My dog is in the hospital

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandy, sweetie, I have waited and waited to hear an update...how are things with the baby?

pray.gif

Well nuts...normally no news is good news BUT I have this sinking feeling....... where are you and how is your doggie...so many of us here care about all the forum doggies and their mommies and daddies

Yes, please do let us know how your little one is faring. I hope everything is ok...

OH nuts Sandy I am really hopeing that it's nothing serious and can be fixed with some medication. I said a little prayer for your baby! I'll do another one too. I got lots! Waiting for an update.

Update on Austin-

My dog is doing better now, thanks for everyone's concern.

Sorry for not posting sooner but the first few days I was so stressed out having to make the decisions about his medical care and also hosting Christmas at my house. I checked back here and my post was on the second page so I didn't even know any one was reading it. I've had company staying in my guest room and I haven't been on the computer much.

Austin is going to be quite a problem. Seems he has quite an appetite for non-edible items. He had a serious blockage and I have no idea how he gets the things he eats.

He's barely ever out of my sight. Thank heavens we have a wonderful emergency animal hospital and that my kids realize we won't be leaving them any inheritence.

This last week has been so hectic for me between company coming and going and having my two kids home and my daughter's 5 month old border collie puppy here also. That's three puppies for me to take care of now as my daughter left for Africa this morning. Her dog will be here with me until February.

Thanks for your concern and your prayers and I'm so sorry I didn't know that people were asking about him. Now that I have my computer back I will be checking more often.
wink.gif

Well thank heavens he'll be ok! You must know how worried we get.

Now "Africa", how terribly exciting! You have to promise to be careful, I know that 3 puppies is alot for you, take it slow and easy.

Warm hugs!

Thank heavens Austin is doing better.

A story - A friend of our has a lab puppy, this pup was a real stinker. When they left for work, etc...the dog (Bam is his name) would eat the couch, the table, everything. I gave them our old crate to use and told them - this dog needs to be crated when you leave, not just for your furniture's sake, but for the dog's sake. It is a very nice large crate - big enough for a St. Bernard. They refused to crate him, they felt crating was "mean".....well sure enough, the dog ended up at Michigan State University to remove a blockage...a throw rug. After that (almost $2000 vet bill and surgery), they finally decided to crate him. He is fine now and he actually likes his crate....I told them so!

Some dogs just seem to get into everything. So glad Austin is doing better.

I have been so worried, I saw that you had been logged in but had not posted and I was fearing the worst! Teddy is a little vacuum cleaner too, we are constantly pulling stuff out of his mouth, any little thing he finds he's munching on. I know how awful a blockage can be so I try to be vigilant as to what he's got but it's like you said Sandy, you don't even know where they get it from. I had to get rid of one of their rope toys because he would lay there and chew the strings off the ends and eat them. I will keep you and little Austin in my thoughts and prayers.
yes.gif

Thanks for the update...thats wonderful news!

I thought it was just a Mastiff thing, but evidently it is'nt.
wacko.gif
Lakota loves to carry things in her mouth, inside it's her own toys usually. If I'm folding clothes, she usually sneaks in a sock here and there, and not just carrying it, she hords the thing all the way in the back of her throat, so you sometimes may not know she has it in her mouth. The give-away is her spunky attitude and her high march....."lookie at what I have!" It scares me alot of times as outside she's constantly carrying and chewing on sticks and rocks....ROCKS!!!!!
new_shocked.gif
Whats up with that??? She gets a well balanced diet, and cookies left and right....it's just her. Ever since we got this adorable "little" puppy she has kept me on my toes...I think I will be constantly supervising her fro now until she's a senior citizen, you just never know what she'll pull out of the hat!

I'm glad to know your little one is out of the woods.
yes.gif

After Austin got home from the hospital we have been watching him like a hawk. He doesn't have the full run of the house so he really isn't ever out of my sight. But a few days after he got home he vomited a small sock and then the next day he pooped one. Where in the world he got the pair of socks from we will never know. I may have to get a muzzle if he doesn't grow out of this.

Hopefully the socks are all that was blocking him up! Maybe this is just puppy stuff that he will outgrow...I am glad the little man is okay!
aktion033.gif

Thank you so much for the update! Add me to the list of worriers, especially when we didn't hear back from you!
aktion033.gif

So, so glad to hear Austin is doing better!

Liz R.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to make anyone worry. I was up all Christmas Eve with my puppy and then at 4:00 am Christmas morning we took him into the hospital. We had to leave him there and then go home and feed and entertain all the family. After hours of clean up Christmas night I collapsed in my bed. I checked the forum the next day to see what everyone was up to and my post wasn't on the 1st page any more and so I didn't think anyone was reading it and I was interrupted and had to go anyway. This last week has been so hectic and stressful that I'm surprised I've even survived.
no.gif

I am happy he is home!!! Very glad to read the updates
biggrin.gif
I hope he will outgrow his unusual snacking tendencies, too.

Ugh! My very first Siberian used to eat socks. She would run into the laundry roon, grab them and swallow them on the run, you just couldn't catch her in time.

A few days later she would throw them up, all twisted up. Thank goodness they always came up. She did it every chance she could for her entire 14 years!

Last week my brother in law's Cocker's suspected tumor turned out to be a peach pit. Cost him about $2,000.....

So glad that your Sheltie puppy will be fine!!!

Shelley

Latest posts

Back