McCain - his vice-presidential choice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
I am not surprised in the least....
default_wacko.png

"McCain apparently is making a concerted effort to reach out to Sen. Hillary Clinton's former supporters who may be unhappy with the choice of Sen. Barack Obama as the Democratic nominee. "

"She's exactly who this country needs to help me fight the same old Washington politics of me first and country second," the presumptive Republican nominee said at a Dayton, Ohio, rally of about 15,000 supporters, who welcomed the surprise pick of the relatively unknown politician with cheers and flags."

"Palin made her name in part by backing tough ethical standards for politicians. During the first legislative session after her election, her administration passed a state ethics law overhaul.

Nevertheless, she is under investigation for her firing of a state official, Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. She has been instructed to hand over documents and recordings of telephone conversations as part of the probe, which grew out of allegations she sacked Monegan for refusing to fire her former brother-in-law from the state police.

Palin acknowledged that a member of her staff made a call to a trooper in which the staffer suggested he was speaking for the governor.

Palin has admitted that the call could be interpreted as pressure to fire state trooper Mike Wooten, who was locked in a child-custody battle with Palin's sister."

My first impression of this, as an outsider" "a smart and sly old fox".

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I didn't see anyone on here attacking the Democratic vice-presidential choice. I thought I would open this thread to find positive things being said. I'm not really surprised though. I am not certain what I think about the choice of a woman for that office. However, from the brief intro done on the noon news, it sounds like her beliefs are probably in line with mine. I'll have to do some more research. Also, "under investigation" means just that. It does not mean she is guilty of anything. In this country you are supposed to be considered innocent until proven guilty. I am excited that she is a mother, hunter, pro-offshore oil-drilling, anti-abortion, etc. That all sounds great to me!
default_smile.png

I'm mostly amused that after spending close to a year harping on Obama's lack of experience, that McCain went with someone even less experienced with Obama.

I'm still researching, but her opinions do seem very in line with McCain's, or even a little further to the right than his.

I am not surprised in the least....
default_wacko.png

"McCain apparently is making a concerted effort to reach out to Sen. Hillary Clinton's former supporters who may be unhappy with the choice of Sen. Barack Obama as the Democratic nominee. "

"She's exactly who this country needs to help me fight the same old Washington politics of me first and country second," the presumptive Republican nominee said at a Dayton, Ohio, rally of about 15,000 supporters, who welcomed the surprise pick of the relatively unknown politician with cheers and flags."

"Palin made her name in part by backing tough ethical standards for politicians. During the first legislative session after her election, her administration passed a state ethics law overhaul.

Nevertheless, she is under investigation for her firing of a state official, Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. She has been instructed to hand over documents and recordings of telephone conversations as part of the probe, which grew out of allegations she sacked Monegan for refusing to fire her former brother-in-law from the state police.

Palin acknowledged that a member of her staff made a call to a trooper in which the staffer suggested he was speaking for the governor.

Palin has admitted that the call could be interpreted as pressure to fire state trooper Mike Wooten, who was locked in a child-custody battle with Palin's sister."

My first impression of this, as an outsider" "a smart and sly old fox".
Wow, someone had those statements "Locked and Loaded", eh? That didn't take no time at all to fire 'em off like that.
default_wacko.png

crponies, good video. Thanks so much for sharing.
default_wub.png

Me too Jill!
default_yes.gif
Although admittedly, I was secretly holding out for hopes with Condoleezza Rice. I know she wasn't even considering herself, but still...I was hoping there would be a miracle somehow.
default_biggrin.png
Still though, I am very excited about this choice too.
default_aktion033.gif

Tanya, that would have been wonderful!!! She is an amazingly sharp person and I like her a lot!!!

Wow, I didn't see anyone on here attacking the Democratic vice-presidential choice. I thought I would open this thread to find positive things being said. I'm not really surprised though. I am not certain what I think about the choice of a woman for that office. However, from the brief intro done on the noon news, it sounds like her beliefs are probably in line with mine. I'll have to do some more research. Also, "under investigation" means just that. It does not mean she is guilty of anything. In this country you are supposed to be considered innocent until proven guilty. I am excited that she is a mother, hunter, pro-offshore oil-drilling, anti-abortion, etc. That all sounds great to me!
default_smile.png
I agree 100% Jayne!

She is not an unknown to republicans that watch their party. She also has been pushing for fuel from Alaska and other resources to give some reprieve to all. Maybe if she said to check the air in your car tires or commit plagerism then she would be liked more? Look at her record and the woman as a whole and I believe that speaks volumes that she will be a fantastic vp.

I am also delighted on McCains choice! My son who is a Alaska State Trooper is also on board with Sarah Palin. From those that live in Alaska and know her ethics etc that I have talked to today are elated. She has done much for Alaska starting from her time on many commissions and thru to the Governor's office. Please read up on this lady before you pass judgement. I believe the jury is still out on the firing of the commissioner and the reasons.

I find it very interesting, and I am not taking sides here at all, that, and the above I posted is on "CNN" website, all of it and not something I went around putting together, that McCain would do this. That is why my comment was "I am not surprised..." Lets not hide our head in the sand here... he chose a "woman" to try and sway the people that wanted Hillary to be the presidential candidate, hoping that he can sway them to come over because Palin is a woman. As I said it's a smart move on his part but very transparent. Personally if I was an American and a Hillary Clinton supporter I would feel it demeaning as a woman that he would even think that I would jump so quickly parties just because he has a woman running as his vice-presidential candiate. I would hope either Obama or McCain would realize that they will have to win their votes by alot more in-depth reasons. I may be wrong but i doubt McCain will sway those that are thinking of voting democrat to swing over to the republicans just because he has named Palin and that women are so gullible as he may think. I am thrilled that those of you are republicans are happy with his choice but you would have voted for him no matter who he would have chosen if you are true McCain supporters. I am sure that the true democrats won't be swayed by his choice either. Going to be an interesting time for sure to see what happens.

We in Canada will more than likely be going to the polls as well in October but our election will be very dull compared to what is going on in the U.S. I am a liberal, usually and have never voted conservative and this time around I dislike both parties. Either side will have to work very hard to convince to vote for them but i will be looking at each candidate himself stands for, not for the theatric and badmouthing by both parties which is all part an parcel in any political arena.

I'm very happy with McCain's choice. I would have been more excited had it been Condie but it wasn't.

The attacks sure didn't take long in coming did they?

Guess what she has MORE public office experience than Obama does, and on top of that, any of you mothers out there tell me being a mother isn't one of the hardest jobs in the world, and that, that wouldn't qualify a woman to be VP.

Doesnt this make you mad that he chose her soley for the chance of getting Hillarys votes? As a woman, that would entirely tick me off. He attacks Obama for not having much experience, I know she has some more, but not much, isnt that hipocrytical of him? What happened to people holding office because they are the best choice and not because they can bring votes?

I have nothing to say about whether she can do the job or not, I dont know enough about her to form an opinion. I am just miffed about the reason for her being chosen.

She is more than just another woman...she is also very big on family values, the right to life and conservative values. She represents the more traditional republicans for the mostpart in her voting record--except that she IS a woman andis balanced enough to have voted FOR gay rights. So--she pulls in many of the traditional christians, she pulls in women with her ability to have a strong career and be a mom, she also pulls in the more modern conservatives in regards to gay rights. She is strong, balanced, capable and much much more than just another pretty face. I think she is a huge risk...but one that might pay off!

I think he just caused himself to lose...
default_laugh.png
Are we still friends Jill? LOL. Just kidding.

I watched that video, read a bit about off-shore drilling for oil, her anti-abortion views, I can't believe anyone could think off-shore driling is a good idea?? . It made me really really sad. Like to the point of tears. It made me lose a little bit of hope for this world. I'm not trying to start an argument here, just voicing my opinion.
default_no.gif

I don't normally voice politics on an open forum..........but let's just say that the VP choices have suddenly made this a very interesting election.
default_wink.png

I knew next to nothing about her before today, some of what I am hearing I like and some I don't but that's pretty normal for any politician.
default_smile.png

McCain is obviously catering to the female vote, but I think he's smart enough to know he isn't going to take all of Hillary's supporters who are ideologically miles apart from Pulin. It's a questionable choice to me because I'm not sure of her electability. She may be brilliant, and highly capable, but she is also largely unknown at this point and McCain may have been wiser - and more electable - with a higher profile VP. I hope he can pull it off - time will tell.

Jan

Latest posts

Back