Late November foal, or will she pop in Jan 2008??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is kinda weird. I dont exactally know why they do it...
default_wacko.png

Nope, I'm still saying not for another week- Jan 5th to 7th or so....

I say she has 5-10 days to go as well. Those teats need to point straight down and fill up. They are definitely getting closer though.

The mounting thing, well, not uncommon here at all. I have mares in season that mount. I also have mares that when they are bred will mount other mares.

I will be curious what the vet says?

How is her milk looking? Is it getting stickier?

my girl was like a jersey cow before she had hers, like 2-3 times bigger, so relax, the moment you forget about it, she will have the baby, but only when you are not thinking about it. she will be fine. breathe, in, out, breathe. just pop in a movie , a really long movie:OKinteresting , but honestly, you have at least a week or two , good luck, I will keep watching for this post.

Hi,

I am new to the forum. Got on today and read all of your postings and watched the pictures. Makes me want to start foaling season!! My first are arriving in March.

Very pretty mare. Looking forward to seeing what you get, but looks like she will not foal till sometime towards the middle of January.

Now I am getting excited as if I were expecting a foal any day, but will not have to loose any sleep over this one. LOL

Lol, love the name "Waiting For Rayne" as well.... got a few choices like "Aboutime", "Its Rayned", lol.......... so much for "November Rayne" huh? Lol.
default_biggrin.png

If a filly i'll call her 'Summer Rayne".
default_yes.gif

Her last owner has just seen the pics i've sent her & said thats the biggest her udder has ever been, she's amazed.

Now, going by a 330 day pregnancy (& not the 342 days like on a Foaling Calculator), then she'd have 17 days left, as she's 313 days.
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What length is a mini's gestation? 330 days or 342 days?

Rayne's 314 days..... well if she is due the later date.
default_biggrin.png

Pic from today, can her belly get any bigger???
default_unsure.png

new_29thdec.jpg

Not just that, but she's displaying extreme stallion behaviour to my Arab Pony filly thats in season. Sass is trying to mount her, squealing, doing everything a stallion does. Geez! Something i've never seen her do before.
Bet she's carrying a colt. When I've seen that behavior, 9 of 10 times we get a colt, something with hormones..

On average - and in my experience - the minis seem to have a slightly shorter gestation than full size horses. LOTS of exceptions to that I know, and I've had some here, but I think the average on our farm is probably something like 320-325 days. My big mares were more likely to go past 330.

Jan

I agree with Jan on her average gestation.

Minis are just a bit different as far as how long they go. I always use 330 as my "due date". The fact is though that I consider anything after 300 fair game. The earliest I personally have had a live foal is 310 days. I have had one mare go 345 days. Most are around 330.

This is my vets explanation, take it for what it is worth to you but it makes sense to me. In very simple terms, the mare foals when the placenta/uterus runs out of room. A mini foal is about 10% of a mares weight vs a large horse which the foals are about 8-9% of their weight. Therefore the minis run out of room sooner than large horses. This is extremely oversimplified, but the just of her reasoning.

I guess what I am saying is, yes keep track of her gestation for your records and for next time you breed her, but she is going to foal when she is ready no matter how many days she is. There is an approximate time that they foal but it is not like dogs or cats that are right on the money with days pregnant. There is just too much deviation to count on any one day. So we watch for signs and signals that they are ready.

The bag is full, the teats are pointing down and full, the milk is white, the vulva is elongated and loose, also bright red inside, the tail has no tension when lifted, the muscles in the butt are soft and relaxed. Her temperment changes, she gets restless, stops eating, kicking/biting sides. Any or all of the above are a signal that you need to be with her and she is very close.

Oh and by the way, I think I would braid her tail and get it ready to wrap.
default_wink.png

Good thing you live where it was warm! If you guys had as much snow as we do here, that belly world be dragging on the snow!!
default_yes.gif

I would suspect that where you live has a big role in gestation. I am in Oregon and haven't had any early foals. One year Michelle at Wesco, Sandy at Eclipse and I averaged our foaling gestation and it came out at 328. Since then my mares have been closer to 340.

One last sign that your mare may decide to show just hours before foaling is waxing as my mare is showing in this photo.

I thought I could run to the store real quick a couple of hours after her doing this, and get back in time but the mare would not wait. I got back in time to see a dripping wet filly!

So if your mare does this be sure to watch her, as she is ready to foal.

Iceewaxing.jpg

One last sign that your mare may decide to show just hours before foaling is waxing as my mare is showing in this photo.

I thought I could run to the store real quick a couple of hours after her doing this, and get back in time but the mare would not wait. I got back in time to see a dripping wet filly!

So if your mare does this be sure to watch her, as she is ready to foal.
Hi Margaret, I have never had any of my miniature mares wax up, only my big horse mares believe it or not (bar my old TB mare, RIP, she never ever waxed up), lol.

Rayne has never been noted on her foaling card to have waxed neither.

But i turned the alarm back on, it cant be too far now, lol........
default_aktion033.gif

Thankyou everyone.
default_saludando.gif

Just a pic or 2, 1st is my Tb rescue mare (she has had 9 foals & is a 20yo), she foaled 2 wks after getting her, i got her the 15th July, she started bagging up on the 19th July & on the 1st Aug, she foaled.

This is her udder the night before she foaled.

new_31stjuly.jpg

This is my Stb mare, 2006, night before she foaled, she was a maiden.

tarahudder2.jpg

Latest posts

Back