my husband is nearing the end of his long fight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Charlene,

I know the days ahead will be difficult. I cant even imagine how difficult.

Try to keep those 11 wonderful years in the front. I hope that you are granted your prayer and that Gary is soon healthy again, and once again "singing" to you in your dreams. He will never be far from your heart.

My heart goes out to you and as always, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hugs dear Charlene.

you guys are the best! and you are so right...these memories will live on forever and when i see gary in the next world, he will be waiting with open arms. there will never ever be another one like him! i find strength in thoughts of him being free from all of this. something else i have thought about...gary never knew my dad. they will meet in heaven. i hope he doesn't tell dad some of the stories he knows about me! many of them are gary's fault!!
default_wink.png

when i'm feeling weak or blue or have thoughts that are just too much to handle, i come here and read. i wish you could know just how much it helps me!

charlene
default_smile.png
xoxo

Charlene....

You are a very strong woman and will be facing such a difficult time (even more so than now) in the days/ weeks ahead. I know how hard it must be to watch those videos of Gary, but they will always be there to cherish and hold dear to your heart forever. If you ever need anyone to talk to, please PM/email me!

Oh Iam so glad you are on here reading sometimes, I look forward to reading about Gary and You,

How did you and Gary meet? If you do not mind sharing...
default_wub.png

Charlene,

If I am ever faced with a situation like this, I know I will think of you. I will remember your strength, your faith in Jesus, and your love for your dear husband. Even though this is a hard time for you, just know that God is using you to touch others lives in more ways then you could ever know. Thank you for letting us be your support through this hard time.

[SIZE=12pt]Charlene, when I read your posts about the life and love you two have shared and see the pictures it makes me think how lucky you are to have all of the beautiful times and at the same time my heart breaks for you. Have been wanting to post again but didn't know what to say...here is a link to a song that I think of when I read your posts...Nikki http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jb9N5qhe6A [/SIZE]

We are all here for you Charlene. You are a treasure.

I'm struggling to find the words right now.

Love Leonie xoxox

Charlene, each time I check in to see how things are going I find myself thinking how very envious I am of the special bond between you and Gary. So many of us are never blessed with the kind of love and devotion the two of you share. Please know that our prayers for you both continue today and tomorrow and for as long as you need them.

Just checking in to let you know you both are still in my heart. I admire your strength and you deep abiding love.

I wanted to let you know I am joining everyone in their thoughts and prayers.

I can't find words that will help you but only to let you know your strength and character is "shining thru" for all of us to "take a lesson".

As others have said, I don't know how I would handle what you are doing but you certainly are showing us a beautiful example of grace and dignity.

I pray "thy will be done".

good morning all! i don't have much time right now, just came online to check mail and LB and my aquarium forum. i would LOVE to tell you how gary and i met so i have copy/pasted what i posted in my other forum, the only other place i go where everybody knows our situation so, here goes...

gary and 2 of his brothers had their own vinyl siding business. when i was married, we hired them to put siding on our house. that would have been, ohhh, 30+ years ago. in the early 80's, gary moved his business to south carolina. he would occasionally come back to visit nana.

i used to run into his brother, rod, often. he lived in the same town as i did. i would always ask him how gary was doing. he would tell me he was fine and say it was strange that i would ask because when gary called home, he often asked rod how *I* was doing and did he ever see me.

when my husband and i split up, i moved to the city 20 miles away. i went to an auction every friday night and bought stuff to furnish my new apartment. at one of these auctions, i spotted this guy who looked very familiar. i made it a point to bump into him before the night was over. you gotta know the meffords, they are all huggers. i got a big bear hug and an invitation for a cup of coffee.

turns out, gary was just home visiting nana and was leaving to go back to south carolina in a few days. that one cup of coffee turned into two cups of coffee and then three and we fell head over heels in love. after about 3 weeks, he told me he couldn't stand the thought of leaving and he decided to stay. i think it was about 2 days later when he moved his tool belt into my apartment and we have been joined at the hip ever since.

eleven wonderful years, we have not exchanged so much as a single cross word, not a day goes by that we don't say "i love you". even now, when he is barely conscious, i tell him and he says it back. most times, it's just a weak whisper but i hear it and that's all that matters.

until recently, i would look around our farm and i would get so sad when i saw all of the projects we worked on together...the big flower garden, the patio with the fire ring we so enjoyed, the bird feeding stations we worked so hard on together, the hot tub on the deck that i can't see myself ever using again, my collection of breyer horses that sits on the shelves that gary made for me because HE kept bringing those darn things home and we just plain ran out of room to display them, the cabinet that he built out of old barn siding that houses many of our collectibles, the hitching post gary built for tuffy the very first summer we lived there. i could list a million things and every single one of them is unique and precious to me. and, every single one of them is inscribed in some way with the date it was made and the words "gary loves nina" (my nickname). but now, i look at all of that and i am SO glad i have it because every square inch is a blessed memory for me.

that's the story of how we met and where we are now. must run, i have simply been sitting next to gary's bed and holding his hand while he sleeps. he is comfortable and that is all that matters to us now.

thank you all again for your kind thoughts. if i haven't said it before, i will say it now...much of my strength comes from gary's mother. i simply could not get through this without her.

i do hope, some day, to be able to share some of those videos with you!!

love and hugs to you all! charlene
default_smile.png

I had not seen this post before now and my heart breaks thinking of what you must be going through. I certainly lack the strength you have and the thought of being in the same position makes my eyes well up. I too have a great relationship with my hubby and we are like you and Gary, in that we are always with each other and always say I love you every day.

Prayers for both of you. Please take the time you need for yourself and Gary. We will all understand if you need a reprieve from the forum at this difficult time. Gary is a lucky man to have you and you to have him, and I will keep checking in to see how you both are doing. (((hugs)))

Last edited by a moderator:
My heart just aches for you, Gary and your family.

It is so hard to know that the earthly body of the man

you love has failed him....As you relive your wonderful life

together, he is also reliving it in his mind and heart.

You are making this easier for him by staying at his

side.....and letting him know when he's ready to go that

it is OK, that you and the family will be fine and no one

will ever forget him.

Neither will anyone on this Forum forget you and the

great love you've shared.

Take good care of you!

[SIZE=14pt]I love the picture of Gary swinging and the story of how you two met. Sounds like that relationship was a long time in the making...and well worth the wait.
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]You are so strong and such an inspiration to me and so many others here! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Many Hugs, Shannon
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Thank you for sharing that story!!
default_wub.png

You, Gary, his family all continue to be in my thoughts....not a moment goes by that I don't wonder how things are going for all of you....take care

((((HUGS))))

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back