My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think she has dropped or is dropping. Her sides don't stick out quite so far now (although it's still there). I like taking the photos because what I think I see and what the camera sees can be a little different. I didn't realize she was getting slab sided yet, but the camera doesn't usually lie! She is absolutely huge and very uncomfortable! Hoping this baby isn't as big as it seems, poor girl! Really nervous if I'll need a vet as mine is pretty unresponsive and not very encouraging. Fortunately, she has gotten a lot more friendly with me. Still doubt she'll let me get anything from udder, but may try in a day or two, depending on her reaction. I'm barely able to get a picture of her undercarriage without her walking off in the middle of it or kicking, but that's improving as well. Camera's been on for a while now and I am completely sleep deprived, like everyone else on foal watch! Just praying all ends well....

I think she has dropped or is dropping. Her sides don't stick out quite so far now (although it's still there). I like taking the photos because what I think I see and what the camera sees can be a little different. I didn't realize she was getting slab sided yet, but the camera doesn't usually lie! She is absolutely huge and very uncomfortable! Hoping this baby isn't as big as it seems, poor girl! Really nervous if I'll need a vet as mine is pretty unresponsive and not very encouraging. Fortunately, she has gotten a lot more friendly with me. Still doubt she'll let me get anything from udder, but may try in a day or two, depending on her reaction. I'm barely able to get a picture of her undercarriage without her walking off in the middle of it or kicking, but that's improving as well. Camera's been on for a while now and I am completely sleep deprived, like everyone else on foal watch! Just praying all ends well....

Were in with you Pitter Patter ! You'll be so happy when it ends, and all that foal watching will be so worth it ! I'll be praying that all goes well and that you have a safe foaling !

PS- Have you tried tying her while you try getting milk from her udder ? Mine got used to it when I tied her to cross-chains in aisle. Helped a lot ! She won't let me touch her if she not tied, but will be perfectly calm if she's on the cross-ties... just an idea !

Were in with you Pitter Patter ! You'll be so happy when it ends, and all that foal watching will be so worth it ! I'll be praying that all goes well and that you have a safe foaling !

PS- Have you tried tying her while you try getting milk from her udder ? Mine got used to it when I tied her to cross-chains in aisle. Helped a lot ! She won't let me touch her if she not tied, but will be perfectly calm if she's on the cross-ties... just an idea !
Unfortunately at this time I can only cross tie out in my yard using trees...Saving up for a barn. Right now they only have a large enclosed run in shed :confused:. Mine are completely at liberty (except for foaling stall we put up in the shed) and I always ask and approach. The only one who proves really difficult is my feral pony, Patches, but her trust is improving in very small increments. Snickers seems to be best if she doesn't feel trapped or caught. This way it is her idea whether to allow anything and our relationship has really grown in this past year I have had her. But I can't wait to have a better organized system and get my babies out of the weather. We had a nasty storm blow in last night. I was sure she would go then just so we'd have to go out in it! LOL.

Unfortunately at this time I can only cross tie out in my yard using trees...Saving up for a barn. Right now they only have a large enclosed run in shed :confused:. Mine are completely at liberty (except for foaling stall we put up in the shed) and I always ask and approach. The only one who proves really difficult is my feral pony, Patches, but her trust is improving in very small increments. Snickers seems to be best if she doesn't feel trapped or caught. This way it is her idea whether to allow anything and our relationship has really grown in this past year I have had her. But I can't wait to have a better organized system and get my babies out of the weather. We had a nasty storm blow in last night. I was sure she would go then just so we'd have to go out in it! LOL.

I sure hope she doesn't decide to foal when you have a storm !

She is clearly building that udder ! Won't be long before you see other signs. 🙂

How's she coming along ? I'm having troubles with the internet at home & logging in :rolleyes:
She seems to be coming along ok. She's huge and miserable. Went from having a moody mare to a very sweet one, back to moody (and today that is putting it mildly!). Finally got some test strips but she's in a kicking mood, so I doubt I'll be able to use them at all. It's taken a year for her to trust enough just to touch her without getting kicked, sometimes randomly from behind! Doubt there will be enough time or bravery on my part to keep pushing the issue right now. Doesn't mean I still won't try from time to time, but at the moment I'm content having all MY body parts intact! It started snowing again here last night and today. That probably doesn't help anyone's mood. Here is the udder pic from last night and one from this morning.20210413_181802.jpg20210414_111240.jpg

Thats quite the lovely udder she is starting to produce :)

Can I just say.......... I have never tested a mares milk with pool strips in 25 years ( and I dont begin to start now) , so your not on your own there !!

Snickers had her baby at 4 am today!! Little colt. Very strong! Literally born on it's feet! Mama delivered standing up. Baby broke open the bag himself with just his weight and movement. Front feet landed first and then the rest of him followed very quickly as she walked. All 4 hooves on the ground then he fell down. Mama did great cleaning him up. I came in with a towel and was threatened. I left then. It was -10 C (for our Canadian and Aussie friends!) and baby was very shivery. It was pure miracle to get blanket on without getting hurt ourselves! Doesn't seem to have any problems nursing. Passed meconium almost right away. Now has soft almost runny yellowish/brown stools, which I am hoping is from mama's milk. The only things I ended up using from foaling kit so far has been a towel (for me to sit on!) and baby's blanket. Called vet and left voice mail after 5 am and still haven't heard back from him. It is now 12 hours later.....UGH! I had planned a tetanus shot for baby immediately, colostrum gel, worm mama, etc. but she is extremely protective and it just iisn't safe yet. Thank God this is a good, strong foal and also a very, very special thanks to Taz for taking my phone call at such a terrible hour! She soothed my nerves and gave perfect advice. 20210422_120456.jpg

Snickers had her baby at 4 am today!! Little colt. Very strong! Literally born on it's feet! Mama delivered standing up. Baby broke open the bag himself with just his weight and movement. Front feet landed first and then the rest of him followed very quickly as she walked. All 4 hooves on the ground then he fell down. Mama did great cleaning him up. I came in with a towel and was threatened. I left then. It was -10 C (for our Canadian and Aussie friends!) and baby was very shivery. It was pure miracle to get blanket on without getting hurt ourselves! Doesn't seem to have any problems nursing. Passed meconium almost right away. Now has soft almost runny yellowish/brown stools, which I am hoping is from mama's milk. The only things I ended up using from foaling kit so far has been a towel (for me to sit on!) and baby's blanket. Called vet and left voice mail after 5 am and still haven't heard back from him. It is now 12 hours later.....UGH! I had planned a tetanus shot for baby immediately, colostrum gel, worm mama, etc. but she is extremely protective and it just iisn't safe yet. Thank God this is a good, strong foal and also a very, very special thanks to Taz for taking my phone call at such a terrible hour! She soothed my nerves and gave perfect advice. View attachment 43347
He is precious congratulations!

OMG !!!!!! BEST NEWS :):):):)

Congratulations , I am stoked for you 💙
Many mares can turn into the devil once they foal, perfectly normal that she is being protective. Just give her a little time to bond with him.

Good on you Taz for being there on the phone :)

Latest posts

Back