Billy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd do the rabies titer. I do on mine every year. Have you had him checked for Cushing's? That might be something to check too.
Please don't ever think you needed to take better care of Dapper Dan, he got the best care and had the best home a horse could have. He was a very lucky little horse to have had you as his person. Billy is too!
I agree with Cayuse and Dapper Dan knows that and so does Billy♥️

Billy got a clean bill of health today. Fecal was clean. The vet will call me with the results of the blood panel.
I took him to the elevator first to be weighed. Yay, down 30#! Gives me incentive to keep on with the diet agenda. He needs to lose at least 20# more.
He enjoyed being out and about. The big semi trucks didn't bother him at all. Wheat harvest is going on an it is a bumper year! Happy farmers!

Attachments

• june elevator.jpg
    june elevator.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • june truck.jpg
    june truck.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 0
  • June weight.jpg
    June weight.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Looking good Billy!
I love his halter, is it leather? Where did you get it?
I got it from Ozark 20 years ago. I don't use it for every day, but keep it for when he travels. It's held up well. Some oil once a year or so, and I did use husband's Harley Davidson black leather stuff on it once. Not sure they still offer this halter.

Two weeks ago I took away his 1T BOSS and 1/4 C oat groats. I was worried he would not eat his joint supplement and vitamin pellets without the grain, but he licked the bowl clean overnight. I'm having trouble giving up my belief in the value of the two grains, but if it helps him lose weight, then they will have to go to the bird feeders. I am continuing his handful of alfalfa, though.

Got his bloodwork back today and everything looks good. Red and white count a hair below the normal range, but insulin, liver and kidneys all look great. Also a little low on potassium--not sure where he could get a little extra of that. Maybe he is not getting enough salt? The blood count could be due to age, or just the random day. Anyway, he is very healthy!
Also took my remaining chicken in. The bobcat got all the rest. She can never get out of her pen now, so likely we'll be overrun with grasshoppers. Anyway, she has been limping and I can't find anything. The vet could not either, but gave her a shot of antiinflammatory and sent some home for us to give her. $91 for the chicken visit.

Aww, hope the chicken will be OK. Didn't know you could give them an anti inflammatory! Glad Billy's bloodwork is good, whenever my guys get bloodwork they are always slightly low in the red and white count too. The vet just shrugs, says it happens.
We have bobcats in the area, they get pretty close to the barn sometimes. One took a nap in the field once!

Aww, hope the chicken will be OK. Didn't know you could give them an anti inflammatory! Glad Billy's bloodwork is good, whenever my guys get bloodwork they are always slightly low in the red and white count too. The vet just shrugs, says it happens.
We have bobcats in the area, they get pretty close to the barn sometimes. One took a nap in the field once!
Interesting that your guys' bloodwork also shows low in red and white. I looked on the supplement that I give Billy and it does contain potassium. Silly me, of course it does not come from salt!
Chicken no better this morning yet; wish me luck giving the medicene to her orally this evening!

Billy got a clean bill of health today. Fecal was clean. The vet will call me with the results of the blood panel.
I took him to the elevator first to be weighed. Yay, down 30#! Gives me incentive to keep on with the diet agenda. He needs to lose at least 20# more.
He enjoyed being out and about. The big semi trucks didn't bother him at all. Wheat harvest is going on an it is a bumper year! Happy farmers!
Behind catching up on this thread. Our crops are barely in the ground, and won't be harvested until August, and some into September. We don't thaw out some years until Mother's Day; but wheat can be seeded in March or April, as long as the snow is gone.

Two weeks ago I took away his 1T BOSS and 1/4 C oat groats. I was worried he would not eat his joint supplement and vitamin pellets without the grain, but he licked the bowl clean overnight. I'm having trouble giving up my belief in the value of the two grains, but if it helps him lose weight, then they will have to go to the bird feeders. I am continuing his handful of alfalfa, though.
Maybe one bit of information will help you give up BOSS. While it can give a shiny coat, it's marketed to birds, so not tested for aflatoxins.

Latest posts

Back