Looking for input, have you raised a draft, draft cross gypsy, please share

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
So I went to a yearly equine event, and for the second year in a row, I looked at the horses that were ambassadors for different farms. There were gypsy vanners there. Love checking out the breed, eventhough I have two, it gives one a good sense what I do and don't like in body style. Well for the second year in a row, a certain place had young horses that looked like they were lacking. Thinner stature, small, assumed by mane and tail length that their horses this year were yearlings. It also confirmed that I indeed have a huge boy on my hands at ten months old. Come to look up the site, well the horse was two years old!

So.....I know that draft breeds grow slow, I know you shouldn't push them to grow quick like is done in some other breeds, but what is too fast? My boy looks good, he looks healthy to me, not fat, not thin, just the smallest bit of a baby belly on him, and fuzzy. He was born big for the gypsy vanner breed, 10.1h and is currently 13.3 at the withers, 14.2 at the rump at ten months old. His parents were both a true 15.2h, again, larger for this breed. Cal was the largest foal ever born on this farm, breeder suspected he would be at least 15.2h, possibly 16h when done growing. He had some round worms when he came, we got that under control, but his coat and condition were lacking a little after that, dry rough coat and a little ribby, so I gave him calf manna, it did the trick wonderfully. Each day, broken down into two feedings, he gets a total of 3 pounds of 12 % pelleted feed, a cup of calf manna AM and PM and free choice Timothy field grass mix out of a slow feeder. I add water to his feed and some oil to his feed to keep him lubed in the winter months, I will discontinue the oil at the end of March when it warms up. Oil as we know, only adds fat, no nutrients. I don't think what I am feeding is packed with an excessive amount of nutrients to force growth, but after seeing the youngsters from this farm for a second year in a row, that are on the verge of skinny, am I doing something wrong? Am I suppose to keep him that lank in order to ensure slow growth? I always thought, regardless of the breed and age, you keep them at a weight that they are not ribby, but you can still feel the ribs when slight pressure is applied, as well as paying attention to the healthiness if their coat and hooves.

Please give me some input if you have experience with young drafty breeds and their growth rates as well as examples of what you have fed them.

Carolyn-I have zero experience with any large horse breeds, let alone draft breeds, BUT I do know that many large horse breeders are under the impression that you should not feed them up quickly and most of the time that is false. Quarter horse breeders will feed and exercise to create a lot of bulk at an early age and since then the rumours have spread. You really can not force growth (upwards, that is)-a horse will grow at the rate its body allows. You can only hinder it with malnourishment. Too much weight can cause problems at an early age while they are growing, but you are not going to run into problems unless your boy is fat or you add too much bulk, and from the sounds of it you don't have anything to worry about. There are some great articles online that you can look up-you just have to dig some to find them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to contact Andrea (Disneyhorse). I believe she has experience with the heavy breeds.
default_smile.png

I just remeasured him, and if many of the articles I have read on the draftier breeds are on target, a one year old should grow an approx. two hands more to reach their adult height. I measured him from center of the knee to the coronary band and also from the elbow to the center of the fetlock joint, then rotated back up from the elbow upward to see where his withers should end up ( approx). Both ended up at 16h, so 13.3 at 10 months is a pretty on target according to what I have read. His ribs are not visible, but are easily felt. He is starting to broaden in his chest, but given how broad his dam was, he will fill out much more. I have seen about 130-140 horses of this breed, about 100 of those from a very large farm in NY, Cal's dam is one of the largest mares I have seen in person, in both height and bulk.

The other GVs at this equine event looked good, they were all young adults, under 7, I would guess. Nice builds, firm and toned, but have not gotten the filled out look you see in the 9 and 10+ year olds of the breed.

Please keep the info coming on growth, nutrition and feed for these types of breeds ( haflingers and fjords would fall into these catagories too).

Latest posts

Back