McCain - his vice-presidential choice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She may have added bits and pieces of her own - but rest assured the Republican string pullers had a lot of that speech carefully crafted for whoever the VP nominee was going to be... they would not take any chances of the wrong things beng said. As it was, apparently she had to improvise when the teleprompter went out - and did a good job !

Jill - the chart comparing OBama and Palin cracked me up - it was such a tongue-bathing of Palin that it was almost funny - but then - maybe it was supposed to be?
default_unsure.png

I guess I prefer a comparison that is more objective - for any candidate.

On the radio here this A.M. there were some residents of Wasilla who were NOT happy about the way Palin's much touted "executive experience" was being spun. She appointed herself an assistant when she was mayor to do most of the day to day work. The city was thrown into millions of dollars of debt while she was in office... and had no debt at all before she was elected...

They were somewhat stymied as to how she suddenly has all this "executive experience" and is "budget driven". So as with most politicians, things are not what they seem...

Attacks, praise stretch truth at GOP convention

Attacks, praise stretch truth at GOP convention
By JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press Writer Jim Kuhnhenn, Associated Press Writer

Wed Sep 3, 11:48 pm ET

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and her Republican supporters held back little Wednesday as they issued dismissive attacks on Barack Obama and flattering praise on her credentials to be vice president. In some cases, the reproach and the praise stretched the truth.

Some examples:

PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

PALIN: "There is much to like and admire about our opponent. But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform — not even in the state senate."

THE FACTS: Compared to McCain and his two decades in the Senate, Obama does have a more meager record. But he has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases. He also successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.

PALIN: "The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes, raise payroll taxes, raise investment income taxes, raise the death tax, raise business taxes, and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars."

THE FACTS: The Tax Policy Center, a think tank run jointly by the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute, concluded that Obama's plan would increase after-tax income for middle-income taxpayers by about 5 percent by 2012, or nearly $2,200 annually. McCain's plan, which cuts taxes across all income levels, would raise after tax-income for middle-income taxpayers by 3 percent, the center concluded.

Obama would provide $80 billion in tax breaks, mainly for poor workers and the elderly, including tripling the Earned Income Tax Credit for minimum-wage workers and higher credits for larger families.

He also would raise income taxes, capital gains and dividend taxes on the wealthiest. He would raise payroll taxes on taxpayers with incomes above $250,000, and he would raise corporate taxes. Small businesses that make more than $250,000 a year would see taxes rise.

MCCAIN: "She's been governor of our largest state, in charge of 20 percent of America's energy supply ... She's responsible for 20 percent of the nation's energy supply. I'm entertained by the comparison and I hope we can keep making that comparison that running a political campaign is somehow comparable to being the executive of the largest state in America," he said in an interview with ABC News' Charles Gibson.

THE FACTS: McCain's phrasing exaggerates both claims. Palin is governor of a state that ranks second nationally in crude oil production, but she's no more "responsible" for that resource than President Bush was when he was governor of Texas, another oil-producing state. In fact, her primary power is the ability to tax oil, which she did in concert with the Alaska Legislature. And where Alaska is the largest state in America, McCain could as easily have called it the 47th largest state — by population.

MCCAIN: "She's the commander of the Alaska National Guard. ... She has been in charge, and she has had national security as one of her primary responsibilities," he said on ABC.

THE FACTS: While governors are in charge of their state guard units, that authority ends whenever those units are called to actual military service. When guard units are deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, for example, they assume those duties under "federal status," which means they report to the Defense Department, not their governors. Alaska's national guard units have a total of about 4,200 personnel, among the smallest of state guard organizations.

FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

FORMER MASSACHUSETTS GOV. MITT ROMNEY: "We need change, all right — change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription for every American who wants change in Washington — throw out the big-government liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin."

THE FACTS: A Back-to-the-Future moment. George W. Bush, a conservative Republican, has been president for nearly eight years. And until last year, Republicans controlled Congress. Only since January 2007 have Democrats have been in charge of the House and Senate.
As always - it is best to NEVER take anything at face value when it comes to political speeches and soundbytes. No matter who is involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you tagalong for posting that, it mirrors a lot of what I am reading from reputable, major news agencies.

..., it mirrors a lot of what I am reading from reputable, major news agencies.
If you know of a reputable news agency that's reporting unbiased information I'd love to know who they are.

I am curious why anytime someone posts something said or done that shows McCain might not be all he seems it suddenly becomes the press, media is biased and not to be trusted. Why then are the charts and info you find and are posting for him to be trusted? How are they any more reputable?

I absolutely loved her speech... she showed her true colors and the Democrats should be very happy.

http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/515517.html

I would caution the Republicans to stop insulting other nations and telling them to not comment on the election in the U.S. as I said it does impact and hence the interest. To insult others is not prudent and hence the reason that the media had every right to ask about her foreign policy experience or lack thereof.

Ms. Palin, oh sorry Ms. Hockey Mom, Ms Pitbull" and where is this pipeline from Alaska to the U.S. going to go? Through Canada you say? Keep insulting and try and bully, you are doing just a fine job. Here in Canada we aren't so quick to believe things without looking at all sides (take a look at the link below to see what I mean). Seems like not all is on the up and up. The last laugh will be on you when the Democrats win the election because you have turned-off your electorate.

Today is a very good day
default_laugh.png

http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/515517.html

And comparing Obama to Moses was very tacky on your part "Ms Pitbull". You might just get bit back but they you will cry "how dare they..." whatever.

I have noticed the same thing...must be just a tad bit of prejudice being written.
default_no.gif
I definitely think that chart is something that is very biased and not giving a true picture of things at all, but it is what I have come to expect from Republicans. I do hope people aren't that easily misled and they will search out the truth before voting.
default_saludando.gif

I am curious why anytime someone posts something said or done that shows McCain might not be all he seems it suddenly becomes the press, media is biased and not to be trusted. Why then are the charts and info you find and are posting for him to be trusted? How are they any more reputable?

I think the first thing that cheesed me off about the chart that got posted is "Candidate's full name". Palin's got a nice, long American sounding name. Obama's middle name is "Hussein". Now what do you suppose that section of the chart is doing? We don't need their full names, Barack Obama and Sara Palin work just fine.

Do you suppose someone was going out of their way to point out that Obama shares a name with a man we hate? Now WHY would someone do that? I refuse to believe that we as Americans are so easily swayed.

Do we shun everyone with the last name of 'Manson'? How about every man named Jeffery? I'm absolutely certain that there are plenty of women named Lorena out there who are still getting dates.

I'm very confident is saying that I KNOW no one here is a dummy, so I don't see the point of posting something so ridiculous.

Jill - the chart comparing OBama and Palin cracked me up - it was so painfully one-sided and and such a tongue-bathing of Palin that it was almost funny - but then - maybe it was supposed to be?
default_unsure.png
I guess I prefer a comaprison that is more objective - for any candidate.
Tag --

The information on the chart is all true. Period. It's True. If you don't like the contrast, well..........................

If you want to talk about bias, have you noticed anything LEFT about the majority of the US newspapers; ABC, CBS, and NBC network news; and MSNBC, HLN and CNN "cable" news channels? Which is probably exactly what gives you the "facts" on which you base your opinions.

Thank goodness for Fox News.

Jill

I cannot help but be more and more impressed with Palin. Her speech was outstanding and beautifuly delivered AND her teleprompter was not even working properly.

Palin Overcame Teleprompter Problems, Missing Hard Copies

"Foremost of the obstacles, Palin’s teleprompter was not working properly. When she took the podium, the machine rolled so quickly, it often skipped the first line or two of every paragraph on screen. The operator said he had new equipment and wasn’t sure how it would work."

I think the first thing that cheesed me off about the chart that got posted is "Candidate's full name". Palin's got a nice, long American sounding name. Obama's middle name is "Hussein". Now what do you suppose that section of the chart is doing? We don't need their full names, Barack Obama and Sara Palin work just fine.
His name, it's just a fact. Don't assign anymore to it than you choose. Personally, it's not a factor in how I feel about him as a Presidential candidate. The chart gives some facts and it's up to each person who reads it to decide what it all means to them.

I look forward to everyone hearing more and thinking harder about Obama's relationship to his moral and religious leader, the racist Reverend Jeremiah Wright. Despite Obama's attempt to explain some things were said out of context -- there are some things that really are their own context and no explanation is needed (and it cannot be "explained away").

I would doubt any politician that claims to have written their own speeches. No matter what party they are with.
Bingo, (Dang it what is your name??? LOL) My whole point was CNN talked about her speech being written for her. Which all of them have a person do it. If anyone was watching the OTHER news, or heck even ABC news said it also, her speech was not being fed to her prompters and then when they fixed it the speech was behind. Facts are she did an awesome job! I know who wrote her speech but she had to wing it.

Fran

The information on the chart is all true. Period. It's True.
No, Jill... with all due respect, it isn't. I do not mind the comparisons - fine, yippy skippy, same old song, you know it will happen - but I do care about facts. No matter what you are "told" - a lot of those "facts" on that chart are anything but - as some Republicans have even acknowledged. Please look them up yourself - i.e. the Bridge to Nowhere - before just blindly accepting clever little soundbytes and email campaigns designed to paint a picture that may not be accurate.
default_unsure.png

The obvious ploy of bringing up Hussein again in such a painfully obvious way in order to make suggestions that are not true... well, plotics is a dirty game - on all sides at times. Why is anything to do with Palin being given the whitewashed All Is Good treatment?

I know this clip is from Jon Stewart's show... and one may not like him... but the clips speak for themselves. And they are just a few examples of the flip-flopping etc. that all politicians and the media engage in at times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8uGenNjOAI

No, Jill... with all due respect, it isn't. I do not mind the comparisons - fine, yippy skippy, same old song, you know it will happen - but I do care about facts. No matter what you are "told" - a lot of those "facts" on that chart are anything but - as some Republicans have even acknowledged. Please look them up yourself - i.e. the Bridge to Nowhere - before just blindly accepting clever little soundbytes and email campaigns designed to paint a picture that may not be accurate.
The obvious ploy of bringing up Hussein again in such a painfully obvious way in order to make suggestions that are not true... well, plotics is a dirty game - on all sides at times. Why is anything to do with Palin being given the whitewashed All Is Good treatment?

I know this clip is from Jon Stewart's show... and one may not like him... but the clips speak for themselves. And they are an example of the flip-flopping etc. that all politicians and the media engage in at times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8uGenNjOAI
Tag,

I don't blindly accept anything. I think way too hard to be a blind follower.

It would be fascinating if you could spell out what you feel is not true on the chart. I stand by it -- it does list facts. They may not be the facts you like the most, but they're facts.

Jon Stewart is a funny man and he's made me laugh many times. But a sad fact is a lot of American's get the majority of their news from his show. Hello... it's carried exclusively by Comedy Central. I'll check that link out later if I'm looking for some laughs but I'm not going to credit it as an actual news source... I mean, think I've seen South Park air directly after his program (it's a funny show, too).

Can't say holding out Comedy Central's The Daily Show as a source does much to support the Democrat position
default_biggrin.png

Jill

Jill - look up the Bridge to Nowhere stuff. It is not as has been painted on that chart. That is easy to verify - do it. Or, if you like, I will drag over links and such later tonight. It's there. *shrug*

I am in the middle of all this, sitting and watching. I cannot vote as I am a legal alien. I just abhor the spin, obfuscation, untruths and general b.s. that is a part of this presidential race... on any side. It has just become painfully obvious again this week with the sudden spotlight on Sarah Palin...

Hello... it's carried exclusively by Comedy Central.
HELLO - because it pokes fun at such things - it is SATIRE about the news of the day.
default_wacko.png

I am in the middle of all this, sitting and watching. I cannot vote as I am a legal alien.
Tag, if I had realized you are not a US citizen, I actually would not have talked with you specifically on the subject of our Presidential election politics. Right or wrong, whatever, I just don't care to discuss something I am so passionate about that is the business of our Nation with people who are not US Citizens. While I enjoy discussing many other things with you, I don't feel like THIS is common ground.

wow is right!
default_aktion033.gif
. My thoughts exactly Jill
default_smile.png

After that, I don't have much trouble seeing why other nations dislike America and it's politics. The thought that someone's opinion on America is invalid or even unwelcome because they are not a citizen is just so far beyond my understanding.

Really, do you not understand that America is not alone in this world? That valid points and opinions and models and experience can come from anyone, from any place and any station?

Latest posts

Back