Mary's Pregnancy & Foaling Thread- SHE FOALED 5/22~~~FILLY~~~!!! New PICS pg 56

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to check in to see how Mary is coming along. So glad you got your test strips and that you can get something out to test! I think she is a week away or so just looking at her udder, then again I just had a mare foal with hardly any udder, but it was much more hair free and darker than Mary's. She looks good though and is going through the motions leading to foaling. Hang in there and take a nap as you need to
default_yes.gif

Just wanted to check in to see how Mary is coming along. So glad you got your test strips and that you can get something out to test! I think she is a week away or so just looking at her udder, then again I just had a mare foal with hardly any udder, but it was much more hair free and darker than Mary's. She looks good though and is going through the motions leading to foaling. Hang in there and take a nap as you need to
default_yes.gif
Her udder is really weird, because when she first starting developing it it was tiny and then within a week it was huge, then two days after that it goes back down and stays down for the last five days. I'm really hoping it goes back up and she develops the typical text book udder to help me decipher her foaling time
default_smile.png
;)

I'm really hoping she has it on the 12th or 13th, but I guess any day will do
default_smile.png
it would be nice if it was sometime in the next week to ten days- I've only been doing nightly checks for like three days and I'm pretty tired.

Tonight I'm just going to check her a couple times and go back to sleep- she is holding that baby in through this super moon.

Congrats again on your two new colts- they are both amazing! I'm really hoping Mary has something that looks like Rowdy with two blue eyes but has her conformation- but I will take anything as long as it is healthy
default_smile.png

I wish one of you were closer so you could come see her in person and give me your opinion!

But- I am so happy with the foaltime strips! They are so easy to use and read, and it is really helpful and it gives me reassurance. I know pH can drop quickly, but with her being at a 7.2 I think we are safe sleeping tonight. I really hope it tests somewhere in the 6's tomorrow
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok here's an update!! She is definitely dropping in pH.

Yesterday it was a definite 7.2 and this morning it is 7.0 with a hint of 6.8
default_smile.png
I'm going to test her again at dinner time, and I'll take some updated pics then too.

I still don't think her hooha is ready- it looks nothing like the mares that have foaled looked like. Her udder is about the same, maybe a little bigger.

She is only going tonne allowed to be turned out for a couple hours max- then she is going back into the dry lot to do some shopping! Haha
default_smile.png

She is starting to get fed up with me checking her hooha and udder. She has begun swishing her tail and moving her legs when I check. Maybe she found out I was posting the pics online....haha ;)

Lets go mary We need to start seeing these foals! You mares are holding on way to tight! You'll feel better once its out times a tickin!
default_impatient.jpg

Lets go mary We need to start seeing these foals! You mares are holding on way to tight! You'll feel better once its out times a tickin!
default_impatient.jpg
Haha
default_smile.png
I will relay your message on to Mary, then send one to Lily for you! Haha
default_smile.png

LOL....this has dragged on to long it has to end eventually. I think im safe to sleep tonight lilys milk is still thick and sticky like honey but her bag went down today and no other real changes so we wait....and wait LOL

Mary is looking great
default_smile.png
I agree with the others maybe in the next week, but these mares seem to be having lots of fun in keeping us in suspence this year... how many days is she now?

Thanks Cassie, I hope she goes in the next week!

I'm not sure when she was bred as i didnt own her then, and the previous owners pasture bred- all I know is she was turned out with Rowdy June 1st, probably about a week after she lost her foal.

I've been using June 15th as an estimated breeding date, and by that she is somewhere around the 330 day mark.

Just tested her milk again- its about the same, 6.8. She is definitely not liking me trying to squeeze her there though.

Everything else is looking the same...so we wait another day and see what the morning brings
default_smile.png

Personally, I'm hoping for a full udder and a swollen hooha- but that's just me. (if I said that anywhere else I would be a total perv, but you all know what I mean! Haha)
default_smile.png

Haha. I know, I always think what would people think if they got ahold of my phone, and scanned my pictures! Probably would want me arrested! Lol poor girls.

Alright ladies, I have had quite the day. It was long (still not over), hot, and very eventful.

First off, this morning I brought Murphy into a neurologist to see what he had to say. To him things are looking really good, but he said the only option from this point on is surgery- otherwise I will just have to watch and wait for Murphy to get worse and eventually be totally paralyzed.

The surgery is expensive, but not as much as the other vet quoted me. And, the neurologist does payment plans- so right now we are considering surgery. I just have to come up with 1/3 of the total cost before I can schedule it- and luckily I think I will have it by this weekend. Hopefully next Monday, Murphy will be in surgery getting all fixed up
default_smile.png
the neurologist gave me a 95% chance of full recovery- and that is good enough for me! Plus, part of the surgery involves removing the other discs even though they haven't ruptured, to eliminate the possibility of them rupturing in the future. Apparently my 6 year old mini dachshund is a perfect candidate. Keep your fingers crossed!

Now on the rest of my eventful day......after the four hours it took to get to the neurologist, see him and drive home, I was pretty exhausted.....and as soon as we pulled in the driveway I was in for a surprise!

I could hear Mary whinnying like CRAZY so I jumped out of the car before pulling all the way in the driveway and ran over to her. I was expecting to see a baby still in the birth sack and her totally distraught- BUT what I did see freaked me out even more!

..there was Mary, standing in a corner looking up the road....and Rowdy? Well, he was nowhere to be found! I immediately paniced and started running to the pasture that I put him in this morning- and I was in for another surprise!!

Backstory real quick- I put Rowdy in a one acre pen every morning so he can eat all the grass he wants and get some exercise. The gate is a dog kennel gate and has 2 latches, one on top and one on bottom. I always put a clip in the top latch so he can't open it with his nose- which he has tried to do.

Anyways, I get to the pen I put Rowdy in and the gate is WIDE OPEN!! I am one hundred percent, no I am one billion percent sure I closed the gate AND put the locking pin in the latch this morning. That only leaves one explanation- someone came onto our property and opened the gate and LET MY STALLION OUT!!! I have no idea who would have done it, why they would have done it or when they did it- he was probably out for at least 2 hours.

After I saw the gate open I paniced even more. Up the road behind our house is where Mary was acting like Rowdy went- and when I ran up there everyone was standing on the road looking down at our property. I was almost certain someone had hit him or something- but I couldn't find him anywhere.

So I run back down to the house and go over to the neighbors house- she has QH mares, so I'm thinking he ran over there to try and "get some" haha- but once again, I couldn't find him and my neighbor hadn't seen him.

At this point I figured he made his way to a road and was trotting down it somewhere- a mile or two away at least. Luckily my mom is in town so she started driving down all the streets looking for a mini stallion.

While she was doing that I went and got some grain, his halter and lead and started calling him. Then, out of nowhere, he pops up in our back field (about 6 acres and UNFENCED) and starts running and bucking around. The grass is taller than he is, so I'm not surprised I couldn't see him laying down out there! (I'm assuming he was laying down out there somewhere)

As soon as he saw me and I saw him, I called out his name and he came right up to me. He put his head down into the halter, almost like saying, "where have you been? Just take me home please."

I am so happy and totally relieved to have found him. That would have been horrible with any other outcome!

I am also so very proud of him. One, for staying near the house. Two, for coming when called and basically haltering himself. When I first got him he wouldn't let anyone touch his head, ears, feet, and he was incredibley hard to catch. Now, he is like my 350 pound, hooved puppy dog
default_smile.png

I can't take all the credit- I think his previous owners (not the ones I got him from, but the ones before that) did quite a bit of training with him. He seems to know commands, very good on a lunge line, and I've even got him to do some in hand jumping. I would love to think it was all from me just giving him more attention, but I've never trained a horse and he seems to just do whatever I am trying to get him to do.

I've been really trying to get him to trust me- and today proved that I am on the right direction. I couldn't be happier
default_smile.png

Lastly- at least for now, I still have a couple hours left in my day to fit in more excitement so there could be more to come- Mary's udder is twice as full as yesterday's, but has gone down some since this morning. She is still testing at a 7.0ish, so we still have some waiting to do. I will post pictures when I feed her dinner- her belly seems to have changed, and I want to hear what you all have to say about her hooha and udder.

Ok so the last one wasn't very crazy or exciting, but it was something. Haha
default_smile.png

Well, I'm off to take a nap before I do my other chores- then im going to buy some bike chains or something with LOCKS to prevent this from ever happening again.

I'll post pics later
default_smile.png

WOW what an eventful day you have had Ben, you poor thing!! I'm glad everything got sorted out in the end phew! that is one of my worst nightmares my horses getting out onto the road :s thank goodness it has never happened and touch wood it never will happen. now go take your nap and then please show us those piccies!! :D I can't wait to see how miss Mary is looking
default_smile.png

Goodness!!! I was so scared reading your post, but so happy everything worked out all right!!! It could also be that Rowdy is a bit of a Houdini -- I've had several here just like that and currently have two that can open ANY gate, any time. One lets himself back in the pasture after finding he can't get in the barn, and the other just meets me in my "work area". They never go outside the "big gate" -- even though they could probably open it if they wanted to. Luckily, they don't do it very often, and it drove me crazy for quite some time -- but I guess they just like visiting their friends in the other pasture areas.

Looking forward to an update on Mary.

And good news about Murphy. We're behind you whatever you choose to do!!!
That thought came to mind- so after I caught him I put him back in there and say down where he couldn't see me to see if he would/could escape. I sat there for almost an hour- ok I was only awake for half of it, but still haha- and he didn't even go near the gate. He has been turned out in that pasture about 50% of the time he gets turned out, and he has never escaped before- but it is a possibility.

I'm going to put him back in there tomorrow and observe for a couple hours and see- but so far I'm really thinking it was the work of an ***hole. There is a group of teenage kids that are always driving by (their parents must live on the hill behind us) blaring their music and parking on the corner of our property. I'm wondering if it was them, maybe a "practical joke" or something... I probably won't find out who it was, but as long as it doesn't happen again it doesn't matter to me.

I just have to finish uploading the pics to photobucket and then I will post them!

Ok here are the pictures! She had a nice brushing today and she really enjoyed it- almost as much as she needed it!

I'm going to have my friend come over tomorrow or Wednesday and help me clip her- most likely just he belly, but we will see how ambitious my friend is feeling. Haha
default_smile.png

We will start with a casual shot
default_smile.png

03d56798.jpg

2628238d.jpg

cd56c93c.jpg

41dc8e82.jpg

4a09514c.jpg

She wouldn't let me get a picture of her Udder from the bottom, but it is a little bigger than yesterday- and lopsided- but still has a ways to go.

Going to test her at dinner time to see if we are dropping in pH at all. I'll let you know
default_smile.png

So what do ya think?

Geez, I was sitting on the edge of my chair reading about your day! So glad that everything turned out well. And I'm happy to hear about Murphy's good news. He might not think so. LOL But it will be in his best interest.

If Mary's udder is still lop-sided, I'd say you have a few days to go.

Oh I forgot to mention her pH at dinner time..

I don't know if this is possible or not, but it seems to have gone up to around 7.4. I could have been slightly off with my other readings, or with this one because I barely got anything so it was hard to tell what color the . was. Haha!

I'm beginning to think the worst....she has caught on to everyone's games and now she has formulated a plan- an evil plan....A plan to keep me waiting, and waiting, and make me think it's happening and then backtrack a week...ugh.

I hope she has it soon! (famous last words haha)

Glad to hear your day got better! M ary is in cahoots with the rest of the ladies, huh? They are ALL playing games with us! Ugh!

wow Mary is looking really really well and is progressing beautifully
default_smile.png
:)

I know you want this baby now Ben, but Mary is cooking that little foal to perfection for you and you just have to be patient, I bet even now she is painting a gorgeous white blaze down that chestnut face for you
default_thumbup.gif
I would say she could go another two weeks, especially given the fact that her PH has jumped back up again.
default_thumbdown.gif
I'm hoping I'm wrong you must be exhausted! but I think that tummy has to drop some more and that udder has to fill more and teats seperate... now she could foal without much of an udder, but I know I would prefer a huge udder to feed that lovely little baby that she is cooking
default_yes.gif
we are here with you Ben and feel your pain, we have all had a trickster mare before I'm sure (including me and I have only had one foal LOL)
default_whistling.gif

good lcuk and safe foaling when she does go for you
default_smile.png

Oh Cassie, I just know you are right
default_smile.png
haha.

I'm fine with waiting two weeks or longer, as long as she doesn't burn the blaze off the baby
default_smile.png

It's do crazy how her udder was so big within a week of developing it, and now three weeks later it is small again.

I guess we will just take this day by day and hope for quick progress, but be content with whatever happens and however long this takes
default_smile.png

Oh Cassie, I just know you are right
default_smile.png
haha.

I'm fine with waiting two weeks or longer, as long as she doesn't burn the blaze off the baby
default_smile.png

It's do crazy how her udder was so big within a week of developing it, and now three weeks later it is small again.

I guess we will just take this day by day and hope for quick progress, but be content with whatever happens and however long this takes
default_smile.png
hehe, I know how hard it is to wait for your first baby to come.

note to Mary (keep the baby at the right temperature please we want loud markings and a beautiful blaze ) ta muchly.

it seems that ALOT of mares are doing this crazy up down with the udder. generally, mares take a month to bag up... and your mare has started that process so TECHNICALLY (if she goes by the book) she should start doing some good increases in that udder ready for that baby to come very soon
default_smile.png

OH Shucks Ben I was on the edge of my chair frightened to read on
default_ohnoes.jpg
As Cassie said it is everyone's nightmare for their mini to get out on the road. I am so so so happy that all is well and your little man is home and safe. I had a stallion that would let himself out of his stable and all the other boys too, each day after lunch we would return to the stables to find all the boys playing out in the field
default_thumbdown.gif
These were stallions of all ages so it was potentially dangerous. Well we called the police who told us that because it was private property we should install a camera. OMG I was so embarrassed to see my stallion letting himself out and then going and letting the others out, the strangest thing was that he only let the boys and never the mares out.

That is such good news about Murphy and as Diane said, whatever you choose to do we will stand by you.

Now we get to Miss Mary, she is progressing nicely but I would guestimate at least another 2 weeks.
default_new_shocked.gif
Sorry Ben but she is still baking.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back