Just got The Journal in the mail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know nothing about ponies but I wanted to chime in and say I have really enjoyed reading this topic and learning from those who show ponies.

I guess I kind of relate this discussion to race horses. Many people argue that it is cruel to run horses so hard their hearts "can" burst. But this is what they love to do. They run. Sometimes they love it too much. But it comes natural to them and yes, they can get hurt. And not everyone in the racing world has the horses best interest at heart. BUT they love to run, they were bred to run. Same with these ponies I think. They were bred for this movement. This is what they enjoy doing. Is slapping a runner with a crop or a bat cruel? Not if used correctly. Are the shoes put on these ponies cruel? I would tend to think not if they were used correctly. There are a few people in every group that are cruel by nature and these people give their sport a bad name. Doesn't make the whole sport bad.

I guess what I'm saying is that we need to have tolerance and try to understand each others passions before we jump to conclusions. Some things can look awkward or cruel if we don't know what we are looking at. But when it is explained to you by someone who has a love of the breed and knows the ins and outs of that breed it brings a whole new light to the situation.
aktion033.gif
So thanks to everyone on both sides of this discussion. I've learned a lot of things I didn't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess what I'm saying is that we need to have tolerance and try to understand each others passions before we jump to conclusions. Some things can look awkward or cruel if we don't know what we are looking at. But when it is explained to you by someone who has a love of the breed and knows the ins and outs of that breed it brings a whole new light to the situation.
aktion033.gif
So thanks to everyone on both sides of this discussion. I've learned a lot of things I didn't know.
I think that is very nicely said and would also like to extend my thanks to the pony people who have shared a lot of information on this thread. I've learnt a lot!

Anyone with interest in ponies (and Moderns in particular) should pay close attention to any posts by Roberts, Taylor, or Prince. They know what they are talking about!!!

Andrea

Also another Modern who is "moving" (no pun intended) to watch is Davey's Declaration with Mr Sanderson here in Area II - You want to talk about a real treat! There was a photo years ago in the journal of him kissing that pony that sticks in my head. Here is a photo I took of them after a Roadster In Hand class down at Greenville Ohio..

36684_1388610670307_1083294008_31006903_7509495_n.jpg
This pair is one of MY favorites... they are a very experienced team! They've done in-hand roadster more times than I've driven a car probably!!!

Andrea

Valshingle- If I told you that applying caustics to TWH causes no long term affects or bleeding pleasure horses produced no long term issues, does that make it right?
Sandy B - I really don't think that comparing hoof length and shoes to caustics and bleeding is an equal comparison. However, I am done trying to change your opinion. Perhaps your energy would be more constructively spent by submitting rule changes to the ASPC and ASPR.

Leanna, Carin, Jason, txminipinto, disneyhorse, and ahrobertspony - thanks for all the information. I very much enjoy continuing my learning curve.

If anyone has questions about Moderns ... my overriding passion in life ... feel free to contact me directly. You can reach me through the "contact us" option at Society Pony Online (www.societypony.com). For me, there is absolutely no point in continuing this discussion in any fashion here. Andrea, Matt, Carin, Leanna, MajorClementine, Valshingl, Wings ... it has been a pleasure discussing this subject with you. For those of you among that list who are new and taking the time to learn, as Modern owner, I say thanks. Dr Matt ... thanks for all of the good medical & professional information.

Amy Roberts Clark

Legacy Shetlands/Roberts Family Ponies

I agree with you. Horses are bred to perform certain tasks and some individuals will perform even when they shouldn't due to a injury or illness but have so much heart that they do not complain. From reading all the posts, it is evident that Modern Shetland Ponies are bred to trot with lots of animation and showy attitude. I think that is awesome. I have no doubt that these show ponies are well cared for in every aspect, but there seems to be a few that take it to the extreme (just like in any other breed). I saw lots of fantastic pictures in The Journal of Modern Ponies (I actually thought in the beginning they were over minis) that were shod and normal toed or maybe a bit long in the toe and had no issue with those at all. BUT, there are several Champions listed who sport incredibly long toes and thick pads and shoes. It is those ponies I find excessive and disturbing.

I too have learned a lot thanks to those who explained things respectfully and kindly. And I greatly appreciate those who have spent their time doing so.

I know nothing about ponies but I wanted to chime in and say I have really enjoyed reading this topic and learning from those who show ponies.

I guess I kind of relate this discussion to race horses. Many people argue that it is cruel to run horses so hard their hearts "can" burst. But this is what they love to do. They run. Sometimes they love it too much. But it comes natural to them and yes, they can get hurt. And not everyone in the racing world has the horses best interest at heart. BUT they love to run, they were bred to run. Same with these ponies I think. They were bred for this movement. This is what they enjoy doing. Is slapping a runner with a crop or a bat cruel? Not if used correctly. Are the shoes put on these ponies cruel? I would tend to think not if they were used correctly. There are a few people in every group that are cruel by nature and these people give their sport a bad name. Doesn't make the whole sport bad.

aktion033.gif

Sandy, I know a few have felt that you have attacked them & the modern ponies that a few of us show. I hope you've learned here that, like any other breed, we do love and care for our modern Shetland ponies, (sorry you just kept calling them over minis). Also, like in any other breed, some trainers/breeders do take things to the extreme. I hope that seeing a few of what you think of the extremes of the breed that you wouldn't be opposed to learning more about the breed and MAYBE, want to get in to showing/owning a few. I know quite a few breeders & trainers that would like to have someone in thier barn that loves & cares for thier ponies as much as they do.

Sandy, I know a few have felt that you have attacked them & the modern ponies that a few of us show. I hope you've learned here that, like any other breed, we do love and care for our modern Shetland ponies, (sorry you just kept calling them over minis). Also, like in any other breed, some trainers/breeders do take things to the extreme. I hope that seeing a few of what you think of the extremes of the breed that you wouldn't be opposed to learning more about the breed and MAYBE, want to get in to showing/owning a few. I know quite a few breeders & trainers that would like to have someone in thier barn that loves & cares for thier ponies as much as they do.

I have learned a great deal about your Modern Ponies and appreciate those that have taken the time to educate me about the breed. I never doubted that the majority of Shetland owners, especially show Shetlands owners, take exceptional care of their ponies. Their are many passionate owners/breeders/exhibitors in every breed. It is just very unfortunate when some individuals take it to the extreme and the judges use them. I deal with it in reining horses and prior to that pleasure horses. I will have to keep my eye open for a Shetland Pony show near me sometime and go watch. I would like to see more.

I've been reading this thread from the beginning, I too was thinking some of the hooves were too long, but after reading the responses I am now educated. I would like to thank the pony people for their responses and education. I've seen these guys in action, and they are beautiful to watch, but since I'm disabled I always thought they were too much pony for me, but, after reading about some of them having great temperments, maybe I'll go to a farm or two and try one out for myself. After being in the arab world for 30 yrs I love the look of eagles and the fire in the eye, but now need the fire with a gentleness.

Riverrose... with any breed there are always those gentle individuals who still have all of the talent that you could want. Surely you have seen that in the Arabians... there are a LOT of youth exhibitors... usually those proven kid-safe horses are out there doing their job!

There are plenty of ponies out there who love people and are good with kids. But are still fancy!

Andrea

Riverrose... with any breed there are always those gentle individuals who still have all of the talent that you could want. Surely you have seen that in the Arabians... there are a LOT of youth exhibitors... usually those proven kid-safe horses are out there doing their job!

There are plenty of ponies out there who love people and are good with kids. But are still fancy!

Andrea
Thank you, that is good to know! I know just the farm to visit, he is close by, just four hours away! Got to sell a few first.

On anothe note, hubby just bought me a cart and harness to drive my gransons mini, can't wait. He is trained just needs to be refreashed on the ground. I should have him hooked up by Dec. can't wait!

I've been reading this thread from the beginning, I too was thinking some of the hooves were too long, but after reading the responses I am now educated. I would like to thank the pony people for their responses and education. I've seen these guys in action, and they are beautiful to watch, but since I'm disabled I always thought they were too much pony for me, but, after reading about some of them having great temperments, maybe I'll go to a farm or two and try one out for myself. After being in the arab world for 30 yrs I love the look of eagles and the fire in the eye, but now need the fire with a gentleness.
Please check out the story on the winning-est Modern mare in Congress history ... visit www.societypony.com ... and click on the menu button for Ezine. There are ponies that can and will do it all.

THANKS to this thread and some of the thoughts it has sparked, the American Society Pony ezine is going to pursue some other articles that help spread the GOOD word about society ponies. Until then, I would also encourage you all to go back to your August issue of The Journal ... take a good look at the ad on page 29. This is one of the winning-est Modern/ASPR pleaure ponies ever. What you might no know ... this picture???? From the victory pass in the PMC class. Hats of to Howard Stables for using a great pony to give Michael his chance in the winners' circle.

Back