McCain - his vice-presidential choice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I should call John and Sarah and let them know they better rev things up!!!
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

But, seriously, good for both of you getting more involved
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif

Now bingo, I have to believe you are smarter then too vote based on a few people you happen to disagree with here.
default_wacko.png
. That's just plain silly
default_smile.png

Now bingo, I have to believe you are smarter then too vote based on a few people you happen to disagree with here.
default_wacko.png
default_smile.png
I think you're right but I'm also wondering if I can use this "power" to influence the outcome of American Idol or to help pick the next new M&M color???

default_wacko.png
default_smile.png

Of course I simply meant I tried to have an open mind I am not married to either party so to speak. The behavior and opinions stated here clearly reaffirmed all that I do not like about McCain , Bush and their party. It is not about disagreeing with a few people it is about the beliefs and ideals* the leader of the free world* and his followers who tend to follow pretty blindly will have. I simply can not support that period!

Could be just me but even after rereading your post several times it seems pretty clear what you were saying. Peoples first reaction is normally how they honestly feel. I would never pick one democrates statements or even several and then assume all democrates are a certain way, again that's just plain silly IMO.

Could be just me but even after rereading your post several times it seems pretty clear what you were saying. Peoples first reaction is normally how they honestly feel. I would never pick one democrates statements or even several and then assume all democrates are a certain way, again that's just plain silly IMO.

Ahhhh righteousness gotta love it....... NOT
default_whistling.gif
default_gaah.gif

Whatever gets you thru the day I could say more but obviously would be
default_deadhorse2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL righteousness ? That is even more silly. Parties don't mean a thing to me, I will say it again I would NOT judge a whole party by a few followers plain and simple. I look at the people running but that's just me. Sometimes it's hard to not let what others say bother you but it's best to just let it go, it's not healthy.

I see you edited your last post, "what ever gets me thru the day"
default_no.gif
wow, you need to chill.

I truly have been reading these threads with an open mind. I had not yet made up my mind. This thread has taught me a lot. I have seen some recurring themes from one side and have decided firmly who I will not vote for.
If firmly believe a leader is only as good as his followers. McCains followers on this thread have shown me without a doubt what side I choose to be a part of! Lowrise I will be doing the same thing this evening.
default_smile.png
Fascinating... I'm thinking how it's a shame nothing Obama himself has said the past year or so inspired you to get involved in the way some of our Republican members have. Maybe by elections, you can feel as enthusiastic about him as President as I have been feeling for McCain.

Well while you keep trying to convince everyone your way is the right way and debate who or who doesn't have the right to have valid opinions I will be off enjoying myself in Tulsa. Have a great night!
default_saludando.gif

They aren't brushing a teenage pregnancy under the rug and terminating it as I've seen and heard of others doing as a form of birth control. Did Palins' daughter make a good choice? Probably not, but that IS NOT for me to decide! I will NOT refer to her pregnancy as a mistake as I don't believe any child should be referred to as a "mistake". I will refer to it as a decision that has consequences - the same reality that each of us face every day. The fact that her mother stands behind her is quite a statement. I may not agree with everything this campaign has to offer, but THIS is one area that they are far above in my book.

I don't normally talk politics with people except my own family. I have to admit a couple of things on this thread just hit me wrong.

Adam I agree with your statement 100%. " I" bolded the most special part to me in your quote above.

I do NOT think it is the WORLDS business about Mrs. Palins teenage daughter's pregnancy. This does NOT in my eyes make her a bad mother.

Now, let's be real here - How many of us were virgins when we got married? How many of us have problems with birth control pills, etc.?

I am NOT asking ANYONE to answer the question above. I am just speaking from experience from my own family.

Thank you Adam for such a " true" statement in my eyes - that has been quoted above.

It annoys me to see people who are not US Citizens get adamant about the politics of the USA. Not only is it not within any other country's power to decide, it's also beyond their citizen's ability to actually know and deeply care what's best for our Nation. They do not know what it's like to live here as a United States Citizen in these times and their opinions of our politics do not weigh on my mind.
EXCUSE ME? EXCUSE ME??!!

default_no.gif

*looks around*

I seem to be here. For like - 9 years. Living just as all the American citizens do - and you would not know I wasn't one just from looking at me or talking to me. You could not pick me out of a line-up. I do not even say EH or oot and aboot. I LIVE HERE. I WORK HERE. I love my job. My friends - who do not care that I am not a citizen. The disabled riders I teach and volunteer with. They also do not care. You do not think that the events of 9/11 affected me here? Do you think that any of the people I met that day as we talked in hushed tones and raged and worried and cried gave a flying fig that I was not a citizen? I have taken a lot of crap from unbelievably rude and bullying immigration officers in order to be here - you have no idea. I do have a stake in what goes on and like to discuss it. All opinions matter to any discussion - and to summarily - and rudely - just sneer and dismiss the concerns of others because it many not be what you want to hear... shows that you really do not want to "discuss" any of this. It seems to be your way or the highway and no one else's opinion matters. Or they are lying. Or a joke. There is no need for that... it is far better to examine all sides of every issue. Or so one would think. I have been critical of a lot of the Democratic tactics as well. I am not wearing blinders. I am not one-sided. I never will be.

When the US figures in the affairs of so many countries - you think others should not be interested in what happens in the elections? It would be extremely short-sighted - and stupid - not to Pay Attention.

Jill - are you going to check everyone's citizenship and/or immigration status before you deign to consider their opinions? minimor and others who may live out of the country are not permitted to have a thought or express a concern?

Apparently not.

Wow. Again.

Jill - I can only surmise that you do not realize how that sounds - especially the way you have put it. Or - as you hinted - you do know and do not give a rip.

It was bad enough when W made it clear that illegals might be granted amnesty and given a pat on the head and handed the documentation FOR NOTHING (other than breaking the law) that so many of us have worked so hard for. We were shown that we did not matter - the illegals were far more important. If that had gone through it would have been a major kick in the teeth.

The way you have so rudely dismissed me - or anyone else in a similar situation... is also kind of a kick in the teeth.

Thank you.
default_sad.png

And I can assure you that I care a lot more about what goes on in this country that a lot of the citizens around here who are not going to vote - and have not voted in a very long time. If ever.

And before you mention it and hold it over my head for some reason - I cannot become a citizen. My type of visa does not permit it. Nor does it permit you to apply for a green card. Yet. You need to have a green card and be a legal alien for 5 years in order to start the process. So the 9 years I have been here do not count..,

Tagalong,

I still can't get this quote thing figured out - I will put in red in your quote's above that bothers me.

I have to to be honest because I do not understand a few things.

Ok, my sister in law was born in Germany - She is like you said you are - You could not pick her out of a line up. She did have a Green Card for several years. You are right it is NOT EASY - but, she did become a United States Citizen. So, my concerns and maybe I don't understand ( and how could I when my sister-in-law did it). Why you have lived here 9 years and you still have not taken the test, etc. - everything that is REQUIRED to become a US Citizen?

By reading your quotes - that I highlighted in RED - if you mean what you say. Then I have to say I see where Jill is coming from. Why would I want to " debate" an issue if you do not care enough to become a USA Citizen?

I don't mean " talk" to you.

I also can understand talking and discussing issues with people from other countries - because they do NOT have a choice. They live in another country. You live here in the United States of America !

If you care as much as you say you do - than I hope you can explain in a way that I can understand WHY you can not become a US Citizen. Because my sister in law did it - so, why can't you? I guess that bothers me the most.

I truly have been reading these threads with an open mind. I had not yet made up my mind. This thread has taught me a lot. I have seen some recurring themes from one side and have decided firmly who I will not vote for.
If firmly believe a leader is only as good as his followers. McCains followers on this thread have shown me without a doubt what side I choose to be a part of! Lowrise I will be doing the same thing this evening.
default_smile.png

WOW! What's that all about? I have spent days hearing garbage about republicans whether they are in the news or not. Liberalism, by definition, I surely have not seen on here. I think people need to truely see what the party they are suppose to be representing stands for.

Fran

It is pretty ridiculous to be won over to the other side because you do not like the opinions or attitudes of a few Republican members of LB. It's honestly crazy that we're to believe we actually inspired two members to not just vote for Obama but to volunteer to work for him as well! From two people who were previously undecided... We must be VERY inspirational!

I gotta say I'm surprised this thread is still open. Several days ago I expected it to be not only locked....but locked and the key thrown away. It started out as an informational debate and has turned into something else entirely. I sure wish you ladies could/would just agree to disagree and let's get on with our opportunity to share information and views. I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with any of you.....it's JMHO.

Lisa, read tagalong's last paragraph again--it explains why citizenship is not possible

And before you mention it and hold it over my head for some reason - I cannot become a citizen. My type of visa does not permit it. Nor does it permit you to apply for a green card. Yet. You need to have a green card and be a legal alien for 5 years in order to start the process. So the 9 years I have been here do not count..,
There are different kinds of visas--you say your sister-in-law from Germany had a green card...tagalong does not have a green card. There is the difference. No green card, no citizenship.

Well I am glad to see everyone has just kept this thread a debate.
default_wink.png
I will add that I think anyone that is not an American has a right to speak up about what the U.S. does for outr government definiotely has it's nose in other countries business most of the time. What our government does or doesn't do has an effect in many ways on other countries. JMHO

What is written below is one reason that I have a difficult time voting Republican....it seems they are always ready to help out the rich guys [nothing wrong with being rich if it was earned withour harming others] while the middle class pay for it. JUst like the unneeed war we will be paying for this for a very long time and I do hate seeing our children and grandchildren etc. pay for some huge mistakes

WASHINGTON - The government is expected to take over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac as soon as this weekend in a monumental move designed to protect the mortgage market from the failure of the two companies, which together hold or guarantee half of the nation's mortgage debt, a person briefed on the matter said Friday night.

Some of the details of the intervention, which could cost taxpayers billions, were not yet available, but are expected to include the departure of Fannie Mae CEO Daniel Mudd and Freddie Mac CEO Richard Syron, according to the source, who asked not to be named because the plan was yet to be announced.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and James Lockhart, the companies' chief regulator, met Friday afternoon with the top executives from the mortgage companies and informed them of the government's plan to put the troubled companies into a conservatorship.

The news, first reported on The Wall Street Journal's Web site, came after stock markets closed. In after-hours trading Fannie Mae's shares plunged $1.54, or 22 percent, to $5.50. Freddie Mac's shares fell $1.06, or almost 21 percent, to $4.04. Common stock in the companies will be worth little to nothing after the government's actions.

The news also followed a report Friday by the Mortgage Bankers Association that more than 4 million American homeowners with a mortgage, a record 9 percent, were either behind on their payments or in foreclosure at the end of June.

That confirmed what investors saw in Fannie and Freddie's recent financial results: trouble in the mortgage market has shifted to homeowners who had solid credit but took out exotic loans with little or no proof of their income and assets.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac lost a combined $3.1 billion between April and June. Half of their credit losses came from these types of risky loans with ballooning monthly payments.

While both companies said they had enough resources to withstand the losses, many investors believe their financial cushions could wither away as defaults and foreclosures mount.

Many in Washington and on Wall Street hadn't expected Paulson to intervene unless the companies had trouble issuing debt to fund their operations.

This summer, Congress passed a plan to provide unlimited government loans to Fannie and Freddie and to purchase stock in the two companies if needed.

Critics say the open-ended nature of the rescue package could expose taxpayers to billions of dollars of potential losses.

Supporters, however, argue the Bush administration had little choice but to support Fannie and Freddie, which together hold or guarantee $5 trillion in mortgages — almost half the nation's total.

Representatives of Fannie and Freddie declined to comment on the government assistance plan.

Treasury spokeswoman Brookly McLaughlin said officials "have been in regular communications" with Fannie and Freddie, but refused to comment saying, "We are not going to comment on rumors."

Concern has been growing that a government rescue of Fannie and Freddie could not only wipe out common stockholders, but also be costly for scores of investment, banking and insurance companies that hold billions of dollars in their preferred shares.

Paulson has been in contact in recent weeks with foreign governments that hold billions of dollars of Fannie and Freddie debt to reassure them that the United States recognizes the importance of the two companies.

The two companies had nearly $36 billion in preferred shares outstanding as of June 30, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Mudd, the son of TV anchor Roger Mudd, was elevated to Fannie Mae's top post in December 2004 when chief executive Franklin Raines and chief financial officer Timothy Howard were swept out of office in an accounting scandal. Syron was named Freddie Mac's CEO in 2003, replacing former chief Gregory Parseghian, who was ousted in after being implicated in accounting irregularities.

Mary, to be clear, I never said people who are not US Citizens don't have a right to say what they wish about our political system. However, it is my choice not to debate the politics of my Country with people who are not US Citizens. I couldn't care less who likes that or not.

Jill, I am sorry you took what I said personally. It was not meant for you [did not use your name] It was only an opinion I hold to be worthy of being said because I do know our government has it's nose in other countries business and feel it should tend to it's own and then we would be in a lot less trouble and better off. To know that Bush borrowed money from China to give a hand out to American ciitizens in hopes of it improving the economy is, in my opinion, another horrible mistake. If mistakes keep on being made, I truly feel for the upcoming generations. This is not about you, it is about our beloved country and people in it and the world.

Mary, to be clear, I never said people who are not US Citizens don't have a right to say what they wish about our political system. However, it is my choice not to debate the politics of my Country with people who are not US Citizens. I couldn't care less who likes that or not.

Ok, my sister in law was born in Germany - She is like you said you are - You could not pick her out of a line up. She did have a Green Card for several years. You are right it is NOT EASY - but, she did become a United States Citizen. So, my concerns and maybe I don't understand ( and how could I when my sister-in-law did it). Why you have lived here 9 years and you still have not taken the test, etc. - everything that is REQUIRED to become a US Citizen?
Lisa - I explained that. Because I knew someone would decide to hold that over my head and make a point of it. minimor also explained. It is right there in the RED part you quoted.

By reading your quotes - that I highlighted in RED - if you mean what you say. Then I have to say I see where Jill is coming from. Why would I want to " debate" an issue if you do not care enough to become a USA Citizen?
Once again - I explained that. Did you actually read what I said or just want to believe as you wish? I am sorry if I sound a bit frustrated - but to be honest I have felt rather insulted and sneered at in this thread. You do not have to be a US citizen to take part in a discussion about the issues. Many of those issues affect people outside of the US... but some feel that only US citizens should be able to discuss or debate such things. That is rather short-sighted and extremely jingoistic IMO, but, for instance Jill is entitled to her opinion even if she stated it rather rudely. Even many of her fellow US citizens were appalled at that rudeness - both on the thread and in PMs.

I also can understand talking and discussing issues with people from other countries - because they do NOT have a choice. They live in another country. You live here in the United States of America !
Please excuse me - but I do not understand this comment - what difference does it make where someone lives if they want to discuss a subject? How do people in other countries "not have a choice" when it comes to discussing issues? *confused*

If you care as much as you say you do - than I hope you can explain in a way that I can understand WHY you can not become a US Citizen. Because my sister in law did it - so, why can't you? I guess that bothers me the most.
Lisa - for the third time - I did explain it. minimor explained it. The thread seems to be turning into an Inquisition - provide your paperwork please or you are not worthy of having an opinion or joining in the debate/discussion!!

For the last time - I will try again. Althoug I am not sure why this has turned into an investigation about me...
default_no.gif

My type of visa can not be used as a simple process to citizenship. Or even a green card. You seem to think they are just handed out willy-nilly... but no. There is a lottery for them - and 50,000 green cards are awarded annually - but Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom etc. are on the list of countries that are not allowed to take part. So you must then do it the long bureaucratic way and jump through all the hoops - and it can take many years. It is not easy... it is not fun. In order to start the citizenship process, you must be a legal resident of green card status for 5 years. My visa does not have that green card status - thus the 9 years I have been here do not count. In my case, there is no way to start the citizenship process. None.

And now that I have had to explain my personal business to those who doubt and sneer and are bothered... could we please get back on topic?

sigh.gif

*frustrated*

Latest posts

Back