my husband is nearing the end of his long fight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlene -

I know I'm not alone in my thoughts when reading your posts, and a couple of other people's posts on this forum when they are going through very hard times.

Thought I've never met any of you, I would give so much to fix it for you all, if only that would work!

The tale of how you and Gary met is BEAUTIFUL! Some things are just meant to be, and you 2 obviously were. I'm so glad that you and Gary's mother have each other right now, and that Gary has all of you.

You all will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers!!

Renee

My heart just aches for you, Gary and your family.

It is so hard to know that the earthly body of the man

you love has failed him....As you relive your wonderful life

together, he is also reliving it in his mind and heart.

You are making this easier for him by staying at his

side.....and letting him know when he's ready to go that

it is OK, that you and the family will be fine and no one

will ever forget him.

Neither will anyone on this Forum forget you and the

great love you've shared.

Take good care of you!
this is just exactly what the hospice nurse has told us. when we think gary is "out of it", for lack of a better phrase, we are told that he is reliving his life and seeing things only he can see. sometimes, he looks past me like he doesn't recognize me and that bothered me until it was explained that he is most likely seeing something in his mind that took place before i was with him. so many times, i will see him stare off in the distance and watch as his lips curl into a smile. i like to think he is remembering something happy, something perhaps he and i did that made him smile.

this is also a time when he is readying himself for this journey that he will soon make. he is talking to God, he is preparing to meet Him, i think he is happy with the notion that when he does slip his earthly bonds, he will be going to a place where he will be whole again and that gives me such peace.

it IS hard to watch him decline but at the same time, his decline means he is closer to his journey and to being well and happy again. how could i, as someone who loves him more than life itself, deny him that happiness?

and yes, shannon, gary was worth every minute of the wait! if i heard it once, i heard it a million times...he would tell someone that it took him "50 years to find the right one".

much love and many hugs to you all for helping me through this. charlene xoxo
default_smile.png

Just wanted to thank you as well for the story, and to let you know even though I have not been on much, I have been thinking of you both a lot.

Prayers and good thoughts your way.

good morning all! i don't have much time right now, just came online to check mail and LB and my aquarium forum. i would LOVE to tell you how gary and i met so i have copy/pasted what i posted in my other forum, the only other place i go where everybody knows our situation so, here goes...

gary and 2 of his brothers had their own vinyl siding business. when i was married, we hired them to put siding on our house. that would have been, ohhh, 30+ years ago. in the early 80's, gary moved his business to south carolina. he would occasionally come back to visit nana.

i used to run into his brother, rod, often. he lived in the same town as i did. i would always ask him how gary was doing. he would tell me he was fine and say it was strange that i would ask because when gary called home, he often asked rod how *I* was doing and did he ever see me.

when my husband and i split up, i moved to the city 20 miles away. i went to an auction every friday night and bought stuff to furnish my new apartment. at one of these auctions, i spotted this guy who looked very familiar. i made it a point to bump into him before the night was over. you gotta know the meffords, they are all huggers. i got a big bear hug and an invitation for a cup of coffee.

turns out, gary was just home visiting nana and was leaving to go back to south carolina in a few days. that one cup of coffee turned into two cups of coffee and then three and we fell head over heels in love. after about 3 weeks, he told me he couldn't stand the thought of leaving and he decided to stay. i think it was about 2 days later when he moved his tool belt into my apartment and we have been joined at the hip ever since.

eleven wonderful years, we have not exchanged so much as a single cross word, not a day goes by that we don't say "i love you". even now, when he is barely conscious, i tell him and he says it back. most times, it's just a weak whisper but i hear it and that's all that matters.

until recently, i would look around our farm and i would get so sad when i saw all of the projects we worked on together...the big flower garden, the patio with the fire ring we so enjoyed, the bird feeding stations we worked so hard on together, the hot tub on the deck that i can't see myself ever using again, my collection of breyer horses that sits on the shelves that gary made for me because HE kept bringing those darn things home and we just plain ran out of room to display them, the cabinet that he built out of old barn siding that houses many of our collectibles, the hitching post gary built for tuffy the very first summer we lived there. i could list a million things and every single one of them is unique and precious to me. and, every single one of them is inscribed in some way with the date it was made and the words "gary loves nina" (my nickname). but now, i look at all of that and i am SO glad i have it because every square inch is a blessed memory for me.

that's the story of how we met and where we are now. must run, i have simply been sitting next to gary's bed and holding his hand while he sleeps. he is comfortable and that is all that matters to us now.

thank you all again for your kind thoughts. if i haven't said it before, i will say it now...much of my strength comes from gary's mother. i simply could not get through this without her.

i do hope, some day, to be able to share some of those videos with you!!

love and hugs to you all! charlene
default_smile.png

Charlene, What a wonderful life you and Gary have, a lot of people just dream of being that happy together, but never really have the chance to experience it for one reason or another. You are truly blessed in the love you have for each other, and a wonderful inspiration to all of us. (((hugs))) Corinne.

Charlene -

I can only hope to look back on a relationship and be able to have half of what you and Gary have. It really puts into perspective how short life is. Life life to the fullest! Live today so you have memories for tomorrow.

Continued prayers, Adam and family

My prayers are with you. Hospice is great, they really know the human mind and the after life. They said the same thing about my mom. She would look pass us and laugh or even cry. They said she sees things we dont. I can relate to your pain. As I watched my mom pass. I remeber it like it was yesterday. It was so pieceful and almost joyous. To know they are going home. Oh please keep us posted. I wish I could take your pain oh my prayers go to you.

Charlene, continued thoughts and prayers for you and Gary. What a beautiful life… what a beautiful love story
default_wub.png
A true example of a love that was meant to be, and thanks for sharing with us. Will continue to send prayers up for you both, and Gary’s mom too. Please know you have so many who care about you.

have to make this quick, just came up to the house to check mail and give the horses a snack.

we have been unable to wake gary today, he is in a very deep sleep. there are more frequent and longer periods of apnea but he is in no pain and is comfortable. by all appearances, he will soon be in the arms of the Lord and we have all come to realize over the past couple of days that this is where he SHOULD be.

i will update when i can. as always, i thank you for your continued prayers for his peaceful journey and for being here for me. as i am, gary would be SO proud of you all!!

charlene xoxo

I continue to lift you and Gary up in prayer. I love your story and certainly admire your strength. God is showing us all something through this. You know to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. I can't imagine what you're going through; just know that you have lots of forum family here that truly care and are here for you.

God bless,

Joan

oh charlene, I will be thinking about you often today....I know as prepared as you feel, this will be very, very hard when the time does actually come.....please take time to take care of yourself too....

lots and lots of hugs

~kathryn

I'm so sorry you're going through this.
default_no.gif
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Ya know Charlene, this is like reading a chronicle and a good one at that! Sharing this is so good for us forum members as a whole and me personally.

I think we all know someone going through something similar oer personally is going through it..and sharing your story here as you go through it day by day is so generous! And I'm sure is helping many right now!

I can only hope the writing of these posts helps you get through your day and or night and know that once again, today,

I am thinking of you two with warm thoughts and prayers.

Maxine

Last edited by a moderator:
Sending more love from leeana
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Thinking about you several times a day still and checking in for updates.

((((((((HUGS))))))))

reble, just answered! ;)

maxine, putting my thoughts into words helps me more than you can ever know. it seems to be therapy for me to come here and report in. i so wish i could have given better news a long time ago but it just was not to be.

if my story helps anyone else, even just a little, i am glad i shared.

leeana and everyone else, thank you for your prayers and kind thoughts. i will most certainly update you when i can!

love & hugs to all

xoxoxo

charlene
default_smile.png

I so admire you as this time nears, my prayers and light stay with you both.

Latest posts

Back