. I showed him myself in Breeder owned and exhibited by, I do not show much...makes me nervous and I had a dream the night before I left for Tulsa that I tripped and fell and my horse was running all around the arena loose with people yelling and chasing him!!! I did not fall down! He did not get loose! He knew I was nervous though and did not show well for me...had to laugh, esp when Roger Eitel gave me such a pitiful look and the photographer came up after the class and admonished my horse for not giving his momma ears!!
default_yes.gif

I am in fact delighted that despite my poor performance the judges saw what I had and we managed a top ten!! He also gave a stunning performance in Liberty and though he did not place one judge did have him at 9th...out of 57 horses I think that is pretty darn good!! (and I have the video to prove it!!
default_smile.png
)

What I was attempting to do with my origional post is something we always do after the state 4H miniature horse show here, talk about what was good, what was not so good (and I don't mean people bashing) and what ideas do we have to make it even better next year?

By the way I absolutely love the Flanders crew...very nice people even after a long week of videoing. Also can't wait til my next paycheck so I can go order some photos from Washburn! And our announcer...may he return every year forever...and the music!!

Stormy,

I think maybe the last two posters got your post confused with the other more contentious one??? That's all I can figure as I thought yours was only full of positive observations - your viewpoint without criticizing others. So if they are posting to yours, I can't figure out why. I think maybe they were confused. I enjoyed your post and view on Nationals!

Barbara

I also agree that things can look a lot different from inside the ring and even that depends on where you are.

Also every year you see one trainer and one ammy seem to sweep the show and be the "it" trainer and ammy, and then the next year its a different farm and a different ammy. Seems to cycle, which makes sense since the judges are different every year.

Stormy glad you had a good time! A top ten in the kind of competition is a huge success!

Stormy,

I had to laugh about the horse running loose in the dream. It reminded me of a certain trainer a few years ago that at several shows in a row had a horse get loose and run everywhere for a minute or so. We all teased him that he was doing it on purpose just show the mares movement and to draw attention to her, strange part was that he won all of the classes in which it happened, so maybe that is a new approach we all might want to think about. LOL
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wink.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Great show with a lot of neat people and lots of great horses!!! Congratulations to all the participants, it was a great experience for all again this year!
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_smile.png

Back