McCain - his vice-presidential choice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you rather have someone more like us everyday people with everyday problems running the country, or more like them...politicians that have no idea what it is like in the real world. She started off as city council, went on to mayor & governor. Her son is going to Iraq, my son just returned from Iraq, I like that because it personalizes this war to her like it has never done these other Presidents or VP's. But, as this world is becoming more & more muslim & we know how they view women, I wonder what it will be like for a woman in power whether it be her or Hillary. I guess Condalisa Rice has done ok with it, so I can only hope.

But, as this world is becoming more & more muslim & we know how they view women, I wonder what it will be like for a woman in power whether it be her or Hillary. I guess Condalisa Rice has done ok with it, so I can only hope.
I honestly don't care how they feel BUT I do know they're not stupid. Muslim women will see how we in the Western world treat women and value women - If you were a dog in a cage and saw other dogs that were loose and playing on the beach, wouldn't you want to join them
default_wink.png
default_new_shocked.gif
and Muslim men...well hahah suck it up guys, she may become the VP of AMERICA
default_laugh.png

It's hard to find someone who you agree 100% with and I'm 100% in support of pro-choice, but I feel this candidate has more going for her than any of the others and if I continue to feel that way the more I learn about her then she'll get my vote. John wasn't going to get it before she came along.

An unwed pregnant 17 year old is NOT a good thing. It's a terrible thing. But, the biggest issue I have with most politicians is that they all live in ivory towers, clueless to the "real world". Not SP, she lives like the rest of us where...no matter how hard you try, sometimes s**t happens
default_wink.png

I agree. I'm tired of people trying to put these politicians up on a pedestal........ This woman hasn't been in politics for all that long, in the grand scheme of things. It makes me feel a bit assured that she has been living a life not unlike many......

Her son has been in the military and to Iraq.........so she knows the stress that many other mothers are experiencing....... Now we hear that her 17 year old daughter is pregnant. Something tells me that there are millions of other parents (who are not necessarily "bad parents", who will relate to her situation.)

I don't see her having affairs and lying to keep them a secret. I don't see her breaking any laws and trying to duck them. I see her as a mother dealing with a lot of what other mothers are going through in this society....... GIVE THE WOMAN A BREAK.

Last edited by a moderator:
. There are a lot of teen age pregnancies but that doesn't mean their momma was a bad momma. That means the child made a mistake in judgement. She is pregnant and they are being responsible about the pregnancy. I am a pro choice person but I have to admire that they stand next to their morals and have not terminated the pregnancy.

However what if the scenario was different? No one knows if it was the daughters choice to continue the pregnancy or not. What if just what if it was not? Would you then think of this same woman as wonderful and admirable?

I was in between to be honest not sure where to vote but I am not sure I can ever support in any way someone who does not believe in a womans right to choose. And for the record Carin never say never I will never want to admit being part of something that could lead to the downward spiral of women's rights in this country period! So thanks McCain for making my mind up for me!
We can not live on "What Ifs" You can "What If" yourself blue in the face. "What If" is not a reality.

I have yet to reply to any of these threads regarding politics, but just want to say "Thankyou Jill"
default_aktion033.gif
. I wait your reply on all these threads as you can write/speak much more elequently than I and you get your point (and mine) across much easier than I ever could. You are a very intellegent respectable woman, so thanks for taking the words out of my mouth and the typing from my fingers...I think you need to run for office
default_wink.png

We can not live on "What Ifs" You can "What If" yourself blue in the face. "What If" is not a reality.

Well for me I would like the President and VP to actually think about the "What If" when making decisions in fact IMO it should be a huge part in their decision making for our country. Never looking at the "What If" can lead to a very harsh reality for many Americans.

Well for me I would like the President and VP to actually think about the "What If" when making decisions in fact IMO it should be a huge part in their decision making for our country. Never looking at the "What If" can lead to a very harsh reality for many Americans.
I believe that, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the statement regarding "what if" was "What if it [was not Bristols' (Palins' daughter)] wasn't her choice?" I took this to mean that Bristol was told she could not terminate her pregnancy based on what she was told, presumedly by her family, to do. If this is the case, then I believe it gives her mother and family some credibility - they are assuming the responsiblity and consequences of a decision that was made. They aren't brushing a teenage pregnancy under the rug and terminating it as I've seen and heard of others doing as a form of birth control. Did Palins' daughter make a good choice? Probably not, but that IS NOT for me to decide! I will NOT refer to her pregnancy as a mistake as I don't believe any child should be referred to as a "mistake". I will refer to it as a decision that has consequences - the same reality that each of us face every day. The fact that her mother stands behind her is quite a statement. I may not agree with everything this campaign has to offer, but THIS is one area that they are far above in my book.

I have yet to reply to any of these threads regarding politics, but just want to say "Thankyou Jill"
default_aktion033.gif
. I wait your reply on all these threads as you can write/speak much more elequently than I and you get your point (and mine) across much easier than I ever could. You are a very intellegent respectable woman, so thanks for taking the words out of my mouth and the typing from my fingers...I think you need to run for office
default_wink.png
Thank you so much, Sonya! I really respect your input and insight in so many discussions over the years. I appreciate that big compliment!!!
default_wub.png

I agree, in part, that those looking to lead a country should consider all the "what if's" in "Their" decision making process. However, in the context of this particular question of "what if", was in the context of "what if the shoe was on the other foot", and asked of the public in general for their opinion of a candidate....not in the context of a candidate themselves and their decision making capabilities.

Along the that leg of topic though...with regard to a candidates decision making capabilities.... Obama has shown a severe weakness in this regard, with records showing his inability to do so....consistently. He either doesn't or tends to hesitate to make a critical decision with self admittance to such in those "Saddleback Forum" videos posted on another thread. I believe he stated this in the Part 2 video of his responses to inquiries. With that shoe on the other foot... Palin has shown great strength, where when things need to be done, she does not hesitate to make those critical choices. Of course she weighs her thinking intelligently, but when coming right down to making her decisions, she does so emphatically, and then stands behind them and sees them through to actual results.

Personally, with a son of my own currently serving in Iraq, I want someone in office with that kind of CONFIDENCE in their capabilities to make critical decisions that could potentially jeopardize the situations over there. Obama, has not, and still does not show this kind of confidence...at least not that I've seen.

With regard to the "Teen Pregnancy" and the morality of such.... I find it rather ironic that the general "Liberalisms" of Hollywood can go an revere this "fact of life" in their movies and on TV shows, etc...but let it actually happen in "real life" and all of a sudden it should be shunned.

Yes, I agree, as most do of Christian faith, that teen pregnancies, while an unscrupulous, and life altering, choice of a teen, it was not an "unforgivable" one. Love the sinner, not the sin, so to speak. Same as any of the rest of us who make humanly errors in judgement throughout our lifetimes. We raise our children to the best of our abilities, and strive to instill such moralistic values best we can. However, when it comes right down to making that choice "to do or not to do" anything.... it is theirs alone to make. We can only hope and pray that when times come for them to make such choices, that those values will weigh on them in such a way to make wise choices. Unfortunately, this is not always the case...hence, teen pregnancies, teens on drugs, teens driving while drunk, and the list goes on and on. Parents cannot be with their teens for their every waking moment and make each and every decision FOR THEM, and then expect them to suddenly become responsible adults at the age of adulthood. Teens must learn to make choices on their own, and then fully expect to live with the lifetime of consequence to such choices. Parents can only hope to then also be there for them through the aftermath of their choices...good or bad.

I believe that, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the statement regarding "what if" was "What if it [was not Bristols' (Palins' daughter)] wasn't her choice?" I took this to mean that Bristol was told she could not terminate her pregnancy based on what she was told, presumedly by her family, to do. If this is the case, then I believe it gives her mother and family some credibility - they are assuming the responsiblity and consequences of a decision that was made. They aren't brushing a teenage pregnancy under the rug and terminating it as I've seen and heard of others doing as a form of birth control. Did Palins' daughter make a good choice? Probably not, but that IS NOT for me to decide! I will NOT refer to her pregnancy as a mistake as I don't believe any child should be referred to as a "mistake". I will refer to it as a decision that has consequences - the same reality that each of us face every day. The fact that her mother stands behind her is quite a statement. I may not agree with everything this campaign has to offer, but THIS is one area that they are far above in my book.
Thank you Adam, this is what I was trying to say as well, but yours is much more to the point in eloquence.
default_wink.png

My meaning of What IFs are if you sit and say...Well what if she told her daughter it was ok and what if she did this and that. I'm not saying to not look at life that way when you are making a decision. What I am saying is when you "What If" someones actions to death when you do not know the context. THAT is where you can "what if" all you want and never know what really happened.

Just like here, when you read something you put it into YOUR context which may not be the context that the author meant it to be. Just like my last post.....

Actually Tapestry Minis perhaps it is you not understanding the context of things.

My point is simply this I can not and will not choose to vote for someone who is against a women's right to choose. I do not know how her daughter felt no one does but her daughter. However it is not a risk I am willing to take for my own daughter, sisters, friends.

Now that said I realize many others are very much pro-life. We will never change each others minds nor do I have any intention of trying here on this fourm.

The debate between Pro Choice or Pro Life was never a part of my point. So again putting it in your own context. My point was simple when something happens when you do not know the person or circumstances and chastising them in a "WHAT IF" scenario to me is pointless and just a way to get everyone in a tizzy over something you don't know.

Just that simple

Country first? Today, it appears that Gov. Palin was a member of a party in the 1990's who was pushing for a vote to allow Alaska to secede from the U.S. Maybe she was just in support of the vote, not the action? Still, it makes me wonder about her commitment to our country.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...rs-of-frin.html

Excerpt from above link:

"Members of 'Fringe' Alaskan Independence Party Say Palin Was a Member in 90s

September 01, 2008 6:52 PM

The campaign of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., likes to herald the independence of its new running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so independent, she was once a member of their party, which, since the 1970s, has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.

And while McCain's motto -- as seen in a new TV ad -- is "Country First," the AIP's motto is the exact opposite -- "Alaska First -- Alaska Always.""

I guess that wouldn't totally surprise me. She obviously is frustrated with many things in the federal government as it now is. However, people do change their views on things sometimes so maybe she no longer supports such a vote/idea as Alaska seceding (isn't that what the Civil War was about in part anyhow? Well, not Alaska but state's rights in general to secede).

The debate between Pro Choice or Pro Life was never a part of my point. So again putting it in your own context. My point was simple when something happens when you do not know the person or circumstances and chastising them in a "WHAT IF" scenario to me is pointless and just a way to get everyone in a tizzy over something you don't know.
Just that simple

Obviously you like to hear you are right. Only your point counts even when you question others. So here let me make your day.

You are right. Have a lovely day!
default_rolleyes.gif
default_unsure.png
default_no.gif

Just that simple!

Well, I believe that a lot of people have lost focus about things that SHOULD matter in a presidential race just to undermind a vp candidate. To me that speaks volumes. I just hope that people look at what REALLY matters for a presidential candidate and their VP. To make an EDUCATED decision you must look at both candidates. You can not just say we had Republican and I don't like where it went so I am voting democrat and expect people to take you serious. Or at least I can not take someone serious that is doing that.

Fran

You're right, Fran. People pick up on short "sound bites" that might sound good at first glace but when you actually think a little harder, maybe not so much!

I found it quite interesting this morning when a woman was interviewed and she was mentioning that she was a Hillary supporter and of course the next question by the reporter was will you be voting for Obama and she said "no" she would be voting for McCain because of Palin. The reporter than said well their is quite a difference between Hillary's policies and stances on issues and Palin's and she said "yes, I know.... but I am dissapointed by Obama didn't take women seriously in this country and bring Hillary in as VP.

I thought the point of elections was to vote for the best person, whoever, based on your beliefs and the polciies you wish to see implemented not based on your anger because a woman was or wasn't brought into the mix and vice versa, if would men in this situation wouldn't vote for a woman just because or because of sexist views (they run both ways) or race, or religion or....

i guess what is most important to me in elections is to vote for a candidate that represents the policies I want brought into force.

As far as Palin's daughtger it should have absolutely NO BEARING on this at all and I pray they leave her alone, people and media. It is none of anyones business that she is pregnant and what her decisions are. This is a "family" matter not a public circus as is happening. How sad.

Latest posts

Back